Fabric Fumble

>> 7.15.2010

Yesterday, I received the patterned fabric that I ordered to make a new pillow for my entryway. After waiting for over two weeks for my package to arrive from Tonic Living, I was really excited to see the fabric in person...

Website's image:

Cute, right? I thought it had the perfect mix of teals and greens, but I'm just not so sure about it now that I have it.

I don't know exactly what I expected, but I guess I thought the background would pop out more against the yellow x-bench. Instead, it seems to just blend in:

I still love the fabric, but I just think it might look better against a contrasting background:

I could use it to make a little pillow for the blue chair?

It seems to contrast a little more with the couch color:
?

So I guess I'm back at the drawing board for the x-bench pillow.
I'm trying to use a tad more color, but I kinda like the idea of making a pillow out of this black and white fabric (also from Tonic Living):
?

I have a couple of other pieces of fabric large enough to make pillows, but I'm not sure if either of them work for the space:
?

?

So... what are your thoughts?
Where should I use the floral fabric? Should I use one of the above fabrics for the x-bench pillow or should I keep looking?

Jacquelin Seybert July 15, 2010 at 10:03 AM

The black/white stripe is great... really pops.

Emily July 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I'm all about the b&w stripes!

Amanda @ Tall Glass of Water July 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM

If you want contrast go with black and white for sure! I wouldn't choose the stripe, maybe a bold pattern. Maybe greek key! Good luck on your hunt!

Kate@TwentySixToLife July 15, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I have no idea about what you should do with the other fabrics, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the black and white stripes. Definitely do that one :)

Nancy July 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I like the 6th picture (the navy)

Mrs. Chic July 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I like the floral fabric on your sofa and chair - very cute. The black and white fabric looks cute with the bench

Sue @ SimonsSistaSaw July 15, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I like the black and white stripes best of what you've shown. If you did want colour, maybe a bold pattern? {and I love the floral you chose, but I agree, it doesn't wow me on the X bench). On Tonic's website, I like the stanford in teal.

Sarah @ Dream in Domestic July 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I LOVE the black and white stripes! That would look so great and so fun in there!

Kim at Yellow Brick Home July 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Kasey, you know I'm a fan of the black and white stripes since I suggested them for your dining room chairs! STRIPES, please. It's more fun.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the other floral fabrics, but I do enjoy that sort-of moroccan print (last one).

The stripes are young, fun, and fresh!

Danielle and Clint July 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM

First off, I loved the choice, but see what you are saying. I think you need something more graphic and bold. The other choices are nice, but they are missing something. You could do a solid pattern behind the first one to make it pop.

Amy @ Renovation Innovation July 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Love the black & white stripe for the x-bench, and love the new floral fabric on the blue chair.

Kate July 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Another vote for the black and white! I live the way it jumps out.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog July 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Wow, I'm so excited that everyone is for black and white... I thought you would be sick of my black and white addiction by now :).

Jen July 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I love that floral fabric and think it will look great wherever you decide to use it. Thanks for putting my button up!

Livinia Redlips July 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM

B&W stripe looks fab on the X bench.

The new blue floral fabric looks great on the blue chair.

Life in Rehab July 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I'm diggin' the black and white stripe to tie it in to the table.

Jennifer July 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Love the b&w stripes!!!

chacha July 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Like everyone else, I love the stripes!

Melinda KE,  July 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I like the black and white fabric, too!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards July 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM

My favorite is the black and white fabric.

I do like the fabric you ordered though, esp. on the blue chair.

Jenny July 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM

LOVE the black and white fabric for the entry! The one with the blue print is really nice, too, but I think the striped one is just perfect for that spot! As for the fabric you originally wanted, I think that looks great on the chair! Happy pillow making :)

Meg July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

The black and white striped fabric is pure perfection! It was meant to be. :) Isn't it funny, though, how you can see something clearly in your mind but then in reality it doesn't look as good? It's weird when it doesn't turn out the way you expect it to. Still, I think the stripes are even better!

Meg July 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Lauren July 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I also vote for the striped fabric!

oneluckycouple July 16, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I really like the fabric you ordered... you know I'm a fan of blues and greens, and I think the crispness of the two fabrics together would look nice!

Carole July 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM

i like the fabric you bought as a pillow on the cute blue chair, for sure.

of the fabrics you show, the black and white is the best...another alternative would be to have a black and white fabric with a different pattern like this:

or even an animal print?

Erin @ Slipcover Your Life July 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM

My vote is for the black and white stripes on the x-bench!

Alexis L., The Studioist July 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Highly prefer the Breton stripes. Very smart and high contrast.

DOEHLER DAYS July 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I like the floral on the blue chair, but the black and white stripes against the wall! Great fabric choices!