Bedroom Progress

>> 7.07.2010

Remember the bedroom mood board I shared with you a few weeks ago?
Well... I actually made a bit of progress towards the finished product!

Before:
I think that this is my very favorite piece of furniture. It's actually an old sheet music cabinet that my mom picked up at an estate sale several years ago. When she became tired of it, I swooped it up in  a millisecond! I love-love the hardware and curvy feet and it's the perfect height to work as a bedside table!

I actually loved the way that the old finish looked, but it had several cracks and stains that needed to be fixed. I saw that as the perfect opportunity to make a change with paint. Check out what a difference a little black paint makes...
After:

The best thing about this makeover was that it was free! I used extra black paint from my kitchen makeover and wipe-on poly from my dining table project.
Not so shabby for a $0 bedside table!

...and because everyone loves a good before and after...

Before:
They weaseled their way into the nightstand before picture by being way too cute to move.

After:
They always seem to put on a show once the camera is out!

I'm absolutely loving the way this makeover looks! Is anyone else a fan of black and brass combos? Would you have swapped out the hardware?

The Brick Cottage July 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Very nice! I like it exactly as you've done it. I think the hardware suits the piece perfectly--simple and classic and the brass and black combo is very striking.

Oh, and seeing pics of your two pupsters makes me seriously consider getting a playmate for our pup--oh what fun she'd have!

LizzieBeth July 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I'm not normally a fan of brass, but I think in this case it really adds to the look. With all those little drawers and the curve of the legs, it reminds me of a British naval jacket!

Also, since you plan on using brass lamps, I think keep the original hardware was a good choice!

Mrs. Chic July 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM

What a grea pieace, I loved how it looked before and it looks amazing AFTER!! Wow, I'm so glad you kept the original hardware its very nice! I wante one of these for my house!

Kate@TwentySixToLife July 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM

You did a great job Kasey :) I like the brass + black combo too!

Life in Rehab July 7, 2010 at 11:42 AM

The black is just perfect, it lends drama to the piece. I would have changed the knobs in my house, but then all my metals are silver. In your house, it's perfect.

Danielle and Clint July 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM

WOW! I can see why this is your favorite piece! It looks amazing painted black! And I love the before and after of the dogs. lol.

Flavia @ Estilo Home July 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM

It looks so chic! The brass I think goes really well with black.

savvy_homegirl July 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM

This looks fabulous! I think I would've kept the hardware also. It works so well! Wow.. just think what a piece like this would cost at Pottery Barn! Great score!

Alexis L., The Studioist July 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I like the black and brass combo; it has warmth and classicism. I think that the odd rule that has persisted for the past few years that only silver is appropriate is tired.

Paula July 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I'm a first time visitor to your blog! I love how the bedside table turned out! It looks brand spankin' new! Would you mind sharing the color/type of paint and poly you used. I absolutely love the satin like finish! Great job!

I have recently learned to build (thanks to Ana at knock-offwood.com) and want to be able to properly finish my "masterpieces". If you haven't visited that site, I HIGHLY recommend it! I never had an interest in woodworking until I saw what Ana was inspiring women all over the globe to do! Likewise, I was never interested in furniture until I happened upon her blog one day. Now, I'm obsessed with remodels, refurbishing, etc.

I think I'll be frequenting your blog more often! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog July 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM

@Paula~ To paint the table I used: 1. oil-based primer 2. Olympus "black" oil-based paint (I just walked into Lowe's and asked for a black oil-based) 3. Minswax wipe-on poly

Yes, I've seen that blog... it's super inspiring!