What was in the box?

>> 8.16.2010

I can't say that I didn't have a tiny sneaking suspicion that a new camera might be in the old cereal box that Nate used to wrap my birthday present in... what I didn't know was that  he would exceed the $250ish price tag we set for our gifts (by a lot). Anyways, meet my new love camera:

I'm not sure if you've noticed but the picture quality hasn't been the best around here lately**. Back when I started the blog, I had a pretty good Olympus point and shoot (see picture quality here), but it was stolen when my car was broken into in January. Since then I've used Nate's even older 7.1 mega pixel Olympus point and shoot that often took grainy pictures in low light (see quality here). Nate knew that I was itching for better photos so in came the Sony-Cyber Shot.
**I also need to mention that I do borrow Nate's DSLR from time to time when I want better quality (as seen here).

I'm really excited about using the camera's panoramic feature to take "after" pictures of the rooms in my house! How cool is this picture Nate took on our bike ride this past Saturday:
When a camera is drop-proof, it's okay to take pictures while riding a bike... right?

One of the big factors in Nate's purchase was the waterproof feature of the camera. We're near water/ sweaty so often that it just doesn't make sense to get a normal camera. And honestly, who wouldn't want to miss out on moments like this:
he's a little daredevil

...and speaking of dogs, I have to mention that SOMEONE got into a dog food bin while being babysat last Friday. After SIX POUNDS of food, an extremely bloated belly, and trip to the emergency vet, she's doing just fine. I guess something has to go wrong when your birthday falls on Friday the 13th.

To summarize:
1. When a boyfriend buys you an expensive present you can get over it pretty quickly
2. Expect better pictures from now on.

Amanda August 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Ooooh what a nice gift! My brother has one of those shock-proof waterproof ones too and it is awesome! Looking forward to many more photos. Also, I'm glad your doggy is okay. Six pounds of food!!!! Yowza!

chacha August 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

My GSP did that - the overeating food thing. She couldn't sit down from all the food she ate. It was my stupid attempt at seeing if she could be free-fed - I had one of those automatic feeders. I had read that initially they might over-eat but then would figure out the food was always there and not get obsessed.

After being miserably bloated, not able to sit, whining, all afternoon and evening, at 3am I heard her start scarfing food down again (I guess enough food had digested to make room) and that's when I figured out she did not understand her food limits like my other dog.

Anyway - I'm glad your little lady is feeing better and didn't get a case of gastric torsion!

Flavia @ Estilo Home August 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

What a great gift! I think I need to get a new one, too. My pictures always look grainy with the bad lighting I have in my house. This camera takes amazing pictures! Very sweet of Nate to get you that.

Kristi W @ life with a camera August 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yay for Sony cameras! You are going to love it.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno August 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Happy birthday, and OHMYGOSH huw funny that dogs will eat themselves sick! I guess they are a lot like humans, eh?

Kelly@TearingUpHouses August 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Yay! What a great gift! Two points for Nate!

Kelly

Jenny @ Anything Pretty August 16, 2010 at 9:44 PM

What a fun gift! And aren't mischievous puppies so much fun? So glad they are OK!

Alexis L., The Studioist August 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM

What a nice gift. Looking forward to more pics.

Lauren August 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM

What a great gift! Happy belated birthday!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic August 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Oh my gosh, your photos before were NOT bad! Bad was my five year old Sony (5 megapixels, I think?).

I love that little thing, though. Even though I have a fancy, new camera, I still grab my little Sony fairly often. They are workhorses!

Kate@TwentySixToLife August 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM

What a perfect gift! Love the new photos!