New Kitchen Appliances!

>> 4.16.2010

As you read this, I'm out shopping for my new kitchen appliances! Remember that old, ugly, semi-dead, off-white refrigerator? Well, it's scheduled to be on its way out tomorrow. Thanks to a little federal stimulus program along with six hours of hard work, I've earned myself rebates towards a new refrigerator and dishwasher.

If you know me at all, you won't be surprised that I'm not waltzing into the nearest Sears or Home Depot to grab the first appliance that catches my eye! Since reserving the rebates, I've spent the past two weeks researching stores to find the best possible deals. I knew I needed to get my facts together quickly because there is only a small window in which I can use my rebates (April 16-25). By going into all of the major stores in my area (Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, Fry's, Best Buy) and speaking face-to-face with the employees, I've received a ton of useful and honest information.  Let's look at what I've learned along the way!

There are five major questions that you need to ask when buying an appliance:

1. Is it what I want/ an upgrade for my space? Well, duh. Make a list of requirements for your appliance and stick to them no matter what special deals and rebates you are offered. [My refrigerator list includes: freezer bottom, drawer without wires, ice maker included in freezer, stainless or stainless look, no black on exterior, final price under $1,000. My dishwasher list includes: stainless or stainless look, integrated controls preferred, handle preferred, options for storage of larger items, under $500.]

Something like this would be nice... but not with that price tag!

How much? Watch out for those tricky extras!
2. Installation? Refrigerators are usually free, but dishwashers, ovens, and over-the-range microwaves all usually have extra fees. I came across a range of prices for dishwasher installation during my research: $99 Lowe's/ $80 Fry's/ $120 Best Buy/ $130-180 Sears/ $99 Home Depot.
3. Delivery? Another range of prices: $0 Lowe's (with promotion)/ $60 Fry's/ $30 Best Buy/ $0 (with $65 rebate) Sears/ $0 Home Depot. Most places charge one delivery fee per home, but make sure to ask when you're buying more than one item.
4. Parts? There will usually be small add-ons for water valves or installation kits. These extra part kits can range between $12-30 and the stores are required to sell them to you so that the installation is up to code. The Lowe's employee told me that I could use the one I have (if up to code) and return the one I'm required to buy.
5. What is the total and how much would it be at another store*? I was excited to hear that Sears was having 30% off of Energy Star appliances during the rebate period... but not so excited when I started looking closely at the prices!
Dishwasher X at Sears: $800 with 30% off= $560 + $150 install +$10 parts= $720
Dishwasher X at Lowe's: $580 with 10% off= $522 + $99 install  +$11 parts= $632
Lowe's might have the smaller sale, but started with a lower price on the product and lower additional fees. I think you can see which store I quickly crossed off of my list!
*Don't forget to pit those stores against each other when they offer to do a price match!

Time-saving trick: Use your camera to take pictures of the models you're interested in. This way, you'll have the model #, price, and store saved all in one click.

I don't want any bad juju so I'll wait until after I have the appliances in my home to share all of the pricing details (it's going to be good!). Where do you think I decided to buy them from? Is anyone else doing the Cash for Appliances Program?

PS Make sure that you're working with a well-informed sales associate when you do ask these questions; I definitely got mixed messages from a few people.

The Brick Cottage April 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Great tips! I would be so excited buying new appliances. Happy shopping!

Ashley Mutschler April 16, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I might try and trade in my ancient washer and dryer and get some new, sleek front loaders. Good luck to you!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I have no doubt you will pick affordable yet functional appliances! Just make sure your dishwasher has a way to vent the steam. On one of the blogs I read (I can't for the life of me remember which one) they had to take back a dishwasher because the steam just escaped out the sides and ruined their cabinets! DUH, what a stupid design flaw.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

It was 'Jen and Dave's Reno', they picked the Frigidaire dishwasher and it sucked. So pick something else! haha

Monica April 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I have new appliance and rebate envy! I've been reading you for about a week :) I love the table and chairs, gorgeous!

chacha April 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM

FYI, dishwasher install is EASY. You really don't need to pay someone to do it (esp. $99!). I've done it 5 or 6 times now. I've even replaced parts on my KitchenAid one I got from CraigsList.

Essentially, all appliance installs are easy DIYs.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

@Sara~ Wow, I was thisclose to getting a Frigidiare! It seems like there are horror stories about almost all of the mid-range brands so hopefully I picked out some OK appliances.

@chacha~ Nate installed the sink and saved us $240! I thought I might give him a break and pay for the install on the new dishwasher... he really stressed out about the sink.

Livinia Redlips April 16, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I just bought new front loading washer/dryer @ Sears - on sale, rebate for the delivery & install, plus $100 rebate from the utility co., plus $100 rebate from the state (for energy star appliance purchase).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM

@Livinia~ Wow, talk about layering on the savings!

Tovah April 16, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I can't wait to see what you ended up with. It's been a long time coming but I bet your kitchen will look fabulous!:) And I definitely want to see your price break down, you have done a lot more research than I would have! (And I bet you got an awesome deal because of it.)

Life in Rehab April 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I'm not sure, but I'll be back to find out!

I've never found Sears to be the best value in appliances.

toneyahuja October 5, 2010 at 2:36 AM

It is nice information on . I am finding online shopping sites which are assisted to buy homebasics . http://hombasics.com/ items like Steamers, Home Safety, Fans, / Air Purifiers, Garage Tools, Kitchen Knives, Pots & Pans, Home Office Stereo Systems.

AtoZ July 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Awesome post a great source of information regarding Home & Garden Accessories. Thanks for this wonderful post.

Gregory August 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM

It is useful information for everyone. I also always make a shopping list to buy a new kitchen appliance because this is very important for me to know what I need and I can find out the budget. Thank you for sharing...

Gregory October 7, 2011 at 4:09 AM

I agree with what you plan on shopping. We really should be watching it cost to keep them save on the household budget. This will be an inspiration for many people who will shop in order to save expenses. Thanks for sharing information.

Thomas Joseph March 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Appliances that Adorn with the artistic designs and folks will simply love to buy.

Kevin Roberts May 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Upgrading your kitchen appliances because of space adjustment is quite a valid argument. I believe this drives the majority out there to replace their kitchen appliance. But before jumping to conclusions about where to buy from, its better to survey the whole market before settling on any one. It might save you a whole lot of trouble. Thanks for this insightful post.