Table and Chairs: The After!

>> 4.14.2010

I'll come back later with better quality photos and a budget breakdown, but here's a peek at my finished Craigslist table and chairs project:
*Don't mind the art (which still has an IKEA as-is tag on it), unswept floor, or open drawers...

Remember where I started?

The after is more my style. I'm so glad that I decided to stain the table!

Here are the other two chairs that will stay in the office until we need them for dinner. Nate decided to go with the darker version of the geometric pattern for his chair while I went for a girly floral. I can't wait to show you how I'm going to tie the two together in this space.

Now for the new dilemma: Looking at the white chairs in the dining room, I'm wondering if a white buffet might be too much white... what do you all think?

Should I do something like this:

this:

or this?
(think: light chairs, dark table and buffet... I know my room isn't going to look like this!)

Don't forget to check out more dilemmas at the party!

I hope to see you back here next Tuesday, April 27th for the Garage Sale Challenge!!

Jacquelin Seybert April 14, 2010 at 10:05 AM

The chairs look awesome!!! Perfect for the parsons desk and your dining room table :)

Babs April 14, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Kasey they look great! Nice job!

I don't think a white buffet would be too much since you also have the hardwood floors. All depends on the look you're going for :)

m April 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Nice job with the dining table & chairs! What color stain did you use?

Re: a white buffet, I think the big concern would be that it would blend in with the walls?? (they seem white on my computer screen

double z April 14, 2010 at 10:11 AM

What about painting the buffet black to pick up on the white/black pattern on the chairs?

The Brick Cottage April 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM

It looks great! I love the pendant you have hanging over the table. I also don't think the buffet will add too much white. But then again, I can never have too much white furniture. :) I wonder how the buffet would look if you stained the lower portion like your table but painted the small hutch portion white or vise versa. Or you could paint it a completely different color all together and really go for an eclectic look. I think it's going to look great whatever you decide to do with it!

hiphousegirl April 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I don't think it would be too much white, it just depends on your preference. The FABric is FAB!! You did a great job! And I'm totally jealous of that desk you found.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM

@m~ The stain is Minwax "Dark Walnut." I wrote all about the staining process "here."

The walls are actually a really light grey. You probably can't tell thanks to my bad photography.

@The Brick Cottage~ Going with a two-toned look did cross my mind.

@Double Z~ Hmm, I haven't thought of that! Maybe I need to do a little photoshopping to work through all of these ideas!

Danielle and Clint April 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Great job Kasey!!! It looks awesome! I would stain the buffet darker.

Nicole R.J. April 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Wow, great job! The chairs & table look great!

If your walls are a light grey, a white buffet would look great! Depends on how 'light' you want the room to look.

Kate April 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Love it! The fabric on the chairs is awesome too. I know you worked hard on the table and it shows! It looks great!

Even though it's more work, my vote is for staining the buffet the same walnut as the table. I think white could also look great, but if you plan on putting things on top of the buffet regularly the paint might start to chip. Staining will hold up a bit better and you won't need to touch it up. That's just my two cents though, paint might work just fine too. :) I'm really no help here ...

And I LOVE that light!

Flavia @ Estilo Home April 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Looks great! I especially love the chairs with each of the fabrics you picked out.
I think a white buffet would look nice!

oneluckycouple April 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM

The table and chairs look FANTASTIC! Great job!

Sara April 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM

WOW. What an improvement. The table and chairs look AWESOME. I love the mix and match fabric. I thought immediately that the buffet should be white once I saw the finished product but a bright color might be fun too for a pop of color.

onegrandhome April 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Good lookin'. I don't think it is too much white though I look forward to seeing how you bring color into the dining area with accessories. (And food. Delicious, delicious food.)

Elisa @ whatthevita April 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM

What about white, with dark knobs?

Looks GREAT so far!

Mrs. Chic April 14, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I like the white buffet would be nice or even a color, if yuor afraid its too much white.

Everything turned out very nice!! Great job

Steph April 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Good job!
And hey...I saw your cake on Cake Wrecks today. Woohoo! :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM

@Steph~ I know, I'm SOOO excited!! I emailed Nate about it right away :).

chacha April 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM

So I was looking at the buffet and thinking about the white also potentially being too much white. I think dark brown stain is potentially too much, as well.

So black crossed my mind as potential to pick up the seat covers fabric. What also crossed my mind was a grey-blue (Layla at The Lettered Cottage has a nice grey-blue on her dining chairs). Something muted but between white and black with a touch of a color.

