So you say you want a stainless appliance...

>> 9.24.2010

"the fingerprints will drive you crazy"

If you've researched into stainless appliances, you've seen the negative reviews and warnings about little (and big) hands leaving fingerprints all over the surface. Now that I've owned a couple of my own stainless appliances for a few months, I'd like to throw a few of my feelings into the mix...

1. Yes, they will get dirty. I'll keep it real, this is an actual picture of my dishwasher earlier this week:

2. BUT they aren't hard to clean. Unfortunately, using a regular damp cloth will leave streaks behind on the surface so you have to go out and buy a special cleaner of some sort. I highly recommend the simplehuman Cleaning Mitt (mine is from Crate & Barrel).

3. If you're worried about your kids leaving prints, have them clean it! All you need to do is dampen one side of the mitt to wipe off the marks then dry with the reverse side. Because there aren't any chemical cleaners involved, I'd say a 5-year-old could do this as a chore.

AFTER- as pretty as the day we met!

As you can see, this sucker really picked up some grime!

4. Buying a "stainless look" appliance might be a good alternative for you. My refrigerator is actually done with a faux stainless finish. While this finish isn't quite as durable as stainless, it looks as clean and modern as stainless while wiping down suuuuper easily with a damp cloth
PS The freezer on this Samsung has mysteriously turned itself off a few times... it was as good as new once we reset the temperature, but a strange behavior for a new appliance.

How did you decide on your appliance finish? Are you happy with the color you went with... or are you stuck with one you hate?

Mrs. Chic September 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I really want stainless...its a nice classic look - even though the fingerprints will be annoying. Most likely we'll get a new dishwasher & range....and keep our black fridge. I know mismatched appliances....lol the horror! :)

Leigh September 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM

This is a random idea....but we have a similar fridge to yours (not the same kind) and one day we realized that it wasn't running at all. We couldn't figure out what the issue was until we opened up the freezer drawer and right in the middle on the top, there was a dial that turns the whole fridge/freezer off. Turns out the freezer was too full and a loaf of bread managed to turn the dial to off. Just an idea :)

emily @ the happy home September 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM

my parents opted for all-black appliances, but a fridge that matched the cabinetry. it blends really well with their black granite countertops.

i'll probably do the same, actually. i don't really did stainless unless they are actually restaurant appliances. (i secretly coved a 1970's avocado green fridge)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM

@Leigh~ Thanks! I'm going to look for that when I get home today :).

Danielle and Clint September 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My dishwasher when I moved in was black. The fridge and oven are black and off white. We got our microwave in black. I like the look of stainless, but I am happy with what I have. I think anything you have is going to get dirty and require a cleaning. So I think you get what looks good in your space!

Ingrid@morestylethancash September 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I would strongly urge you to go on line and see if this is a common problem with Samsungs - there might be model problem that could lead to a re-call

Autumn @ FallForDesign.com September 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Seeing this posts makes me glad that we stuck to black. We had a black dishwasher and stove and decided to get a black microwave. Our fridge is still white and probably will be until it dies. But I would hate having to clean the front of my appliances all the time. We have to clean the house daily as is!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty September 26, 2010 at 9:01 PM

We just got a stainless dishwasher and the prints are just starting to annoy me. But not enough to make me regretting it one minute because I love how it cleans an how it looks. I had seen those special cleaning cloths and after hearing they work great for you I will have to try one!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno September 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I think people pretty much have to do stainless appliances to sell their houses these days. I just think they look the cleanest, so that is what I will buy. White appliances get filthy, too - but with dirt, not just fingerprints. Ew!

Keeley September 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I replaced all of our 90's-era bisque (beige) appliances with stainless steel. Yes, they get fingerprints and smudges, but even a lazy lady like me can take 5 minutes a week to wipe them down. It's so worth it for that clean, modern look. Our kitchen looks updated, even though we only changed paint and appliances.

Jenna Scott September 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Hey there, I'm new to your blog... first visit, woohoo! I actually have the exact same thing going on at my house. stainless steal everywhere but the fridge. I have a platinum fridge which looks like yours!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner October 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM

We also have all stainless, and I really like it. I feel like it goes with many different styles of decor. It does get the fingerprints, but that's just more incentive to clean it every once in awhile. We got our appliances from Sears, and they gave us several bottles of stainless steel cleaner to polish it with. That cleaning mitt looks pretty handy, thought!

Life in Rehab October 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM

The hubs has lobbied for stainless for day one, and my answer has been a very firm "NO!!!" for the cleaning reasons. He cooks. He does dishes. He does not clean the kitchen, however, so my white appliances are here to stay.

Comeca Jones April 29, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Common to the Samsung I have had two one was a fridge over freezer then I wanted the armoire style so I got a new one but after reset its fine just annoying.