just in case you haven't googled this...

>> 7.22.2010

***Note... I feel like a dummy after writing yesterday's "updates" post. I claimed to have updated my blogroll, but I realized this morning that I didn't save any of the changes that I made! I probably made more mistakes again, but I think I fixed it (let me know if you think something is missing!).

You all know that I'm a really bad painter, right? So it must not surprise you that I'm really good at getting paint all over myself just about every time I paint:

Every. Single. Time.

Ugh. If you've ever painted with oil-based paint, you know how tricky it can be to clean off! Normally, I would scrub it as much as I could before giving up and walking around with crazy, paint splotched hands (and arms and legs... and sometimes face).  Thanks to a little Googling and an online forum, I found the thrifty trick that works miracles on the paint!

How to wash oil-based paint off of your hands:

All you need to clean oil-based paint from your skin is a little oil (I used olive oil) and salt!
Simply pour a bit of each into one hand (just like hand soap) and then start scrubbing as if you are exfoliating.

After a minute or two have passed, wash the oil off with hot water and dry with a paper towel.

Ta-da!
*Actual before and after shots!

Tell me you didn't know about this trick... or if you did, why haven't you told me!? Are there any other thrifty painting tips I should know about?

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys July 22, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I had a whacky can of spray paint before and got spray paint all over my hands. Didn't realize that spray paint was oil based (yeah, I know!), and tried to wash it with soap and water....Anyway the painter who painted my house told me to just get vaseline and rub it all over my hands and dang nab it, IT WORKED!!! The vaseline removed the paint after about 2 minutes!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic July 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I had no idea! Thank you, thank you!

Sassy July 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I never knew that, I plan on doing some painting in the near future, you have inspired me! I stink at painting so this will help:)

Kerry July 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I had NO clue about this handy little tip! Great thing to share!

hiphousegirl July 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Uh, why didn't I know about this? My brother is a professional painter/contractor! Wth! I wonder if he knows...

tellerallaboutit July 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

What a great tip! Wonder if this would work with latex paint as well?!? Hrmmm.....Thanks for adding Tell'er All About It to your blogroll - I feel so honored :-)

Sarah @ Dream in Domestic July 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I had no clue there was a way to get it off but slowly picking at it over the course of a week! Thanks for sharing it with us - I can't believe it is that easy!

Mrs. Chic July 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM

thanks for the tip, I'll be suing oil based primer this weekend, and wasn't looking forward to the 'hands cleanup' process

Life in Rehab July 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Marry me...I actually did NOT know this handy little gem!

Candice July 22, 2010 at 12:10 PM

as a little incite from a following cosmetologist.. this also makes a great exfoliant for your body! if you feel like all that work outside is really building up the blackheads, just mix it with sugar when using it on your face! Never would I have thought about it for paint on skin! Thanks for the tip!!

Flavia @ Estilo Home July 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I did not know, and so wish I did a few months back! I made such a mess that I swore I'd never use oil-based paint again. With this trick, I might reconsider!

The Thriftress July 22, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I learned a similar trick by accident. After painting, I cleaned my wood kitchen table with Orange Glow and it also took the paint off!
Sarah

Jenny @ Anything Pretty July 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I had no idea....how handy and so much "greener" as well. Who knew?

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards July 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM

YOu are a flippin' genius. You have officially rocked my world. Becuase it's totally my luck that every time I use oil-based paint, I don't have any mineral spirits in the house.

Every.Single.Time. ;)

Anonymous,  June 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Baby oil works great too! I accidentally discovered it after a bath.

Anonymous,  August 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I'm always painting something and usually use oil-based primer for trim and furniture. I have been using paint thinner to get it off but as you know, it smells to high heaven and it's not that great for your hands. This is a wonderful tip that I shall try this week. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!