Thoughts?

>> 8.03.2010

I'm trying to add a little interest to the living room. Unfortunately, I have some complex that keeps me from buying pillows for over $10. I bought a pair of the pictured pillow from World Market for $9 each (and they're still returnable).

It seems to have the colors that go with the room and the fabric I plan to use on the blue chair, but I'm not sure if it's too similar...

Thoughts? Should I keep looking?

PS Yes, Hugo is trying to steal the show.

LizzieBeth August 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Meh. I think you can do better.

Danielle and Clint August 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I like them! But I am one that if you are having second thoughts, there is a reason. Return them and maybe you will find something better.

Amanda @ Tall Glass of Water August 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Not to fond of the pillow. Its got this brown on brown thing going on with the couch. If the pillow was of the other fabric, then yes! Bold, colorful, fun pillows :)

Life in Rehab August 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I agree, they just aren't doing it for me, but keep in mind I'm a big fan of brights.

Mrs. Chic August 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

For some reason I keep picturing your sofa with Ikat - which would work well with your sofa & chair and tie in nicely with the global modern vibe your living room plans?

Try L&S Fabrics for Ikat and Calico Corners...just my thoughts

k + b August 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Hugo is cute!
I think I would like some patterns in your pillows besides clean straight lines... break it up a bit! I should take my own advice...hah

Kim at Yellow Brick Home August 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Kasey, I think you just need to GO for the BOLD!

Ikea has a lot of great super fun black and white pillows, which I know you like. And in addition to some fun b/w graphics, why not inject 2 or 3 pillows in unexpected colors - such as hot pink, sunny yellow, or a kelly green?

And if you're worried about going overboard with the color, why not snatch up a yummy oatmeal colored throw from HomeGoods or TJ Maxx on the cheap and have it hanging out over the back of the couch? With fun pillows and a neutral throw, you'd create a space that's so inviting, comfortable, and playful.

Another trick could be to grab pillows in different sizes. 2 oversized pillows with 3 smaller forms create a much more interesting cluster.

Carly August 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I agree with everyone that you need more pops of color with those pillows!

However, I do agree..I have problems with buying pillows that cost more than $10. It killed me the other day to buy a $24 pillow from Target for my bedroom.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses August 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Keep looking. But I disagree with the masses about "pops of color." Especially considering the curtains.

How about texture? Or pattern? Also, maybe add a throw? I think the West Elm pillows I have in this room might work well for you...

(Numbers 33 and 51)

Kelly

alanna rose August 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I'll echo everyone else - you need more color! I don't think the pillows are that bad though, combined with a few bolder, statement pillows they would look really nice. I'd keep them and add a few more :)

PS - in a previous post you mentioned having more toilets than people - that was me in my last house. I always forgot to clean that 3rd toilet - the water would actually evaporate from the bowl!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d August 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I think you can definitely sew a few simple covers for cheapo Joann pillow inserts. That's what I always do: http://ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com/the-grand-tour/ I, too, have a complex that prohibits buying pillows. I'd rather make my own covers to easily change out as I feel AND, I don't have to store a bunch of pillows, just inserts.

With that said, I would like to see some geometric patters with brighter colors.

Alexis L., The Studioist August 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I like them but I think that if you are underwhelmed, keep looking.

Bri @Meyouandawienerdog August 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I'm the same way about pillows i refuse to pay more than $10, I even found a Michael Kors pillow once marked down to $12 from $120 because it had a small smudge on it I almost put it back but my girlfriend told me to stop being so cheap and buy it! I usually make my own, also check West Elm clearance section I've bought some there for $4 before.

Dianna August 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I my opinion, since you have the fabric picked out for other projects, finding pillows with those colors, no matter the design, should work very well.

I know I over think too much sometimes. You may want to cover your chair with the fabric before purchasing pillows.