Hugo's Toy Test (plus a video)

>> 8.30.2010

I received soooo many helpful comments in my call for affordable and durable dog toys for "The Destroyer" Hugo that I feel  like the topic deserves a bit of a follow up post. Here's a quick summary of Hugo's favorite targets toys:

1. Wubba; $5+
This Kong toy is practically indestructible (which is probably why everyone kept recommending Kongs). Hugo enjoys carrying it around the house from time to time and chasing its little legs, but it doesn't normally carry his attention for longer than a few minutes at a time.
Thankfully I found this dog toy at Marshalls for around $3 because the squeak inside didn't last longer than the evening I brought it home. Hugo does like the crumpling sounds it makes and plays with it every few days.
3. Classic Kong; >$5
Again, these Kongs are practicaly indestructible. Hugo loves licking peanut butter from the insides, but usually stops playing with it once the taste wears off.
4. Squeaky Chicken Toy (random Marshalls find); <$5
We LOVE this one! Hugo loves the squeak and I love that he can't destroy the squeak. Unlike most squeak toys, the squeaker isn't just stuffed inside of the toy, but a part of the actual toy.
5. Nylabone; <$5
This was the second most highly recommended durable toy out there. This seems to be the toy that Hugo goes to when he's in the mood for some intense chewing and there are still no signs of it breaking apart.
Although they're more expensive than I would usually pay for a stuffed toy, I'm super impressed with this brand. Hugo chewed his little heart out and only managed to detach the wings and tail. Yep, the squeak lives!
7. random stuffed pig from Marshalls; <$5
RIP Little Pig.

Yeah, like Hugo would just sit by and watch me take pictures of all of his toys...

How is the diaper working out?
Hugo LOVES his diaper!
Check out this video to see him running to me when I ask if he want to put it on. Yes, he comes running every time! I was sure that he'd try to get it off, but he just loves wearing the thing... as well as "going" in it.

video

...and Hugo wearing the diaper:
video
(this is just for show... we normally only put it on him when he'll be at home/ inside alone)
Also, I know the yard is a mess. We're putting off any yard work until our half Ironman training ends in October. How is that going? Three hours swimming and running on Saturday and four hours cycling and running on Sunday= NO yard work!

Carolyn @ life, love & puppy prints August 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Our dogs LOVE the Wubba too! We have a leopard print one! The squeaky chicken is also a huge hit! We have a squeaky mouse creature that does the same thing! Both are crowd favorites! Nylabone was eaten by Cooper our puppy - I found little pieces all over our house. Boo to that! I don't know if you have this issue, but our dogs love to pull the stuffing out.

We have found that the toys where there is no stuffing are really good! They look like a dead animal, and aren't quite as cute as stuffed toys, but they're great! The dogs love them because they fit in their mouth really well, and we love them because there is no stuffing to be picked up! :)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses August 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM

You have no idea how helpful this post is. Seriously.

Kelly

Lauren August 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM

It took Banner almost 2 years but he finally puntured a hole in his Wubba. We had to buy him a replacement. We got him one shaped like a bowling pin. He loves that it bounces. I am glad that Hugo is enjoying his diaper. He is too funny!

threeacres August 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I tried replying to your previous toy post but after typing a long reply it got eaten by Blogger. Anyway, I have a long lasting treat recommendation that works on our tough chewer. Marrow bones. It might sound gross but if you get the short cut ones (2" long) the marrow is cleaned out quickly and then our dog chews on the bone for hours. I get them in bulk from our grocery store deli for $.50 a piece and she's spent up to 4 hours on one. When I get home I wrap each one individually in tin foil and put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Serve frozen on a blanket. The empty bone is enjoyed for a few days later and then I toss it.

Kate@TwentySixToLife August 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM

lol, that poor little pig! I'm glad Hugo is finding toys that he likes so much :)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno August 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Jeez, if I worked out that much I would probably have a heart attack. Good for you!

ps - the AKC toys are great, me and my ex used to give them to our 110 pound lab and he wouldn't destroy them in seconds!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode August 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I agree that the kong toys rock. Also, when my pups were younger, I'd often just take old socks or rags and tie them in knots. I hated spending money on plush toys just to have them ripped to shreds!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner August 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Thanks for sharing your finds! We actually just got a pup not too long ago and are still learning about all the toys out there. We definitely need the durable ones. The kong and Nylabone have been good choices so far. We also just bought a "bully stick," which came highly recommended from the pet store, but we have yet to try it out yet.

Life in Rehab September 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

More gratuitous puppy cheesecake shots!

Anonymous,  September 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

For the help please use http://www.google.com