Budgeting for Blooms

>> 9.01.2010

I challenge you to find a room in a decor magazine or shelter blog that isn't styled with flowers. Even the most amazing space can use the pop of color and life that a fresh bouquet adds. You might have noticed that I "style" most of my pictures with a few flowers here and there. The truth is, we I actually budget to have fresh flowers in the house at all times (diva-ish, I know).

Thrifty tips for having fresh flowers in the house at all times:

1. Get the cheapest bundles available. While the bigger bundles might offer more stems for your money, they'll still die at the same time. Don't be afraid to use strategically placed bud vases instead of large arrangements.

2. Pick flowers that last at least 7 days! My grocery store actually lists the expected life of each flower on the store packaging, but any florist should be able to point you in the right direction. My favorite 14+ day flowers are Carnations and Astromerias... here's a good guide that list several other longer-lasting flowers.

3. Don't treat yourself to everything. Decide what special luxury has the most impact on your life- is it the car wash, Starbucks, or the flowers?

4. Grow your own... or steal from your neighbors ;) or be the type of person that people want to give flowers to.
Okay, so maybe I "stole" these wildflowers from the park across the street.

5. Get creative with your sources. Restaurants, weddings, and florists that might have leftover flowers that they're willing make a deal on (or give away!).

Oh, and would you believe that at $4 every two weeks ($8/ month), we're even able to squeeze it into our already bare grocery budget of $40-50/ week.?! It can be done!

What luxury do you make room for in your budget?

Life in Rehab September 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I'm notorious for just picking things out of the yard for arrangements, but I do love the occasional grocery store bouquet. Excellent tips!

A Thrifty Penny September 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

My favorite tip is to grow your own (which you mentioned) Many people only think about growing flowers in the spring and summer, but they can be grown all year round indoors. I used my brightly lit laundry room. Save some coffee/formula cans and have a ready made flower garden!

Mrs. Chic September 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I usually snip rose from our bushes or branches, or stop in the store. Mainly my luxury to myself is Starbucks, but I'm down to once a week!

A Thrifty Penny September 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

The internet is my luxury. It certainly isn't necessary, but it's a sanity saver for sure!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia September 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My Luxury is my Mani/Pedi combo. Is the only way to be a sane mommy for me.

Jenny September 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I love having fresh flowers around, they upgrade a room so easily! My mom grows a lot of flowers, so I usually just clip some lavender or peonies or whatever's in bloom. I've had a lot of luck with cheap grocery store bouquets as well, and just 2 weeks ago I got my first phalaenopsis from a friend. Hope I don't kill it...

savvy_homegirl September 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I also splurge on flowers... in the spring. I spend at least $50 on plants, usually a few perennials, that will bloom all summer long and I can clip for a vase anytime I want!

Meg September 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I'm the same way about flowers around the house! I recently decided to invest in dried flowers so that they stick around forever.

My mom gave me some dried yellow flowers for the kitchen and I just bought about 20 stems of dried blue hydrangeas on Ebay for about 10 bucks. I'm also considering buying dried peonies for the dining room, which I've also spotted on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Love your flower photos!!

Shannon@ {aka} | design September 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Love it! We moved into our house last fall and I was thrilled to find someone had planted all sorts of flowers and wildflowers in the yard. I had bouqets all through the house (my little girls kept picking them!).
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca

Christie, Describe Happy September 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM

The is mega cheap for flowers!! I'm impressed. I cheat by using plants that withstand my no watering abuse. And I also cut flowers from my garden!

Livinia Redlips September 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Good skincare (wash, moisturizer, eye cream) - from Kinerase. It's my indulgence.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner September 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I rarely have fresh flowers around the house because I always think it's too expensive. So maybe I need to heed some of your advice! It would also help if we actually grew our own flowers that we could pick.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty September 6, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I love having fresh flowers around the house...they totally make a room. I love these tips and I am so impressed you can squeeze it in that tiny grocery budget!

Allison September 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I also buy flowers either every week or every other week. My grocery store almost always has small bouquets that are 3 for $12. I always try to pick one that will last long, usually carnations.