A room for guests?

>> 9.09.2010

With a wedding coming up next year, thoughts of all the family members and friends who would need to travel into town have started to creep into my mind. While I probably won't want to host anyone the nights surrounding my wedding, it would be nice to have the ability to offer up a space to visitors. The thrifty side of  me (okay, so every side is thrifty) started to rethink our decision to make the second bedroom of our house into an office instead of a guestroom.
source: domino

Guestrooms aren't just fun to decorate, but having one available can end up saving your guest hundreds of dollars. Imagine you host guests three weekends a year... compared to $100ish per night, that could add up to a savings of up to $1,000.

At the same time, you could end up "wasting" the space for the other 350ish days of the year by not hosting guests.
source: domino

What are your thoughts on guest rooms... are they necessities or luxuries? How much money have you saved your friends/ family by having the ability to offer up a space for them to stay?

Danielle and Clint September 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM

We have a guest room right now, but the dogs use it more than guests. When I first moved into our home, my mom stayed over a lot to help with painting, etc. I think it is a must to have a place for out of towners to stay when visiting. Good idea!

Amanda September 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I would make it both! Kind of like the new office/guest room that YHL just did... just have a pullout couch, or if you have room even a full-sized bed in there with your desk. I'm currently working on (among a billion other things) making my second bedroom a guestroom/craft room/piano room. I really love the idea of being able to offer guests a place to stay, even if you use that room for something else the rest of the time. And congrats again on getting engaged- I'm really excited for you guys!

Kerry September 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I think they are great, but we love having people over and it works great for B's family who live out of country and come to visit a few times a year!

You could also consider having the room do double duty (kind of like what Sherry & John did with their guest room @ YHL). It allows you to be creative with how you handle the office side of things in a room meant for guests! :)

Kim September 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I would definitely do both! Maybe just a full sized bed in the corner, and use the rest as an office. You could put a convertable sofa in there too, in addition to the bed for added sleeping room.

Ann Porteous September 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I have a three bedroom house with two kids, but I still like to have some sortof guest bed, just in case! I have a convertable sofa in my nursery and it works great! I think it is a good idea, and for now you could do the pairing of office/guest room!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards September 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I love having a guest room, although it doesn't get used a ton, I love having a place for friends and family to stay. However, our new house is going to have a dual office/guest room, which is ideal for us. Is there a way to put a small desk on one side? I think that could be the best use of space.

emily @ the happy home September 9, 2010 at 4:10 PM

i would love to have a guest room, but we can only afford a two-bedroom house right now, and the boyfriend needs the second room for his studio. one day! i can't wait to have a guest room that i can decorate to the fullest extent.

April September 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Having a guest room, or at least a bed in an office, is key. You're more likely to have friends come to town to visit you if you can offer them a place to sleep. They won't mind sharing the room with a desk and computer! However, I would not recommend housing anyone during the wedding festivities, even a few nights before you will want to be able to be home without guests to decompress.

Jenny September 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I like having the possibility of hosting guests, so I'd probably make it a combination of an office and a guestroom, maybe with a sleeper sofa or a futon. That way your guests have some space to themselves and you don't waste that space when you don't have guests.

LizzieBeth September 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I can. not wait. to have a guest room. Right now, we live so far from our guests that often their visitation ends early because they have to drive home. I would love to give them the option of staying over.

Personally, we don't need an office. We both have laptops and neither of us "brings our work home" so that would be more wasted space.

But I agree with PP... duel that mother up YHL style . But go with their pre-baby look of the daybed. I really hate pull out couches. They are so... college.

Katie September 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

we have 4 bedrooms so we are able to have a dedicated guest room - we weren't really looking for a 4 bedroom, but now that we have it i can't imagine not having a guest room. i like that our guests have their own space when they come to visit. now if only we could also have an extra bathroom...

Meg September 10, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Atlanta is one of those towns where everything is spread out. Our friends live in different areas and we're 45 minutes to an hour away from all of them. We end up having people stay over all the time after a late night and it's nice to be able to offer them a private room instead of a couch or the floor.

I like everyone's suggestions of the YHL office/guestroom combo. And I especially love those inspiration photos! Gorgeous!!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d September 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM

We need a guest room because mostof our family lives out of state, coming from Minnesota, Alaska, Virginia, Indiana, etc. Our guest room gets used about 1 1/2 months throughout the year, so if you figure $100 per night we've definitely saved our guests about $18,000 over the four years we've had it. I'd say it's worth it if you have people visiting from out of town often...

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life September 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I think having a guest room is a total necessity in our home! I feel like my family is coming up for vists at least once every few months.

We also like to throw parties, so having a guest room gives our guests who come from out of town a place to rest their heads. Even with our guest room, there have been many a times, when we have a full blown sleep over and people are sleeping on the couches too. Eventually when we finish the basement, I plan to get a sleeper sofa so that we have more options for when people stay with us!

melinda KE,  September 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I have a guest room/sewing room. Since my family lives out of state it's very important to me to have a comfortable place for them to stay when they visit. I also have just enough room in there to house my sewing machine, a console table with baskets of fabric on the bottom shelf and a small cabinet that holds patterns. However, since my living space is limited it often bothers me that I can't use that area for other things I need...like room for exercise equipment would be nice! Maybe if you have enough room you could have a day bed or pull-out couch and still make the other half into an office?

Envy My Cooking September 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Just found this blog and loving it.. hop on over if you ever need new and yummy recipes or if you want to share you own.

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia September 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM

When I owned a home we had a guest room (being the most of our relatives live abroad or in another state. Right now we dont have one and frankly, even if we get the space I would use it as a craft/guess room.

maggieoh September 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Congrats on the engagement! I've been reading your blog for quite awhile and love what you've done to your place so far.

I think if you have room for a bed or something that could function as a bed in your office, put one in there. You'll get enough use out of it.

Alexis L., The Studioist September 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

We don't host a lot and the most our guests have ever been treated to is a blow-up mattress. (Sorry family) But in the home we are looking to buy, we are thinking of making one or two of the five bedrooms flexible for a guestroom.