Stressful Friday Morning!

>> 6.25.2010

This morning was a doozy! Hugo ate a gel ice pack while I was in the shower. He also ate my phone charger... and my phone was dead so I had no way of calling Nate or poison control or the vet. Ugh! Thankfully, my vet was able to take Hugo in once I rushed him over.

Oh, and on top of that, today is a big day at work... not one that I should have been late to!



Hugo,
You're going to cost me an arm an a leg today. I really don't like how you manage to be sneaky enough to get into everything ... wake us up in the middle of the night.. or how you pee on the furniture, but you're probably one of the cutest little balls of energy that I know. I really hope you're okay!!


Anyone have a dog eat an ice pack before?

16 comments:

Nancy June 25, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

My dog eats everything that is outside, such as rocks, wood, and plastic ends on door stoppers.

One thrifty trick I learned ...

If you have an emergency with your pet, a vet will typically charge an "emergency visit" fee. At VCA animal hospitals, it is usually $300.

If you call as you're leaving your house and make the next available appointment, the vet will typically charge a normal office visit that costs about $60.

It's a good trick if you're trying to save some money & your dog.

Danielle and Clint June 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

O dear...We had one of those moments recently, also. My grandpa (who has dementia) fed our one dog a piece of chocolate pie. Chocolate is not good for doggies, as I am sure you know. Someone finally told us and I called the emergency vet right away. They said he would be fine, but probably have an upset tummy. Lets just say, we were awoken twice with him having the runs. Not pretty.

I will say, the bad ones are the keepers!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

@Nancy~ What a great tip! I wish my phone wasn't dead this morning :(.

@Danielle~ My sister's dog ate her ENTIRE box of Valentine's Day chocolates this past February. It's scary what messes dogs can get into!

Katie June 25, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

our dogs have been eating the doorknob lately. they completely chewed it one day about a year ago and we had to replace it. just now they started to chew on it again. we leave them gated in the kitchen when we're not home, and the door knob is on the exterior door to the backyard. i think they are trying to figure out how to get outside. it's metal... i don't get it.

hopefully your puppy is ok!

claudia b June 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

My cat eats plastic bags. then he barfs. then he eats more plastic bags. there's no "learning" with him.

Nancy June 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

vibes to your pup!

try spraying "Keep Off". You can buy it at Petco or on Amazon.

when my dog was chewing the baseboards at my old apartment, I sprayed it on the molding and he never chewed again.

Kong balls also helped his chewing habits. It keeps him occupied for hours while I'm at work ... until the knog ball gets stuck under the couch.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno June 25, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

Oh no! Dogs are so sneaky. Just like babies, they have to put everything in their mouth. I hope he is just fine and that your day got better!

chacha June 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Aw, that's crappy. When I had two puppies around 11 months, they went so far as to move the entertainment console that was on wheels away from the wall and chew through the TV, DVD, and receiver power cords. And also half way through the surge protector which sparked when I unplugged it. It's a wonder they didn't get electrocuted or burn the house down.

The Brick Cottage June 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

oh, poor Hugo! I hope he feels better soon.

Kate@TwentySixToLife June 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

What kind of ice pack was it? Did he actually the plastic part or just what was in it?

I'll bet he'll be fine though. One thing that's nice to have on hand (in case you don't already) is hydrogen peroxide. If you find out right away that he's gotten into something (like within 15 minutes or so), the hydrogen peroxide will make him throw it up. Not fun, but it'll work. Make sure you call your vet though before you do it, because depending on what he ate, it's not always good for them to throw it back up.

Lots of good thoughts for Hugo! I'm sure he'll be okay though. When Molly was a puppy she drank bleach (yum!) and she was okay in the end :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

@Kate~ It was a refreezable ice pack that had little "peas" inside. It didn't seem like he ate all of the plastic, but he ate ALL of the gel peas. I googled "my dog ate an ice pack" and found some scary stuff about anti-freeze and kidney failure... so I hope that we aren't dealing with that!

Devon June 25, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

Don't worry about the anti-freeze...that is literally the stuff you put in a car. It tastes sweet to dogs, so when they find it in a car or on the floor, they eat it. It's highly, highly toxic and most dogs that eat will die. BUT anti-freeze is highly toxic - we don't use it outside automotive work! I don't know what's in the gel packs, but dogs throw up much more readily than humans...Check the gel pack to see if it has child warnings. That should answer questions regarding toxicity. Hope that helps :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards June 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

OH NO! They can really find anything can't they? I hope it all gets worked out.

Lauren June 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

oh Hugo! I hope he will be okay! What did the vet say? We once had a family dog that ate lightbulbs. He also ate a 2 pound bag of Oreo cookies and lived to tell the tale...

Babs June 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

I had a dog once who was chewing so badly on everything that we got her a nylon muzzle for the day while we were at work. She could still drink water, just not eat anything. Poor thing, she hated it. (And we had tried the crate while gone, but that's another story!)

Well, one day we came home and the muzzle was gone. Looked high and low, and all we found was the plastic clip that had kept it attached behind her ears. The rest we "found" in the yard over the next few weeks. Funny though, she never chewed anything except her food after that!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty June 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM  

Poor Hugo! I hope he is OK. Jack ate a decorative starfish once. It had sat on the shelf for weeks until the random day he decided it would taste good. A frantic trip to the vet, stomach x-rays and $$$$ later, he was fine. Good thing we can't help but love them:)...

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and ideas! Keep them coming!!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP