One Expensive Tomato

>> 5.27.2010

Have you ever seen a $100 tomato?

I had Nate use the old fisherman's trick of holding the tomato close to the camera to make it seem larger.

Garden Scorecard:
Us: 1 tomato
Pests: every thing else

Like I mentioned before, we didn't build the garden to save any money, but it's not so much fun seeing all of our precious plants eaten away by the pests. I keep telling Nate that we'll figure it out eventually! Until then, we're going to enjoy every precious bite of this uber-expensive fruit!!

This tomato reminds me of the time I went out to dinner with my mom while on vacation in Chicago. The food was amazing, but we had raked up an over $200 bill before we knew it! Spending $100+ on one non-holiday/ special occasion meal... yikes!
Be honest... what's the most money you've ever spent on one meal or food??

PS If anyone is wondering about my Dollar Tree flower experiment... the seeds were total duds. I haven't seen any sign of a bloom yet.

frugalapolis May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM

We got one tomato too. I had to pick it before it too got eaten by those darn worms. The only thing that seems to keep pests away here in FL is to sprinkle ground red pepper on the produce. It works until it rains. But you have to remember to wash it off or you'll get a spicy surprise.

hiphousegirl May 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Oh Kasey! Haha a $100 tomato. I'm sorry about the pests. Here in Utah we have our share, but it's not nearly as warm and pest-friendly as Texas. At least you have a super long growing season!

Kathryn May 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Don't know if this counts....but when I got married my company paid for us to go have an expensive meal at whatever restaurant we wanted while on our honeymoon- and we were told to go EXPENSIVe...so we did...we ended up spending $150 with tip...I about died over the bill because I'm used to thinking $35 for a bill is too much. But it was fun and they were so sweet to do that for us!

Life in Rehab May 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Oh, Kasey no! Well, hang in there, there are lots of pesticides out there that are eco-friendly...except to bugs.

Kate May 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Oh no! Sorry the pests got everything :( What a bummer!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home May 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This is funny, since we live in Chicago, and I'm used to dinner bills being high. Actually, we have a group of friends that tries to explore a new spot in the city every Thursday. For us, anything less than $50 a couple (including tip and drinks) is a STEAL!

However, we did splurge for a romantic date night (using a $100 gift card to the restaurant as a wedding gift). We chose the smallest meal option, and after tip, we spent $150, but $100 of that was our gift card.

The biggest bonus here? Many, many restaurants in the city offer BYOB options, so you can bring your alcohol and save a TON of cash!

Ok, there's my long winded answer :)

The Brick Cottage May 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Bummer about your garden! Ours had a similar fate last year but this year it's holding up (fingers crossed!). If you try gardening again, try food grade diatomaceous earth for a natural pest deterrent(usually found at a farmers co op). I'm going to sprinkle some in my garden and I'll let you know if it works.

Livinia Redlips May 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM

There is this restaurant just outside of Seattle, WA in Woodinville, WA, called the Herbfarm. We had a 9 course Copper River Salmon themed dinner, it was $195 per person - so around $500 for the two of us...and it wasn't even very good!

Thankfully we just had to pay $100 because we'd been given a $400 gift certificate.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno May 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I once a $120 meal once with an ex, and that was waaaay too much. As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth spending more than $20 a plate for a meal when I'm just going to poop it out the next morning. Yeah, I said it!

jbnmikki May 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I live in michigan so we just started planting but last year my husband bought a bunch of those 10 for a dollar seed packs and I just tried the peas this year and they came up better than the expensive seed pack I bought. Go figure.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty June 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Bugs and pests are so frustrating when you see all of your hard work go down the drain! I have been fighting them all spring and they make me very angry!