Kitchen Progress

>> 5.12.2010

I promised to show up with some official kitchen afters this week, but I'm sorry to say that we're not quite there yet. You see, my kitchen currently looks a little like this:

Yep, the cabinets are finally getting that black paint job that you supported me in way back in December. Okay so you might need to pick your jaw off the ground for this one... I paid someone else to paint them! I found someone who would do the work for cheap and couldn't resist having them do it. Unfortunately, that meant that I was at the mercy of his timeline and will have the cabinet doors back in a few days later than planned. Still, I think I can get those after shots to you this week!

For now, lets look at some of the progress my tiny kitchen has gone through in the past 9 months:

If you've been reading for a while, you'll remember this super claustrophobic little space:

That I knocked apart with the help of my own two hands and a crowbar.

I haven't looked back since!

You'll also remember how awful, damaged, and dirty my laminate countertops and sink were...

...and how much I love the new and improved versions!

Then, of course, how can we forget that tile backsplash (it's difficult to see the yellowed grout and dated textured tile)...

...and how I destroyed it as well.

Then there were the new appliances, depressed kitchen, and additional recessed lights... but if you've been reading over the past few weeks, you know all about those.

Trust me people, I want to share the full "afters" of my kitchen as much as you want to see them!! Stay tuned!

Amanda May 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I like the idea of black cabinets on the bottom! I might just have to steal that idea. It would hide any dirtyness and break up some of that all white we have gonig on. Can't wait to see the finished product :)

Carrie May 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I am right there with you... I want to see my after photos, too!!!!! There's a lot of hard work between those before and afters... I'm glad to see someone else's "during" photos for a change!!! Makes me a feel right at home! ;)

hiphousegirl May 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I'm so glad to see that someone else in blogland has kitchen delays. I'm so jealous of those people who just whip out a renovation in like a week! Yours has come such a long way, and I can't wait to see the afters.

Jennifer May 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Yay!! I have been waiting to see some pictures!!!

Oh, and its sad that I cant look at that last picture and NOT see a frowny face!!!

Mrs. Chic May 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM

It's going to look so nice!!! I don't blame you about the cabinets, I'm dreading doing ours! your kitchen has come such a long way!!

ps I have a giveaway going on my blog - check it out!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic May 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I can't wait for the after photos! So exciting!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog May 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

@Jennifer~ :) The lights are the eyes and the track light is the frown.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno May 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I think I may pay someone to paint our cabs, too. Actually, I will paint the boxes myself and send the doors to be sprayed. Because I like my free time a LOT! haha

Can't wait to see it all complete.

Kim at Yellow Brick Home May 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Can't wait to see the results! I had forgotten how closed off your kitchen used to be. Who would do that in the first place?! AH!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 May 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I can see that it is going to be quite the transformation. I want to desperately do our kitchen but like too many different styles to make up my mind. Good for you!
Dana

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner May 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Thanks for the recap! This has been a huge undertaking. I can't imagine how excited you must be for it to be done! We'll try to be patient while we wait for the afters. :)

L. Duncan May 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM

OMG! I can't wait to see the kitchen finished! Woot Woot! Black cabinets and subway tile!!! Things that make me swoon!

micah @ the yellow front door May 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM

You're so close... hang in there! Can't wait to see it finished!! It looks amazing so far!

Charmed by the Star Filled Texas Sky May 13, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Gorgeous Blog!! :) Can't wait to see the after.!!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses May 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Much improved so far! Opening it up was a great move.

Kelly

Jenny May 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM

It looks great already! What an improvement! Can't wait to see the "real" after pics!

Lauren May 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM

You are getting there! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Judy May 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I just finished painting our kitchen cabinets white, too! It makes such a huge difference in lighting up the whole downstairs area. I used graphic colors in the counter and flooring. I have kept white appliances and I have soft yellow walls. My hardware is antique bronze to keep consistent with new lighting we have been putting in. It feels great to finish a project, doesn't it?

Judy May 15, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Graphite, not graphic. Don't have vulgar graffiti or anything like that! LOL