a post for Nate

>> 6.11.2010

Wouldn't it be sweet if "a post for Nate" meant going on and on about how great of a boyfriend he is, how much I love him, etc? Well, tough luck Nate, this is post is meant to convince you that my recent Craigslist purchase was totally necessary (and a great buy)!

I'll admit, I'm not technically supposed to be on Craigslist looking for new furniture... but I HAD to have these! One would be the perfect shoe putting on bench for the entryway... and they're just more fun in pairs!

And did I mention to you that I bought them both for $125? That's a crazy good price considering that they've never been used and currently sell for $251 EACH... we're talking $500 worth of benchy goodness here!

Plus, they're classic and super versatile:
Maybe we'll want to use them as seating at a table one day?

...or as extra seating in the living room...

...they'd also work as stand-ins for a coffee table...

...everyone needs a good place to put on shoes in the morning...

...using them  alone isn't quite as much fun, but totally works in some rooms...

...and remember, you can't control what I decide to do with my side of the bedroom! I can see using this type of set-up as a nightstand in the future.

Plus, I did end up putting that chair that you hate up for sale. It's not like these are going into the garage.

Anyone want to stand up for me here? Don't you think that they were a great buy?!

*all images are from decorpad.com

Flavia @ Estilo Home June 11, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Amazing buy!! Those have been on my wish list for a while. Lucky girl! Nate has got to understand!

Mrs. Chic June 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

those are super cute, and well worth it!! They would also look so cute at the foot of your bed side by side!!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic June 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM

What a phenomenal deal! They are so versatile...you'll have them forever.

LizzieBeth June 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM

We girls got to stick together!

I think it was a great find! beside, you just got rid of the table in the entry way, right? You need SOMETHING there!

I have to say though-- I love the idea of them as coffee tables!

hiphousegirl June 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Love 'em! I love the versatility. I especially like them as a "coffee table" that can be used as extra seating.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses June 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I especially like them paired at the end of a bed! I also like the idea of layering another on another cushion.

Kelly

micah @ the yellow front door June 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM

holy crap - that is amazing! you find the best stuff on craigslist!!

Mel June 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM

You rocked this find and would have been a nutter to not scoop them up. Wanna sell one? lol

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM

@All~ Thanks for the support! I'm happy to have something to show Nate every time he doubts me :).

@Jeannine~ That has been my goal lately! I've officially put a halt to buying cheaply made furniture that I'll need to replace in a few years. I'm all about getting good deals on solid wood and classic design.

CBelle June 11, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I've been visiting your blog for months!...so much great advice! But this post called out for me to comment! You got an amazing deal! For half the price of one you were able to score two!!! All husbands and boyfriends should not be allowed to ban us from Craigslist (hoping my husband will wander upon this comment some day!) Anyway...keep up the great work!

Jess

Liz,  June 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM

ah! i'm practically drooling; what a great find!

how on earth did you talk the seller down to $125?!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM

@Liz~ Well, first I noticed that the listing had been posted for about a week so I knew that they would probably go down. Then, when I sent an email to the seller I asked, "what's the best price you can do on it?" When the seller replied asking me to make an offer I knew that he was ready to get rid of it and low balled him at $115 (but said I could pick them up the next day). He came back with $125 and the rest is history!

The biggest thing to remember is that people want to get rid of the items they post... if it has been sitting, they'll go down!

Tovah June 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I'm in awe of your searching and bargaining skills. Good work! And I love that you found all these pictures of different ways to use them in your house. I totally would have skipped right over them.

alison (semi-fab lane) June 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM

you got a great deal! i love these benches and have been thinking about them for my own home. you're right, they are very versatile. good find!

Life in Rehab June 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Nate, suck it up! She could be one of those unadventurous women who simply MUST buy new things at full retail. I don't understand those chicks at all.