It's the thought that counts...

>> 4.26.2010

Yesterday wasn't the greatest. I think it was probably better than Friday... I guess it all depends if you'd rather have an emergency visit from the plumber or electrician.

To make a long story short: I ended up with some carnations.

I love carnations. They might be my favorite flowers. Not only is the price always right, but the colors are too fun and I love the ruffled girly look when I create little bunches out of them.

Not everyone shares my love for the carnation.
When Nate went through the grocery store checkout, he came across one of those people. Instead of the usual, "have a great day!" she decided, "it's the thought that counts" was the most appropriate gesture.
How rude!

Any other carnation lovers out there? Are there any cheap treats that you would take over the more expensive options... Old Navy over Nordstrom? Big Mac over a filet mignon? Pittsburgh over Paris?

PS Obviously I used my cheapo garage sale vases ($.25 each) to show them off in. I can't wait to see what you all link up with for The Challenge tomorrow. The Linky will be open bright and early!

Ashley @ The Design Thief April 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I love carnations too!! I love that they are inexpensive, smell GREAT, look awesome in huge bunches!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM

That woman is ridiculous! He bought them from her store, after all.
I do prefer cheap clothes over expensive because, well, I buy a lot of them, and I get sick of them easily. Not cool when it is a $50 cardigan I don't want to wear anymore! Also, Old Navy and Target are more 'on' with the trends and cute colors than a Nordstom or Macy's, at least I think so. And as far as knits and tops go, quality really isn't much better at expensive places.

Beth April 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I'm with you on carnations! I'll take them over roses any day! They smell better and last WAY longer than roses do!

astarterhouse April 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

big mac over filet mignon anyday...infact, my husband and I went to firehouse subs on our anniversary - I can't get enough of their subs and it may sound "cheap" to some, but I personally don't always enjoy overpaying for food and small little portions. And if you've ever had a firehouse sub, you know they are amazing!

Audreya April 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

David got me some daffodils a few weeks ago (when they were growing everywhere... but he got them from the florist so they had a pretty vase and ribbon) and yes, I got some of the "Oooh, daffodils" type thing. Like it doesn't "count" if it's not roses or something. But for me, I'd much rather the daffodils. :-) Aside from my handbag habit, I'm normally quite the Target shopper. Most things can be just as nice without having to be "fancy".

Some people...

LizzieBeth April 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM

haha, how hasn't anyone mentioned the Charlotte line 'but they are filler flowers!!!"

I love carnations for the same reasons you listed- all pretty colors and they are so frilly. I love all things girly :)

Kristi W @ Life at the Chateau Whitman April 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I'm a carnation love as well! They are just the perfect flower. Inexpensive, fragrant, and pretty. What more could you ask for?

Kate April 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I can't believe someone said that - That's ridiculously rude! It was super sweet of Nate to buy them for you. I really like flowers, but I have a black thumb so they never last very long in my house. The Hubs has learned to do things instead of buying me presents - I swear I think it's the sweetest thing in the world when he does an extra load of dishes!

Jen April 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I have always loved carnations and actually prefer them to roses. I just read your waterpark post below and am glad you were able to keep your sense of humor during the ordeal. In the picture you seem to be very happy about the whole mess as if you are at a waterpark. You probably would have been crying if you were not prepared with an emergency fund.

Mrs. Chic April 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM

lol! I like carnations, they get a bad wrap! I also love baby's breath its so pretty and simple and pure...I love it just by its self with no roses! lol

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

@astarterhouse~ People always get mad at me around my birthday because I never want to go out to a special restaurant. It was buffet Indian food and a DQ ice cream cake for me last year :). I'd much rather have something tasty and cheap!

@Jen~ I said the exact same thing! I wasn't at all giddy about the mess, but no tears were needed. Those types of things are bound to happen and I'm lucky to have been ready for it!

Meg April 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

What a ninny! I know, getting crazy with the language over here.

I think carnations are beautiful. So sweet and delicate and pretty. And, I hope I don't start a riot here, but roses aren't my favorite. White ones are pretty, but the deep red ones aren't nearly as pretty as carnations in my opinion!

What a thoughtful guy! It sounds like you're both lucky. :)

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner May 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Those carnations are beautiful - great photos! I am also a stickler for more "simple" things in life over the more extravagant.

Ann May 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I don't care what anyone says I love carnations too