My Most Frivolous Post Yet

>> 7.19.2010

Okay, I'm going to just cut to the chase...

I bought way too many colors in the same skirt and I need your help deciding which one(s?) to return.

Why did I do this? Well, first there was the denim version that I bought at 40% off during an in-store Memorial Day sale at Gap:

It was so comfortable, flattering (perfect length and fullness for a shorter person with no hips), and versatile (I wore it three times in the first week) that I told myself that I would buy it in every color once it went on sale again.

So... as usual, Gap slashed their prices down during the week of July 4th and I found my favorite skirt on sale for $30 WITH an additional 25% off in-store promotion AND my Gap card savings of an additional 20% off... making them $18 each. And I bought one in every color:

brown because it's a neutral that looks amazing with my new $5 jean shirt (also on sale at the gap)

PS DON'T buy this online, it's selling for almost $20 more than you'll find it in the store! I find that this happens a lot with the online vs. in-store prices.

navy because it's another great neutral that I could dress up in a snap

bright blue because it's so different than the others and would look great with a black top and tights in the fall (yes, it's warm enough here to wear these suckers year-round)

and finally, this red/coral color (only sold in the stores) that I just had to have because I'm crazy.

I've worn the denim and brown already so they're not going anywhere.

As far as the navy, bright blue, and red skirts go, which one(s?) would you take back?
Remember... 1. I can wear them to work or on the weekends 2. It's warm enough to wear them all year here. 3. They were only $18 each after discounts.4. Yes, I know I'm the crazy skirt lady.

Life in Rehab July 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I'd take the red one back, but then I'm extremely color conservative. I dress more like I'm following Korn around the country.

Sassy July 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I would return the red and bright blue, if you decide to return 2.
I love the brown one!

claudia b July 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I would return the bright blue, I think the mileage out of that one would be less than the others, but honestly, KEEP THEM ALL! it's rare that one finds something adorable at that price!

Danielle and Clint July 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Red and Bright blue. Even though I like the color of both, I think you would get the most use out of the neutrals.

Christie, Describe Happy July 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Gosh, finding fit and comfort are so hard... if you have those then you should keep the colors that match your waredrobe! If that means all of them. Then so be it!

Alexis L., The Studioist July 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM

If returning one, I'd take back the bright blue. If returning two, I'd take back the bright blue and red. But again, I prefer neutrals to brights.

oneluckycouple July 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I say keep them all. It's a great price, and since they are solid colors, you can wear them with so much. It's a cute style! (I probably have 10 different colors of cardigans in similar styles, so maybe I'm biased! :))

The Brick Cottage July 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Cute skirt! I have the opposite body type from you (tall and hippy) but I want to run to the Gap and try that skirt on now I like it so much. Great buy!

Ok, now throwing my two cents in as I know how hard it is to bring home multiples and then try to decide what you're going to keep. So, if you for sure have decided that you don't want to keep them all, I would return the navy one. Yes, it pains me to say that because I love navy! But, I think it creates the same look as the jean one and is redundant (unless you can't wear the jean one to work, then keep the navy!). As for the bright blue and red, I'd keep just one of them. It sounds like you already have some outfits in mind for the fall that includes the bright blue one, so I'd probably keep it.

Good luck with your decision!

Hannah July 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I think I'd ditch the bright blue; when you want something blue you've already got the denim and navy, and when you want something bright you can mix it up and go for the red.

Sarah @ Dream in Domestic July 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Super cute!!! Once you find something that's flattering, it's hard to keep looking. I would've bought them all, too!

I say either keep them all or ditch the red since you didn't have any explanation for what you will do with it.

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog July 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I'd keep the bright blue and return the other two. I'd alter it too...show those gams!

Tylene,  July 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Keep them all!

I like to have "back-ups" of my favorite things. I've never regretted buying the same shirt or pair of shorts in a different color. BUT, I do regret not buying another pair of my favorite flats while they were still available. I've searched high and low for them but can't find them anywhere! :-(

chacha July 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I'd return the bright blue, keep the bright red b/c it's fun. Navy I could go either way. I would probably just keep the red and return the navy and the bright blue. Three of a single style of skirt is plenty - even if it's the perfect skirt. That way if you find another perfect skirt you can get it without feeling like you already have enough skirts.

Jenny July 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM

If I absolutely had to return one I think it would be the bright blue one. But it depends on how well you can combine each one. I think red is a fun color, especially for the summer, and navy is so classy, almost like black but a bit friendlier. Tough choice!

Livinia Redlips July 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I'd ditch the navy - super cute skirt (keep the red).

Babs July 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I LOVE the red!! Keep it and wear it when you're in a fun funky mood :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards July 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I'd keep them all. You'll wear them, they are cute and inexpensive. But, I also just brought home 4 pairs of the same shorts from Gap during the sale. ;)

Anonymous,  July 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I'd return the bright blue and the red. You're bound to get sick of it sooner or later and you'll regret that you bought so many. Keep the neutrals and if you want a fun, bright color then have your top be the color.

Brenda

Tovah July 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I'm surprised so many people thought you should get rid of the bright blue. I would get rid of the navy. You already have the brown and jean ones for neutrals. And for some reason you don't strike me as a red skirt person--bright blue yes. So if you get rid of two I'd do the navy and the red.

Jacquelin Seybert July 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The denim and brown are my favorite! SUPER cute skirt.

Erin @ Slipcover Your Life July 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I'd return the navy, and either keep the bright blue, or bright red, your preference. You already have a common color (brown) and the denim, so then just one 'fun' color!

Meg July 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I agree with the Brick Cottage! Navy is so cute, but it provides the same look as the 2 you already have. I'd say go a little bold and keep the red! Although I think you could keep all of them. You'll have to post a few outfits you put together!

Liz,  July 20, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I second the last comment! Plus post photos of the outfits you put together. I actually bought the same exact skirt from the Gap, except I bought this "color": http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5727&vid=1&pid=741477 (blue floral; they didn't have any solids when I was there). I've wanted to wear it, but I feel like no tops I own work well enough with it. I feel like the top needs to have a certain cut/length to work just right with this skirt, or maybe the top needs to be tucked in? Since you have the same skirt(s) hopefully you can help me! What kind of tops would you suggest? Thanks for your help!

Liz,  July 20, 2010 at 5:28 PM

oops, that should have been "please post" instead of "plus post" ... :)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno July 20, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I would take back the navy and blue ones. The red/coral is too pretty to return!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty July 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I have never regretted buying something I love in multiple colors....especially if it was inexpensive. If they are flattering and you love how they look you will wear them all!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog July 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Ahh, so much to think about! I love that some people want me to keep them all :).

@Liz~ I'm a total tucker so pretty much all of my shirts look great with it. I think they look insanely cute with a structured tucked in button up shirt.
I also bought 4 colors of this shirt: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26680&vid=1&pid=719986 for $3 after discounts and created a little summer uniform out of wearing it tucked into the skirt.
Also, I'm loving switching out the belt with ones that I already have to create different looks.

Pretty Little Things for Home & Life July 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I do the same thing when I find something I love, that fits great!

I would return the coral and the navy. Not only do I just not care for those colors. I think you have more options and wear out of the other colors....at least I would.