They're New and They're Fabulous!

>> 4.19.2010

Lowest price winner!

As you might remember, I not only hated the look of my refrigerator, but it started to break down on me. These reasons alone had me out searching for new appliances, but the Cash for Appliances program made the whole thing even sweeter. Let's look at how I did budget-wise:
Samsung Bottom Mount Refrigerator
List Price: $1,078.19
Refrigerator part: +$11.97
Lowe's Energy Star promotion (10% off): -119.81
Delivery and install: +0
In store cost with 8.25% sales tax: $1,050.40
Texas Cash for Appliances rebate: -$240
Texas Cash for Appliances Recycling rebate: -$75
Austin Refrigerator Recycling rebate: -$50
Adjusted total cost for refrigerator: $685.40 (It met all of my requirements and the price fell waaay below my $1,000 budget.)

Not only was the federal government bribing me to upgrade my energy-sucker, but I learned that my city (Austin) also offers incentive for green upgrades. I scheduled them to come out and haul my refrigerator on Saturday and for my their troubles, I get a $50 check! Make sure that you check for these types of programs in your area.

Thrifty tip: If you miss out on the Cash for Appliances program in your area, make sure to check and see if your state has plans for an Energy Star tax-free holiday. Texas has one Memorial Day weekend.

Extra thrifty bonus... I'm going to save an estimated $150-200 off my yearly energy bills with an Energy Star refrigerator. My new fridge should pay for itself in 3-4 years!

Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher
List price: $599
Lowe's sale price (19% off): -$113.81
Parts: +$14.98
In store cost with 8.25% sales tax: $458.90
Delivery: +0
Install: +$99
Texas Cash for Appliances rebate: -$110
Texas Cash for Appliances Recycling rebate: -$75
Adjusted total cost for dishwasher: $372.90

Extra thrifty bonus... I'll save around $40 per year with the new dishwasher  so it should pay for itself in 9 years. Okay, not as impressive, but still a good buy. I think the fact that we won't have to go upstairs to get away from the loud noises when it's running will make up for the difference :).

I feel  really lucky to have scored two rebates through the Cash for Appliances program  (especially when I run into angry people in the appliance department...). I wasn't actually planning on replacing my dishwasher so soon, but I couldn't resist the extra savings! As you can see, I didn't go for the cheapest model possible. With the savings, I went ahead and got something that I've been eyeing for the past few months:
Say hello to my new Whirlpool Gold convection oven! This model was exactly what I was looking for and had the extra $100 rebate incentive through bulk purchases with Whirlpool Gold. I can't tell you how excited I am for the five burners, even cooking, and self cleaning feature!

Whirlpool Gold Gas Range:
List price: $999
Lowe's sale price: -$100
Parts: +$32.98
In store cost with 8.25% sales tax: $855.09
Delivery: +0
Install: +$200 (this includes a $75 gas line safety upgrade that I might not need)
Whirlpool Gold bulk rebate: -$100
Adjusted total cost for range: $955.09 (I splurge too sometimes, but don't worry... I promise I'll use that convection oven's even cooking for all it's worth!)

Total appliance savings: $983.62 edit: $1,013.62* how can I leave out the $30 we're getting back by using the rewards credit card?!
*This number doesn't include all of the savings from pricing out all of the stores. I would have paid much more by going through a different store.

In my opinion, upgrading appliances can be a very thrifty choice if:
*You're faced with large money-saving incentives or deals.
*The upgrade ends up paying for itself.
*The upgrade will help to sell your home.
*You'll make a significant impact on the environment.
*The purchase benefits charity.

Are you on the hunt for new appliances? What features do you look for in your appliance purchases?

PS I'm linking up to one of my favorite blog parties:
Speaking of parties, I hope to see you come back here for the Garage Sale Challenge on Tuesday, April 27th!!

Kate April 19, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Nice! looks like you got some great deals. Do we get photos of these awesome energy efficient machines in your kitchen?! And I love the Seinfeld reference ;)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM

@Kate~ Of course... but I only have the refrigerator right now. The dishwasher and stove should be installed in the next two weeks.

Katie April 19, 2010 at 11:23 AM

how exciting! i am jealous of your new appliances, and impressed by how much you were able to save! can't wait to see them in your kitchen.

Audreya April 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Excellent purchases!! I'm also looking forward to seeing installed pictures. It sounds like it will be around the same time I finally finish my kitchen redo. We'll have to have a blog party and link to all our fancy, finished kitchens! :-)

oneluckycouple April 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM

These are FABULOUS prices! I know you're excited to have beautiful new applicances! We're about to buy all new appliances for our big kitchen renovation this summer, so I'll be on the lookout for more of your deal suggestions... as you know I'm not the best deal-hunter! :)

kt April 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Nice work! There are so many great deals on appliances these days... if you need them, you can definitely save huge dough. We replaced all of them in our kitchen recently and saved tons w/ incentive programs and essentially our $700 was free. I think I got a savings high...

Ashley Mutschler April 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM

We are on the hunt for a new washer/dryer set. I do want them to be energy star and front loading... other than that, I'd just like a good deal :)

Danielle and Clint April 19, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I am VERY jealous! This is something I need to look into more to see what I can afford. Great job on the savings!

The Brick Cottage April 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Great buys! We so need to upgrade all of our appliances. The one highest on the wish list is a new stove. Ours is dying a slow death. sigh!

Mrs. Chic April 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Great deals and a wonderfull savings! I'll be suing your tips when we start shopping for a dishwasher and new range!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Dang, Kasey! The WI Cash for Appliances is so cheap, the rebates are only $75 for a new fridge and $25 for a new dishwasher. Totally not worth buying them now and then taking them all out when we remodel the kitchen later this year. Great job, as usual!

alanna rose April 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Is the range dual-fuel? If so I am beyond jealous!
Excellent buys!

Lauren April 19, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Wow! You got AWESOME deals on new appliances! I can't wait to see your kitchen looking all fancy. We have the mismatched/hodgepodge appliance look in our kitchen :)

CC April 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Congratulations on your new appliances. I know you will love and emjoy having them..I know I would.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM

@Sara~ How lame! I think having larger rebates was a good idea because it probably made more people look into the idea. Can you believe they were giving $1,000 rebates for AC?

@Alanna Rose~ Hmm... I should probably know this. My understanding is that dual-fuel means gas for top and electric for oven. I know that the range will be gas and the oven is "convection," but I don't know if convection = electric... so maybe?

frugalapolis April 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Good job shopping. We just got new ss m-wave, range and DW for over $1200 at Sears, we have a year to pay for it interest free, so I still feel the pain every month. But I love having high quality stuff. Can't quite justify getting rid of the white fridge yet, need to save more money.

You will love the range!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty April 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I wish we were on the prowl for new appliances....just seeing yours makes me drool. And you got some really good deals!

Meg April 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Wow, Kasey! These are all fabulous and so attractive! I am totally impressed by your savings! Lee and I just started shopping for a new oven and I love the one you picked out. You are the wo-man!

Jen April 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I have a 35+ year old deep freezer that is using up tons of energy. I'm planning on having my city pick it up and give me a check for $30 as soon as I find a good deal on a new one. I'll have to check out Lowes.

fridge June 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Excellent purchases!! I'm also looking forward to seeing installed pictures.