...and it works for the beach!

>> 6.07.2010

My carry-on packing equation works for the beach as well (with a couple additions):

2 versatile bottoms (skirts are smaller) + 2 pairs of flat shoes (sandals & flip-flops) + 2 pairs pj's + 1 dress + 5 tops + 2 swimsuits + sarong + unlimited underwear and accessories= your beach carry-on packing list

PLUS your jeans + comfy shoes + travel top + light cardigan + big travel purse full of toiletries, beach bag, and whatever else you can cram inside= your travel outfit and bag
Wear your beach cover-up as a travel top, carry a suit and flip-flops in your purse, and you're just about ready to head straight to the beach!
Don't forget to load up on accessories so that each outfit works for day or night.
wrap sandal $29.50, black and white cover up $24.99, coral flip-flops $3.50, metallic necklace $14.50, jean skirt $26.50, pink top $15, floral top $19.90, dotted top $15.80, pink racerback top $12.50, grey racerback top $12.50, sarong $55, cardigan $21.99, bikini $39, one piece $19, giant bag $12.99, canvas tote $5.80,  jean shorts $39.99, red dress $36.99, white shoe $14.99, white jeans $59.99, peacock clutch $36, stone necklace $34, gold cuff $7.80

Thrifty Tip: Go shopping for summer clothes during the first week of July (right before and after the 4th)... it's when most stores make giant markdowns!

~Melissa~ June 7, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Great post, and perfect timing. I leave Saturday for a week at the beach. :) Even though we're driving vs. flying, when you have a toddler (travel crib, strollers, etc) to pack for as well, all the extra space I can manage is a huge bonus.

alison (semi-fab lane) June 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

you have a great process for this!! very useful ideas...

Kathy,  June 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Kasey
This is a great post! But...how about doing one for an Alaskan cruise! We are headed to Alaska in July for a seven day cruise. Then when we return to Seattle wr are taking three or four days to drive to Las Vegas by way of Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Then a couple of days in Las Vegas. How is that for covering every climate? I am so stumped! Can you offer any suggestions?
Thanks
Kathy

me. and. b. June 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Love it... great ideas and cute affordable clothes. I LOVE hitting up sales towards the end of seasons. Even if I cant wear my $4 shorts at the time, its super exciting to have brand new clothes next spring / summer.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM

@Kathy~
It sounds like you are doing a total of 13 days (lucky!) so let's break it down by need:
*cooler outdoor activities (7)
*warmer outdoor activities (4)
*hot indoor/outdoor (2)
You'll need 4-5 bottoms, 3 shoes, 12 tops, 1 dress, windbreaker, zip-up jacket

4 bottoms~ 1 pair black jeans (to dress from day to night on cruise and in Vegas; throw them on when you want to look nicer), 2 pairs convertable pants for Alaska and Yellowstone (that go from pants to capris), 1 pair of shorts for Yellowstone/ GC, 1 skirt or another pair of pants depending on what most of your activities will be like

3 Shoes~ 1 dressy flat, 1 hiking/ walking, 1 fashion walking (cute and comfortable to wear on the ship/ traveling/ walking Vegas)

12 Tops~ pick tops with interesting details so that you feel like you're wearing a totally different outfit each day

1 Dress~ I'd go for a black dress that you can wear for a nicer dinner on a cruise then out again in Vegas.

I trust this guide by Real Simple when it comes to washing my clothes so I'd expect to get at least a few wears out of the bottoms (which tend to take up the most room).

I hope that helped! Have fun on your trip :).

kathyhm June 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Kasey
You are wonderful! I was just so overwhelmed! Thanks so much!
Kathy