See, I needed it!

>> 6.29.2010

Remember that super cheap thrift store bowl that I bought only to go hide it from Nate in the garage?

After a certain little puppy decided to pee on a few of my precious boxes I had a big fat empty space in my IKEA Expedit shelves.

Now, the giant bamboo bowl but works as the perfect spot to throw all of the magazines that we aren't quite ready to recycle.

See, I found somewhere to use it obviously needed it.

I'm loving my maga-bowl set up: I can easily grab the entire stack and see all my options, but still tuck everything away when I'm ready to clear off the coffee table. How do you keep your magazines under control?

PS We realized that Hugo's peeing sprees were triggered by stress during the day as he watched strange dogs walk by our house. After confining him to an area without views to the street, his little problem went away!

Danielle and Clint June 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM

LOVES IT! It adds a little more visual appeal to break up the lines from the boxes and books. Great idea! I usually have a small pile on my coffee table and try to narrow it down after a few weeks.

Kate@TwentySixToLife June 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Looks great! And hooray for ending peeing sprees!!

Alexis L., The Studioist June 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

The boxes are useful but get a little tedious visually. I count this as an upgrade.

My magazines are kept in line by ruthless culling. Probably every two months, I go through them, tear out all of the pages I find interesting, and put them in a three-ring binder. Otherwise, I'd have many too many.

Carrie June 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I really love that bowl! So pretty! And I got my magazines under control by... brace yourself... cancelling them all! Yikes, I know! I figured it was better for my budget and the clutter to just do all my browsing online instead. Probably not the most preferred route, but it's what I did! :)

Sassy June 29, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I love the bowl. I keep my magazines in a a basket, but I need to get a prettier one.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM

@Carrie~ Makes sense to me! I actually have three subscriptions that were given to me as gifts. I don't always have the time to sit down and read them so it's nice to have a bit of a stockpile :).

Mrs. Chic June 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I used to have so many mags!! I now recyle them, the ons I can't part with are in a basket in our Expedit! lol :)

chacha June 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM

So, we keep them in a basket, but it's on the floor and collects tons of dust and kind of makes me insane when I have to deal with it.

Maybe the answer is to do something like you did and stick a basket in a neighboring shelf by the TV stand so it collects *less* dust.

Life in Rehab June 29, 2010 at 2:59 PM

My magazines go into files I've made by spray painting empty cereal boxes and trimming them with ribbon. Most of my subscriptions are craft and remodeling mags, so I never toss them, because I never know when a project that didn't interest me last week will be at the top of my Must Do list.

I like how the bowl breaks up the symmetry on the shelves.

And the dog ceasing to pee everywhere is a good thing.

Aimee June 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I have that same bowl! Mine is holding various cords to gadgets. :)

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner June 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Looks great! I had finally buy some magazine holders from Wal-mart awhile back and they actually look pretty good. But I either need more of them, or I need to just get rid of some of my mags!

(Interesting about the dog, by the way. At least there was a solution!)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno June 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I have a wicker basket with a lid that all my mags go into, only the ones I want to keep. Others usually get thrown in the recycle by my trash-happy man hours after I read them.

Babs June 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM

wow, so simple and functional! Great idea :)