How much do your sports cost?

>> 4.22.2010

Let's take a little break from all of this appliance and table talk (sorry if I'm boring you with it!) and do another "How Much" budget breakdown. This time, I'd like to look at one of my bigger expenses: my sports (swim-bike-run). I think there are a few different ways to enjoy sports: as a spectator, for exercise, and by competing. I do a little of each and here's how much it costs me:

Spectating: $0/ year
Austin doesn't have any major professional teams and buying tickets to any UT games costs more than I want to spend now that I'm not enrolled in any classes. For now, I'm sticking to cheering for the local marathon and triathlons then watching other sports on TV.

Exercise/ Training: $450/ year
If I started running, swimming, and cycling from scratch, I'm sure I'd be spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars collecting everything I need ($800 bicycle, $50 helmet, $75 cycling shoes, $150+ clothes for running/ cycling, $50 swimsuit... wow!) Now that I've been participating in those sports for a few years, there are only a few pieces of new gear that I need to pick up each year:

These were kinda free..

Running clothes: $0
Thankfully, many of the races I participate in include technical running shirts with the entry fee. Having an ever-growing collection of shirts makes it so that I don't have to spend anything on tops. Honestly, my sock, sports bra and short collection is pretty set as well.

Running shoes: $350
Buying new shoes every 300-400 miles is a MUST for any runner wanting to prevent injury (and awful blisters). Usually my Brooks shoes cost around $100 after the coupons that I use at my local running store. If I luck out and find my favorite shoe on sale, I'll always buy more than one pair (my dad uses online stores to buy all of his shoes on sale).

Swimming gear: $60
I'll usually buy a new swimsuit and pair of goggles each year.

Pool fees: $40
During the summer I can swim in the public pools for free, but I usually have to spend around $40 in pool entry fees during the off-season so that I can keep in triathlon shape.

Cycling gear: $0
I'm so thankful that I've already bought these things! Jerseys can cost $50-100 and shorts go for around the same. Don't even get me started on Nate's gear (somebody has a $2,000 bike!).

Competition: $678
What can I say, it really motivates me to have a race to train for! Nate and I keep ourselves busy by running races all winter then competing in triathlons in the summer. I never feel guilty about participating because I know that most of the money goes to charity. Here's a breakdown of where that money went in the past year(April 2009- March 2010):
(You can see my shadow taking the picture on the bottom left.)
April: $30 10k; $25 5k
May: $50 sprint tri (promotional price)
June: $45 70 mile bike ride
July: $85 sprint tri
Oct: $30 10k
Sept: $30 marathon relay
Nov: $23 5 mile; $50 10 mile
Dec: $50 1/2 marathon
Jan: $55 1/2 marathon; $50 20 mile
Feb: $125 marathon
March: $30 10k
I said that we keep busy...

Grand total: $1,128/ year or $94/ month
Now you know what I do with the money I save on groceries!

How much do you spend on your sports? Anyone have season tickets for an NFL team? Do you participate in a really expensive sport like horseback riding or  yacht racing?

PS What music do you like to listen to while you run? I have a 5k in a week and I'd like to download a few new songs.

Jacquelin Seybert April 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Hmmm...

$25/month gym membership
$55per person for snow lift tickets (we go an average of 3x per year)
$250 on average to fuel our friends boats for wakeboarding in the summer.

Not too shabby. We're also hoping to invest in a bike for my hubby this year and a bike rack for my car.

Kim at Yellow Brick Home April 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Wow! Look at you! Congrats on all the runs - it's very inspiring!

I can't really do a break down since it was many moons ago, but I played ice hockey for 7 years. My parents must have loved me very much, because it sure ain't cheap. :)

I remember having tournaments in Canada where they actually sell gear for a woman, and it was like Disneyland! Of course, the prized possession is the skates, which are several hundred dollars.

Angela April 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Scared to calculate, but here we go:

$25 per month for gym membership
$125 per month for synchronized skating team fees (9 months a year)
$100 annually for figure skating club membership (required)
$200 per month for coaching fees (singles skating)
$140 per month for ice time (singles)
$1000 annually for travel to competitions
$500 annually for apparel and other fees (like testing)

Most of these are low estimates, but I figure I'm at least in the ice rink on this (if not at center ice).

Total cost annually for me to figure skate = $7,105

Keeping my sanity = priceless

evitafjord April 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I don't spend enough on it, that's for sure.

What are the shoes in the picture? They look very similar to a pair I was contemplating online yesterday. Are those the ones you love?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM

@evitafjord~ I switch models from time to time, but I always use Brooks (just because they work best for me)! My current favorites are Brooks Defyance 3.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic April 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Um...$40 in entrance fees to Shenandoah National Park is all I can think of.

We're hikers. My Asolo boots were about $150, but I bought them three years ago and they are still going strong. We probably spend more on picnic food than on actual hiking gear. :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

@Angela~ I can totally understand! I'm lucky that the roads I run on are free. I'm sure that I'd pay whatever it took if I needed to.

@Jeannine~ Hiking is a good one for keeping things cheap! ...that is unless you get hooked and want to start climbing. All of those ropes and other gear is also expensive.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Jenny @ Anything Pretty April 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I am like you and spent a whole lot of money when I was starting sports. Now it is just new running shoes and some random new workout clothes. And sadly doctor's co-pays trying to figure out what is going on with my ankle...