Turn that frown upside down!

>> 5.04.2010

Remember the kitchen frown?

Well, my kitchen isn't exactly smiling, but I think this is a big improvement:

I knew that the best (least expensive) time to install new lighting is while the drywall is out so I had an electrician come out and add some much needed recessed lighting to the other side of the kitchen wall. I decided that adding additional modern lighting to the windowless kitchen would increase the value of the room more than adding an expensive microwave ($225 microwave + $125 install + $250 adding electrical circuit) to the space would.

Thankfully, a friend of mine (with over a year of drywall experience) saved me hundreds by offering to help patch the damaged drywall. I'm sure my frantic call telling him about the multiple $800+ estimates didn't hurt. Although the final product isn't shown, he spent a good four hours of his Sunday afternoon helping out! I want to give him a nice gift for helping... how much do you think I should spend?

What do you think about my choice to go with additional lighting over a new microwave?

Danielle and Clint May 4, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Great idea adding the lighting! For your friend, I would spend what you can afford. That is very sweet that he is helping. That's what friends are for!

Mrs. Chic May 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Great idea adding more lights! What a nice friend, I'm sure anything you dowill be fine

change is a good thing May 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM

The extra light will be worth far more than the microwave install would have been and you can always do the microwave later when you can afford it. You'll love having the extra light. Are you putting the new lighting on dimmers so you can adjust the amount of light? Just a thought, we didn't do that at first, but are finding it's going to have to be done.

As for your friend, maybe you and Nate could take him out to dinner one night and thank him. I'm sure he's not expecting anything so a night out with friends is always a nice treat.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog May 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM

@change is a good thing~ The two larger lights are on a dimmer, but the smaller lights have their own switch so I'm not sure if we'll do a dimmer for them.

Ashley @ The Design Thief May 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM

What a great friend! Maybe a gift card to dinner or something like that would do the trick!

Amanda May 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Isn't it great to have handy friends! I think the lighting will get you a much better return than the microwave. Good job!

Meg May 4, 2010 at 5:42 PM

It's kind of a smile! The wood beams remind me of teeth. He kind of looks like a big grin emoticon. :-D

What about cooking your friend dinner and cookies? Nothing says 'thank you' like a home cooked meal! And maybe you could make it a small dinner party to meet your New Year's resolution?

Jenny May 4, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I think when it comes to kitchens there's no such thing as too much light! Especially since yours is windowless I think it was a great choice to add that extra lighting!

Anne May 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I would say at least $50. In my past experience when I have had people do things for me I think about how much I would have had to spend and figure I should be generous for their time and skills. Maybe a gift card to a steak house or nice restaurant.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty May 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM

You can never have too much lighting in a kitchen, so it was a perfect time to upgrade. What a great friend....drywall ranks as one of my least favorite activities!