Stripes?

>> 8.26.2010

If I'm finishing my half bathroom by Labor Day I need to decide on paint colors... like... now! If you know me at all, you'd know that I'm no where close to making that decision. Well, I at least know that I want stripes AND that I'd like to do something unique with the sloped ceiling (the bathroom is under a staircase). Let me know what you think:

A. Horizontal black and white stripes on wall with pop of color on ceiling (yellow? turquoise?).

B. Vertical black and white stripes on walls (and vanity cabinet?) with pop of color on ceiling.

C. Yellow stripes on ceiling with neutral walls.

D. Yellow stripes on walls with solid ceiling (color?)

E. Other?
A reminder of the before:

What would you do?

Kate@TwentySixToLife August 26, 2010 8:39 AM

oh my gosh Kasey, I have no idea but I LOVE these ideas! I'm so excited for your bathroom! Stripes! Love it!

April August 26, 2010 8:51 AM

How about stripes on the sloped wall (under stairs) and continued down the short wall where the toilet is? Solid color elsewhere.

Gloria,  August 26, 2010 9:07 AM

I would go with the black and white horizontal stripes with the pop of color.

Life in Rehab August 26, 2010 9:10 AM

I LOVE horizontal stripes in a small bath, and turquoise ceilings are a natural with me!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d August 26, 2010 9:16 AM

I like horizontal yellow stripes and neutral ceiling. The horizontal stripes should make the small space feel larger.

Amanda August 26, 2010 9:54 AM

Ooh ooh! Vertical stripes on the sloped wall and a pop of color on the others.

Audreya August 26, 2010 9:55 AM

What April said... :-)

Jackie Seybert August 26, 2010 10:03 AM

I love the horizontal stripes!

Kerry August 26, 2010 10:04 AM

I think the vertical stripes in yellow would look awesome, continued on the sloped part of the ceiling! It would really brighten up your little space and make it so fun!

I can't wait to see what you do!

Mama E August 26, 2010 10:04 AM

I like the ceiling stripes!
-Mama E

Mrs. Chic August 26, 2010 10:25 AM

love the slant of your bathroom ceilings. I would say strips on the ceiling only. Just because its a small space and might start to feel dizzy with too many strips...just me thoughts :)

Jenny August 26, 2010 10:40 AM

I like all the examples! I think I'd put yellow and white stripes on the sloped ceiling and the wall below it (vertically) and keep the rest simpler. Maybe the wall opposite the stripes black and the rest white or a creamy white? I wouldn't put something dark on the sloped ceiling, as it already cuts into the room and makes it smaller; I think yellow stripes would definitely look good!

Kate August 26, 2010 11:57 AM

I would def go vertical... but like all the color ideas!

Carly @ Honey and the Moon August 26, 2010 12:09 PM

I would definitely go vertical black & white stripes...I think it would make the ceiling seem much higher. And the ceiling...turquoise. I'm in love with turquoise right now, although I'm always in love with yellow.

Can't wait to see it! xo

Bri @Meyouandawienerdog August 26, 2010 12:45 PM

My walls were kinda messed up in our guest bathroom so I painted horizontal stripes, makes a boring wall almost like a piece of artwork it came out great I say horizontal.

chacha August 26, 2010 1:33 PM

If it's a little half-bath - can't tell from the pics - but if it is, I think vertical is the way to go. It'll make it feel bigger. Horizontal stripes in a small room, maybe will feel cramped or something.

Not sure about colors. Because the room is not big, I would probably lean towards lighter colors rather than blacks or dark blues. A gray-blue with white, wide stripes, could be nice.

Livinia Redlips August 26, 2010 2:15 PM

Love the strips. I like the black and white and yellow....I am leaning toward horizontal yellow white stripe w/same stripe ceiling (or white, if the space is very tiny).

Love this idea - can't wait to see what you decide.

Kim at Yellow Brick Home August 26, 2010 2:22 PM

For a smaller bathroom, I think subtle vertical stripes (to draw the eye up) with a super crisp bright white ceiling would be the most powerful. Perhaps a pale yellow/white stripe or even mint/white?

LizzieBeth August 26, 2010 3:04 PM

I would say vertical stripes on the walls, and a solid color on the sloped ceiling and wall behind the toilet. I think if you do it vicey versey, it's going to make the the ceiling very heavy looking-- like it's falling in on you.

I would also say maybe instead of black and white, perhaps more of a grey and white. It's a reeeaaaallllyyy small space, and I think the contrast of black and white would be a little much.

I do really love the idea of popping it with torquoise though :)

Amanda @ Tall Glass of Water August 26, 2010 4:23 PM

I agree with April and Amanda up there. Bold color stripes on the slope going up and over and the other walls a solid neutral color. I like the look of a frame-less large mirror to let those stripes really stand out.

Amy @ Renovation Innovation August 26, 2010 7:49 PM

Great ideas! I like the idea of black and white horizontal stripes with the pop of color (turquoise?)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys August 26, 2010 8:39 PM

Here is what I say: Horizontal stripes (wide). Treason I say wide horizontal stripes is because you would want the bathroom to seem larger (I suppose).

And on the ceiling, I would do the color that you want!

I cant wait to see what you decide!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys August 26, 2010 8:41 PM

Forot to tell you that I'm doing something similar!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno August 26, 2010 10:13 PM

Horizontal stripes with turquoise ceiling! However, if was doing it, it would be all one color because I have NO patience for striping. Good luck choosing and implementing the plan!

Sara August 26, 2010 11:55 PM

I love love love your first idea. I wish you had put in a survey. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Cat@BudgetBlonde August 27, 2010 4:21 PM

Love vertical! Love yellow!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode August 27, 2010 8:13 PM

My first thought is that vertical will make it feel bigger. To me the horizontals feel like the walls are restricting you. And I'd only do walls or ceiling, not both. But what do I know...never done stripes at home!

Meagan August 28, 2010 10:48 AM

K- I would be careful putting dark stripes in that small space. The yellow or a pale gray would look great. But its also a small room, so personally I'd only do stripes on one wall. I looove the horizontal stripes. There is something so versatile about them, they can be nautical too!
Xoxo meg

Maggie August 29, 2010 11:41 PM

I'm agreeing with the vertical stripes on the walls only, but using lighter colors, like a grey and white, and one of those two colors for the ceiling.

Jamie Lee August 30, 2010 9:44 AM

I'm weighing in a bit late, but I love the vertical stripes with a pop of color on the ceiling! Good luck!

Jamie Lee August 30, 2010 9:44 AM

RJ @ A Life Designed August 30, 2010 12:44 PM

I love the look of the vertical black stripes, it can be really elegant! But I guess it really depends on how you want to accessorize!

I'd opt for the stripes with a hint of colour on the ceiling, nothing too bold. Can't wait to see what you do!

Meg August 30, 2010 2:04 PM

Oh, so much fun!!! I vote that you do the walls up with stripes! My husband also worried about wall stripes in our small guestroom, but they're not overwhelming at all! In fact, they make the room look bigger. The black and white stripes are sooo much fun! I think I'd prefer the wall to the ceiling because the ceiling might end up being too heavy and taking away the room's balance. But, I also don't know what I'm talking about. :D

Cannot wait to see how it turns out!!!! Remember your frog tape!!