Taxes: check!

>> 4.12.2010

I just wanted to do a little follow up on my "yes, I am a giant tax procrastinator" confession… they’re finished! After much stress over the pile of tax-related papers sitting ready to be sorted through (I did buy my first house this year), I decided on using an online program to do my taxes. The rewards credit card that Nate and I have offered 25% off with TurboTax so I decided to give them a shot.

The whole thing was pretty stress-free. I just went step by step through the series of questions that the software asked...

...and I had finished my taxes before I knew it! I did the entire thing in a couple hours while I watched HGTV's Saturday night lineup (I can't get enough of Sarah's House).

The fact that I'm getting a nice refund might have made the whole process a little easier to handle. The direct deposit should come on April 16... just in time for my new kitchen appliance rebates to be put to use!

I wasn't paid by TurboTax to write up my experience with them... I actually gave them $38 (25% off with credit card; no state taxes needed). If you're shaky about doing your taxes alone, I'd go for it. Just make sure that you don't pay them with your refund and add an unnecessary $25 fee.

How did you do your taxes? Did you use a cheaper online filing program that's just as easy to follow?

Kate April 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I've used Turbo Tax for a couple years and have no complaints (although I also have fairly simple taxes too). Never pay full price for it though, you can find links for x% off all over the place.

I finally started my taxes over the weekend too ... I just haven't hit "submit" yet!

The Brick Cottage April 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM

We used H&R Block and I think price was about the same. Also super easy!

Babs April 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I usually use Turbo Tax but with the purchase of the house and a few other big changes, I handed everything over to my business CPA who did them for me this year. LOL, he's amazing and found all kinds of ways to get me money back, but now I owe him money!

Glad to hear it all went smoothly for you!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life April 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I will always stick with TurboTax. I've been using them for 4 years, they remember my info and I think its just so easy. I think their fee is totally reasonable too!

Heather @ McKinney Living April 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM

We used Turbo Tax for the first time this year and LOVED it. Well worth the money for the extra piece of mind - and the graphic are cute, which made it kind of fun! :)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses April 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM

We paid about $750 more than you to do our taxes with an accountant who specializes in areas that we're invested in. Ugh. I cringe just thinking about it.

But, I will say, it was worth every, single penny and I wouldn't consider doing it any other way for our circumstances. It was also a few hundred dollars cheaper than my accountant would have charged us (it was our first year filing together and we used my husband's guy), so I can't complain.

My best friend has used Turbo Tax for years and swears it's the best thing EVER!

Kelly

Jeannine @ Small and Chic April 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM

My father is a retired i-banker who gleefully does my taxes. It's pretty cute.

His goal in life is to die penniless so "Uncle Sam" doesn't get anything from him (his words, not mine).

He's been doing my taxes since I started filing and last year, he made a mistake for the first time. I realized that the time is coming for me to do this myself...he's getting quite old. :(

Katie April 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Thankfully my dad's an accountant so he does them every year for free. :)

chacha April 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM

We used a CPA because I had 1099 income, and then we had a bunch of tax credits from the car and energy efficiency stuff.

Your refund amount isn't too large so I'll bet you get it by the 16th. I e-filed on 3/6 and I'm STILL waiting. I'm kinda p.o'ed about it b/c it's nearly 10K. Generic 1201 delay code which is a catch-all. Booo. I'm totally changing my witholding this week to be more accurate so I'm not waiting for my $$$ again next April. At this rate, I'd rather pay them at year-end.

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog April 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I've used TurboTax for a few years now and they are simply thee best! BTW I too am expecting my refund on the 16th.

But I'm curious, did you take advantage of the first time home buyers tax credit?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 12, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I'm almost glad that I don't receive a significant amount of extra income or own several homes so that my taxes aren't as complicated... :| For now, Turbo is great!

@Dolores~ You don't actually have to wait until April to claim the tax credit... here's a form will allow you to claim the credit by amending it to the previous year's taxes:
So, people who buy homes in May can just amend their 2009 taxes and get the credit early.

hiphousegirl April 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You may have caught in my "100 things" list that one time I didn't do my taxes for 3 years- now THAT'S procrastinating. Good thing I was a student and they owed me and not the other way around.

I did my taxes at a local volunteer place called VITA- Volunteer Income Tax Accounting or something like that. I don't even think there is an income cap (if there was I'm sure I would still qualify- heh), but it's free and awesome. I found out about it because my boyfriend's mom volunteers there, so she did them all for me. They have awesome software that can find your maximum refunds. I got some goodies because I got a new energy efficient furnace, among other things.

I live in Utah but you may be able to find a free volunteer place in your own state! No shame in taking volunteers up on their offers!

miniannalee April 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I use Tax Act it's just as easy as Turbo Tax but only cost me $13.95 for state taxes. Federal is free. I used Turbo Tax two years ago and switched to Tax Act last year after a coworker told me about it.
It also remembers your entries from last year so I finished my taxes in about 45 minutes.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

@miniannalee~ Thanks for the tip! I'll have to remember that for next year!!

Aimee April 12, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I second the TaxActOnline.com recommendation! I've been using them for about 4 years and it's as easy as Turbo Tax, they remember all your info from 1 year to the next and most importantly it's the cheapest rate I've found! I bought my first place this year, and had an energy star credit for new windows and it walked me through it in no time.

Aimee

Jenny @ Anything Pretty April 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Another Turbo Tax user! In previous years we paid a CPA but after looking through the return and realizing it really was not complicated, we did it ourselves this year. It was so nice to save money on that (but stinks that we owed Uncle Sam like always)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I've used Taxslayer.com for years, it only costs me $15 to file my federal and state returns, plus it is just as easy and looks quite similar to the Turbo Tax you showed here. And you don't need a coupon, it's always $15!! Love it!

jbnmikki April 13, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I used tax act also. Since federal is free you could just use that as a basis for doing your state yourself, but I think it only ended up costing about $20. i think it was worth it.
michele

onegrandhome April 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM

After years of filing with TurboTax, I just refused to spend $40 on filing and did our 1040A on pen and paper and it was honestly almost as easy and free. I'm pretty math-inept but I just took my time and nailed it.

Anonymous,  April 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I use the free version of turbo tax.