What's your next upgrade?

>> 7.23.2010

In this economy, many people are receiving pay cuts rather than pay raises. As the economy picks back up again, we can expect raises, bonuses, and promotions to return with job stability. Although the average pay yearly pay raise is usually a bit under 5%, this money can start to add up over a few years...

...and I know exactly what I want to do with that money! For 90% of my pay increase, I plan on putting it towards the smart stuff like savings, investments, the future... BUT I do feel like it's okay to put the extra 10% towards upgrading my life.

What would be my next upgrade? Well, it's something super diy-able and might make me seem a bit lazy, but I can't wait until I can afford to hire a house cleaning service! I'm not talking about a daily or even weekly service, but It would be amazing to have someone do the works on my house once or twice a month. I've looked into it and for around $100 per cleaning, I could have hours and hours of my free time back.

Maybe I can hire her... she obviously loves cleaning.

What's your next planned upgrade? Will you start taking yoga classes? Buy a vacation home? Upgrade to a fancier car? Take more vacations?

oneluckycouple July 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I'm with you on hiring someone to do good cleanings. It's on my wish list!

Danielle and Clint July 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM

We are on a tight budget with grocery shopping and have been for a couple years. It would be nice to not have to worry about coupons or quanity and just buy! lol

Kim at Yellow Brick Home July 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Wow, that's definitely not something I've ever thought about doing, but how lazy would I be if I hired out help for a home less than 650 sq ft? :)

It does sound like a dream to have all that free time back though!

tellerallaboutit July 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM

OMG, cleaning service, YES, ABSOLUTELY! I used to have one back before the economy tanked (ahhh....the days) and it's amazing what it does for your sanity, your social calendar, and even for your ability to "get other things done". I'm actually back in the saddle and looking around for cleaning services as we speak and can't wait!!! Best $100 a month you'll ever spend!

Hannah July 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

ooh I'm with you on the housecleaner. I live in a tiny New York apartment, and am an clean freak, but I would LOVE to have someone come once every month or so and do a big clean (get under all the furniture, back corners or closets, etc.). I don't mind doing it myself but it really eats up a Saturday!

Jeremy from We Took The Bait July 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Unless the job decided to give me a 45% raise, I think the projects I'd like to take care of are on the back burner.

But, if we do somehow get the opportunity to take care of some projects, the highest o priorities on my upgrade list include:

-- Solar panels for the roof
-- Finishing the attic
-- Refurbishing the bathroom
-- Getting a couple of trees/stumps removed

chacha July 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I have been saying for the last year that when my husband finally finds a job, I am getting a cleaning person twice a month.

Course, the "when he finds a job" is getting murkier and murkier - as murky as predicting when the economy and job market will turn around. No one really knows.

But, yes - I totally agree it's worth the money. I hate cleaning!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards July 23, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Hubby got me a housecleaning service once a month for Christmas (it was what I asked for). We did it for 2 months and then I cancelled it. Is it totally ridiculous that it stressed me out? I would come home and immediately look around for what they missed and get upset. I think I just need to try it again with another person. And, chill the heck out, too. ;)

Lauren July 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Our dream upgrade would be to upgrade our kitchen.. but with only one paycheck coming in currently it's gonna be a few years! But hey.. a girl can dream right? For now I will just drool over other people's kitchens :)

Christie, Describe Happy July 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM

That's a fun thing to think about. I agree that getting some time back is so valuable! Have a great weekend!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty July 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM

What a great question.....we were actually just discussing that. In my dreams the next thing will be the master bath....but that has big dollar signs associated with it. So we are in wait and see mode. A cleaning service is a great idea....we splurged on someone mowing the grass this year and it has been amazing not to have to worry about it anymore.

hiphousegirl July 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I've fantasized about having a cleaning service too- especially for all that stuff that I NEVER do. (Baseboards behind furniture? Riiiiiight.) It's going to be a very, VERY long time before that happens.

Right now though, my biggest upgrade that would give me tons of free time back would be a sprinkler system. Ohhhh how I would love a nice, buried, automatic sprinkler system. Don't get me wrong- I love toting around watering cans and dragging hoses all over the yard... okay, no I don't. I want a sprinkler system!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses July 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Oooh, good topic.

Kitchen! I'm dying to finish our kitchen! They're coming to rip out the floor tomorrow and I could not be happier about it!

Kelly