Move Over Oprah...

>> 5.26.2010

As I mentioned before, I just might be one of the only left who records and watches Oprah every day (well, at least the only 25-year-old). For the past few months I've been wondering what would fill the giant void on my DVR when she finally goes off the air next season... until I found out that Nate Berkus would be coming out with his own show this fall. I can't say that he's my favorite Nate (the bf will win this title every time), but he sure does come close ;).

Watching Nate's sendoff show yesterday just confirmed my excitement!

I remember obsessing over this 300 square foot box that Nate turned into a home during his first appearance. Eight years later and I could still remember the exact layout of the room!

It was Nate who taught me what real design brings to a home. Before watching him, the only "design" I knew was the matchy-matchy catalog-like look that I would watch on Trading Spaces. When I saw the before and after of the room below, I started seeing the potential in spaces within my own home...
To me, the space above looked fine as-is...

Nate brought it from "okay" to "amazing!"

Nate was also the person who taught me that ceilings were important. I remember seeing him cover up a ugly popcorn ceiling in one of his makeovers. It was that day that I decided that I would make sure to remove the popcorn if I ever bought a house... many years later I removed the popcorn in my new home!

When he gave his first tour of one of his homes on Oprah, I completely fell in love with the guy. I loved absolutely every choice he made in his space!
From the furniture to the artwork (print created by his deceased partner), Nate has a connection to every thing he places in his home. Stuff isn't collected... memories are preserved. I see his "treasure your belongings" philosophy as a very thrifty way of decorating.

Any other Nate Berkus fans out there?
It looks like the answer is yes! Check out #nateday on twitter!

*all images found via Oprah.com

Flavia @ Estilo Home May 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Oh yes, I love Nate! I am not in the habit of watching Oprah everyday (I always forget to set my DVR) but will be sure to watch his show - so exciting!

(btw, my desk/cabinet is finally finished if you want to take a peek on my blog!)

Mrs. Chic May 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I love Nate!!! I'm so gald he'll have his own soon :)

I just got his book mailed to me via a blog friend and I'm enjoying every page of it!

The Thriftress May 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I still watch & DVR Oprah. I'm watching it right now in fact (it's the kids' naptime!)
Sarah

Stacy May 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I love Nate! And he's so sweet and cute! I want to marry him! Too bad he's gay!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home May 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Oh. My. God.

You've made my day! I had no idea! I'll be DVR-ing that ASAP!

Jolie May 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Nate is one of my favorite designers, not to mention he's fun to look at :) I am so looking forward to his show. Had it not been for Oprah, I would have never known who he was either.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic May 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I'm a big fan, too. Get thee to Moggit and watch as a big story unfolds...they suggested he have a show with design bloggers as the audience. He tweeted back that he was on board!!!

I will seriously go up to NYC to attend this show, if tickets are available.

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life May 26, 2010 at 7:16 PM

You are not alone! I DVR Oprah daily and catch up on my Saturday mornings with a huge cup o coffee... its seriously my fav part of the weekend!! I can't wait to watch Nate's show.. although I'm sure its going to make me want to re do every single room in my house again!

Wicked Thrifty May 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

i had never heard of him but i'm very impressed!

Lauren May 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I also love Nate! I didn't get to see this episode of Oprah though! I am sitting in traffic when it is on :(

alison (semi-fab lane) June 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

i just found your blog and it's great! i love nate and i am so excited to be going to a taping of his show tomorrow!!! i'll blog all about it on wednesday:)

alanna rose June 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I still DVR Oprah every day! I'm looking forward to Nate's show :)

Diana Strinati Baur June 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Very well stated and true. Lovely.

Creategirl June 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM

WOW I love that second makeover he is truly a genius!
Thanks for joining us for our NateDay! The response was so much bigger than I could ever have imagined!