Thrifty is...

>> 4.20.2010

Yesterday felt strange. I wrote about my semi-fancy new appliances and, while I saved over $1,000 on the purchases, I did spend a very good chunk of change. As the opportunity to replace my energy-guzzling half broken refrigerator came up, I could have made the choice to simply swap out the old version for a newer, more efficient model. Instead, I decided to replace my entire set of major kitchen appliances. I could have gone with the least expensive dishwasher and stove with the fewest number of features, but I didn't.

Still, I consider all of my decisions to have been thrifty ones. Why?

True story: Nate threatened to return the new fridge if our favorite frozen pizzas didn't fit in the freezer drawers (they do!).

*I bought the appliances with the maximum usability (for my lifestyle). With the refrigerator, I knew that we would be happiest with a bottom freezer combination. With Nate's height (6'3"), having all of our day-to-day foods at eye level will really cut down on the strain he has to go through to get food out. I actually didn't know this until last week, but he hasn't even been using the crisper on the old fridge! Obviously, the energy savings also played a big role in the decision making, but having a quiet dishwasher will allow us to run it at more convenient times. As for the stove, I decided the jump to self-cleaning, convection, and 5 burners was worth a couple hundred extra dollars (especially since I would be getting a $100 rebate by going with Whirlpool Gold). I love baking and Nate's quite the cook so the convection feature and five-burner range will get plenty of love.

Look it's the new refrigerator! I'm still waiting on the range and dishwasher. I'll probably upgrade to an over the range microwave as well.
PS No, the cabinets haven't been painted yet... and the new hardware is coming!

*The money will eventually come back to me. I'm 100% certain that having a set of high-quality appliances will set my house apart from the others when it comes time to sell. Even if the new buyers want to bring in appliances from their past home, just having the nice ones present will make the space appear more expensive. I'm a firm believer in enjoying house upgrades while you can instead of making them right before your home goes up on the market.
Remember this guy? He wasn't selling anyone's house! Notice how I gained a good four inches in height with the switch!

*That fridge is going to pay for itself, remember?

*I could afford it. I have the cash to pay for the appliances without dipping into my emergency savings. Because I saved so much on the dishwasher and refrigerator, I could afford to buy a nicer range than I had originally planned.

To summarize, I believe that thrifty is...
making smart decisions with the money that I have.

"Thrifty" looks different in every home and culture. What does the word thrifty mean to you? How would you expect a "thrifty" person to spend her money?

Mrs. Chic April 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Thifty for me means cutting cost where I can without cutting the style, I think you did just that!

LizzieBeth April 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I think you did an amazing job Kasey! The amount you saved could almost buy you a new fridge!

The fridge looks great.. That's the exact fridge JEGs and I want when we have a house!

Kate April 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I 100% agree with you. These appliances will save you money in the long run and you searched to get great deals. I also agree with you about enjoying the upgrades to your house while you're living in it - why do all the work for the strangers who will live there later?!?

The fridge looks great. I don't know what those little blue lights are for (is it a screen? temperature?) but it makes the fridge look very high tech, lol :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

@LizziBeth~ The bottom freezer is amazing! It make so much more sense to see the foods you eat most often at eye level!

@Kate~ Those lights display the temperatures. I really like them... and they'll save me so much energy since I don't have to open the doors to check the temperature ;).

Monica April 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM

GORGEOUS!! that fridge makes my knees weak! the deal you got is amazing, I bow to you! ;)

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic April 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I think your decisions were very wise ones. I think you kitchen will not only look a million times better, but it will make your life easier and more fun! Eating and cooking are big parts of most people's lives, so why not splurge a little more (especially when a splurge is still saving you money at the same time)?

Oonafey April 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I totally agree with you. I think being thrifty is about cutting costs where you can while still being happy with the decisions you've made. Good job!

hiphousegirl April 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I think thrifty means making the smartest purchases, not just the cheapest ones (although in some cases they are the same). I'm totally with you on making improvements now, while YOU live there, instead of waiting to do them for someone else!

Anonymous,  April 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Love the bottom freezer fridge.