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life April 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I love the look of the dark table and white chairs!

I think the buffet would look amazing with a nice pop of color! If you don't like it... you could always paint it again!! :)

micah @ the yellow front door April 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Kasey, it looks AMAZING!! I'd love to see the buffet painted a fun color that coordinates with your decor. Yellow? Red? Blue?

miss corner cape April 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM

looks great, and i like the different wood tones you've got going on.

frugalapolis April 14, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Looks great, you've done a lot of hard work and its awesome. Love your pics!

Ashley Mutschler April 15, 2010 at 9:24 AM

You did a great job on the final product! I love it!!

Life in Rehab April 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM

That looks fantastic, really! I vote white for the buffet with a couple of coats of sealer to make it care free.

Christie, Describe Happy April 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I really like the result of this project! And I think a white buffet would be modern and appropriate!! Looking forward to your next project!

Jenny April 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It looks great! Love the chairs!
And I think a white buffet would look super awesome with it!

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog April 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

It's looking gorgeous! It's good to see that the table was able to make a recovery after all the stress with the staining.

As far as the buffet, what if you stain the entire skeleton piece but paint the drawers white?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM

@Dolores~ I was thinking about doing that!

Kim April 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Much, much better! I like the style of furniture you found, too.

Lauren April 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Your dining room is really starting to come together. You have some really great ideas to think about for the buffet.. can't wait to see what you decide! :)

Carrie April 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I'm over from the party! Great job on the dining table! And I'd... go... with.... look #3! Love the look of that room and I can tell with your talent that it will look just as good as the inspiration room when you're finished. Following you now, so I'm looking forward to seeing the progress!

April Force Pardoe April 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Looks great! I would paint the cabinet either high gloss black or white. Either would pop in that space and add a nice contrast to the table - but tie in with the chairs.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! ~ April, designforlivingblog.com

Anna April 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Looks great! Have you considered painting the buffet white and staining the tops the color of the table? I think that would bring it all together really nicely.

Anna (via Decorating Dilemmas)

Sarita April 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Awesome room!!! My vote is to paint the buffet or stain it a really dark wood, and maybe keep the top white like the 2nd photo. LOVE the look! Maybe I'll paint some of this furniture I have around my house one day.

Amanda @ Serenity Now April 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Great job updating that piece! I really like what you used to cover the chairs with. :)

I think all of your options are great. Maybe you should try staining the buffet first, and if it needs something more, prime and paint the top.

Thanks so much for linking up! Hope you're having fun "partying." ;)

Ann April 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Wow I LOVE that last dining room... may have to save that photo to my "Inspiration file"!!! Love the table and chairs good job. I'd go with the darker buffet myself, but I'm a big fan of contrasts.

Laura April 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I am thinkin' black would look great. But then, someone said a color- and I love that idea too! White would work if your walls were a bit darker, but does seem too light with your wall color.

You did a great job on the table and chairs. just beautiful!

Kendall April 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I love the white buffet idea. I also think white bottom with wood stained top would look great too!

Richella April 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hi! I'm stopping by from Amanda's party, and I just wanted to say that your white chairs look beautiful!

I think I like the look of Dining Room #3. In that room, like your dining room, the white chairs provide a lot of drama. It might lessen the drama to do another piece of furniture in white. If I were you, I'd probably try doing the sideboard in the same stain as the table. You can always paint over stain if you end up wishing you'd gone with white.

Have fun!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage April 21, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Wow that looks great so far!!! :) I vote white...

Kristy April 21, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Visiting from the Decorating Dilemmas party...

I think an all-white buffet would be beautiful, and definitely not too much white. But here's another idea - white on the bottom, dark stain on the top (the reverse of photo #2)

Good luck!

FrouFrouBritches April 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I like the reverse of #2 - white on bottom, stained top or #3, very elegant looking. Your table looks GREAT!

jenjen April 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM

WOW - you did a wonderful job. I love the fabric you used. And the white chairs are so fresh and pretty!

Love it!

XOXO
Jen

Jeni @ peppertowne.com April 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM

You pulled your dining room together beautifully. It does look like one of those design photos. wow!

Sherri @ Design2Shine April 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I like the reverse of #2 idea also. Cabinet white, dark stain on top. I love the table now, it really pops! But yes, the buffet 'needs' something to pull it into the look and feel of the rest you have going on.

Jessica April 22, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I think paint the buffet white and then use dark accent pieces in the room to go with the table.
Nice job! :-)