call me crazy...

>> 6.15.2010

Not only did I just sign up for this, but I paid $300 for it.

I even checked the little box that said, "yes, I understand that Active.com has a no refund policy."

Edited to add: As I look over the past several posts that I've written, I realize that it looks like all I do is spend money. My goal has never been to live on nothing or pinch every penny. To me, thrifty is simply smart spending or getting the best lifestyle I can get on as little as possible.

I want to assure you all that I budget for everything I buy. In this case, a recent bonus at work convinced me to pull the trigger and pay for the race entry.

Kate June 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM

omg how awesome Kasey! Are you going to post at all about how you train? I know it doesn't really fit in with your blog theme but I'd be super interested to hear how you do it. Good luck!

chacha June 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM

You're crazy!!!

You asked us to call you that, so there. Actually, I don't think you're crazy to do a half ironman - a coworker of mine did one in March. I'm sure it'll be a blast! What's kinda crazy, though, is how much the entry fees are for triathlons. Another good reason for me not to jump on that bandwagon and just stick to running!

It doesn't seem like you spend that much. I find that lots of my posts are also about spending and we're living on one salary paying a huge mortgage so I know I'm not a big spender. I guess we talk more about what we buy than what we DON'T buy (otherwise we'd be here all day posting about what passed on).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 15, 2010 at 3:00 PM

@Kate~ I probably won't be posting at all about my specific training, but I'm sure I'll do a recap post after I'm finished. Feel free to send me an email kasey@thriftylittleblog.com if you have any specific training questions.

@chacha~ Seriously, those entry fees are the worst! I do understand how it costs money to put everything together (close roads, provide food, rent expo centers), but still! Luckily, I won free entry to one of my other triathlons so I'll be saving $75 off of it. Plus, I already have all of the clothing and equipment since I've been racing for the past few years.

Meg June 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

OMG, isn't an iron man like 16 hours of nonstop running/hiking/bicycling and doing all sorts of crazy exhausting things?! I am in total awe of you! I could never do something that rigorous!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty June 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Wow.... I am so impressed that you are ready to take this on. And I agree that I would love to hear about your training.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards June 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM

You ARE crazy. ;) Just kidding. Good luck!

Danielle and Clint June 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM

You are a brave person. But I know you will do good!

hiphousegirl June 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Look at you go! Oh man. That actually looks really really fun- I'm jealous! To me, these expenses are worth it. Keep us updated on your training progress!