A Blank Slate

>> 9.15.2010

I just wanted to pop in with a little update on my half bathroom makeover...

Day 1:

Today:

After a ton of scraping and floating, the walls are finally smooth!
Remember that ugly texture?

I don't miss it one bit!!

Also, I put up a new light fixture from the Restoration Hardware Outlet...

If I were any good at taking pictures of light fixtures, it would look like this:

Oh well, at least it doesn't look like this...

Restoration Hardware Outlet is my absolute go-to place when it comes to affordable light fixtures (remember my last great find?). I was able to by the Modern Double Sconce in perfect condition for $40 (after an additional 20% promotion). That's a savings of $69 off of the current price!

Thrifty Tip: If you come across a great deal at an outlet store, make sure to inspect the product carefully. Some "deals" are really reduced prices on damaged goods while others are simply returns.

PS If you've been following my home decorating style you might notice that the oil-rubbed bronze finish doesn't quite meld with the other finishes of the house... but I think it will go perfectly with the black and white stripes I have planned. Yep, I'm whipping out the black paint again!

chacha September 15, 2010 at 10:31 AM

The fixture is awesome! I wish we had a an RH outlet here. We have a Pottery Barn one about 45 minutes north but it's a trek to go out there and then possibly find nothing.

I do not stress about the matching finishes. Not every finish has to match to look nice.

Danielle and Clint September 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I have a very similar light fixture from Restoration Hardware in my bathroom! I love their lighting! I registered their for our wedding shower and was so happy I did!

Flavia @ Estilo Home September 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Yey for smooth walls! The fixture is gorgeous too. How easy is it to swap out lighting fixtures? The one in my bathroom is hideous but I've been a little afraid to mess with it.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

@Flavia~ It's super easy, but can be a bit dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I've had a $200 lesson from an electrician so I feel very confident connecting the black wire to the black, white to the white, etc. If you're worried about safety, I suggest paying an electrician for an hour and having him swap out several fixtures at once.

Life in Rehab September 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

NICE! And hey, these things take time.

Kate@TwentySixToLife September 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Lookin' good! My bathrooms have a similar light to your old one - but they have "wood" accents. Yeah, I really need to redo my bathroom ... at any rate, I will have to live vicariously through you and your fabulous new lighting for now.

I can't wait to see the stripes!

dolores @ Welcome to My Humble Ablog September 15, 2010 at 4:53 PM

So jealous of your smooth walls...my ceilings are atrocious!

I'm looking forward to your step by step post...

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 15, 2010 at 5:07 PM

@Dolores~ I'm not planning a step-by-step for the walls, but I did create two posts for removing popcorn ceilings:

threeacres September 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I WISH I had a RH outlet near us. What a beautiful fixture! Oh...black stripes you are daring I can't wait to see it.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno September 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I love the light. I actually do have a RH outlet about 10 minutes from me....I will have to check it out for my next fixture!

the cape on the corner September 16, 2010 at 7:56 AM

i'm crying in jealously over that new fixture, b/c mine is your old one. i hate that flippin' thing! i love how modern the new one is!

thanks for your comment-see, that's exactly why i don't get the halloween complaints ppl make, but then again, i hate the summer so i am always glad for it to be over and fall to start!

Anonymous,  September 22, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.