The House Effect

>> 6.28.2010

I think that one of the best furniture investments I've ever made was buying a neutral couch with washable cushion covers. Every once in a while I just toss the cover in the wash and it's like new again!

Last week the zipper on my couch cushion separated as I was putting it back on the cushion. Boo! I tried Googling and YouTubing for easy fixes, but it looked like I needed it to be re-zipped.

I considered the fact that I have an average of 1,001 things on my to-do list and decided to hand this job off to a professional over at my neighborhood dry cleaner. The fee for the new zipper and sewing absolutely shocked me... only $15. I just couldn't believe that someone would actually do something for me for under $20!!

It was then that I realized that owning a house really affects my view of the value of services. Based off of my recent plumbing, electrical, tiling and even painting bills I expected the zipper repair to run somewhere in the $50 range. Seriously.

This house effect hit again last Friday. Thank goodness that Hugo ended up being okay after eating an entire gel ice pack!! The price of the eight hour observation and induced vomiting really didn't matter compared to having our Hugo... but I fully expected the bill to be around $200-250. Walking out having only paid $75 seemed like another steal!

I mean, can you imagine what a plumber would charge to watch over Hugo for a day?!

PS After Friday's incident, Hugo and I agreed that he would stick to chewing on doggy toys... we'll see if he holds up on his end of the bargain.

Flavia @ Estilo Home June 28, 2010 at 9:50 AM

So glad to hear Hugo is feeling better! And actually a $75 vet bill does seem like a steal...it seems we rarely walk out of ours without becoming $200 poorer :(

hiphousegirl June 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Oh I'm so glad he's okay! I paid $95 when my Jesse cat got in a catfight- one antibiotic shot and another anti-inflammatory shot. Yeesh. And your zipper reverse sticker shock has me wondering if I should be hiring more things out...

Jacquelin Seybert June 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Oh boy! So happy Hugo is ok. Our pup eats everything too! the tv stand, the couch, his blanket, drywall, metal... and the list goes on :)

Danielle and Clint June 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Double Phew! I am glad he is aok!! Your vet sounds like they are more willing to work with people than charge them a small fortune.

Alexis L., The Studioist June 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Glad to hear that Hugo and your couch are both OK.

Kate@TwentySixToLife June 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I'm glad Hugo is okay! And just $75?!? That's a great vet you have.

Carrie June 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I completely agree! Both deals were hard to beat! Glad the pooch is better... where did you purchase your couch?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM

@Carrie~ I bought it about five years ago from the Pottery Barn outlet. The material is "everydaysuede" and it holds up amazingly well!

Jammer June 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I need to remember removal covers whenever I buy my own couch! Such a good idea, especially when the fix is less than $20!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home June 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. Living in Chicago, I've just come to expect that a low-key dinner with the hubs will run about $50 (and that's on the cheap end), parking downtown will run you $35 a day, and anything you buy at the grocery or in Target is generally $1-2 more than, say, somewhere in Indiana.

Going home to Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, we practically fall out of the table when the same dinner out will only run us $25!

Dang.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty June 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Wow I am impressed with both of those prices...I would have thought both would be much more pricey. I am so happy that Hugo is OK!

Lauren June 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I'm glad Hugo is okay! That is an amazing vet bill! We (Well Chris.. I was in Europe) had to take Banner to the emergency vet a few summers ago for an allergic reaction and that set us back $300!

I had no idea how much a new zipper would cost. Good to know! :)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno June 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

You make a very good point, we are definitely expecting prices to be crazy as homeowners. That vet bill is SUPER low, though!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards June 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I'm glad that Hugo is okay. What a trooper.

I love the dry cleaners. I sew, but I take all my buttons and hems there. It's so cheap and they turn out better. Plus, then I don't have to do it. ;)

Tovah June 29, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I had wondered what had happened to Hugo. Glad to hear that he is okay! And you are so right about how your expectations of prices change. I'm STILL surprised how cheap parking is everywhere else after living in San Diego for two years.

Rusulica July 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM

that plumber-hugo sentence is killing me :D