Finished!

>> 10.25.2010

1. I'm officially half of an Ironman :). The $300 race was worth every penny and hour of preparation that I put into it over the past six months.

I guess it's easy for me to say this because my day was amazing! Even without a wetsuit, the 72 degree water felt refreshingly perfect. Then although I had to deal with a bit of leg cramping on the 56 mile bike ride, I felt strong until the end. Finally, I ended the day with the best half marathon run I could imagine and finished with a smile on my face (which was more important than any time goal I could have come up with). Woo hoo!

2. I'm putting down the paintbrush (for now) and calling this half bathroom project finished(*ish).
After:

I'm loving the stripes, new light fixture, and black cabinet, but not so sure about my bold choice of yellow mirror. I've always loved black-white-yellow combos, but I'm not sure if it's working here yet (nothing a paintbrush can't fix later!).

What I am sure of is that it's 1,000% better than it was before:
*barf*

*yes, I'm aware of the missing towel and toilet paper holders

So... "YELL-NO" or "YELL-GO-ahead and start painting everything that color because it's that good?"

Kim at Yellow Brick Home October 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I'm partial to black and yellow since I'm from Pittsburgh, and also since our own bathroom mirror is yellow and we LOVE it!

However, I agree it may be too strong of a color choice? Or perhaps see if it grows on you and it becomes your super funky fun room? After all, it's not like it's a room you spend hours in (I hope)!

Leigh October 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Congratulations on your half ironman finish! That is amazing that you did it! :)

Kate October 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Way to go Kasey! A post with a half Ironman AND a half bath?! Superb!

Amy @ Renovation Innovation October 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Congrats on the Iron Man - thats an amazing achievement!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM

@Kate~ I never thought of it that way! Maybe I should have been a bit more creative with my title ;).

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Liking the black & white stripes, but yellow is a bit much for my tastes. One thing comes to mind... Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker October 25, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Wow! Talk about accomplishments! Congrats!!! And your bathroom is lovely!

Meg October 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Congrats on the Iron Man!! That is WAY impressive!!

And I absolutely adore those stripes!!! Your bathroom is absolutely gorge. I agree that the yellow doesn't quite blend well enough, though I love the idea. What if you painted (though I bet the idea makes you shudder after all of that) the mirror either gray or black and then found some yellow accessories to really make it pop?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM

@Meg~I'm thinking that's where I might be going... Honestly, painting the mirror is NOTHING compared to doing the stripes!

Hannah October 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I'm surprising myself here, but I actually like the yellow! And congrats on your half iron man!

Flavia @ Estilo Home October 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Congrats! The bathroom looks great! It was worth all the effort. I am wondering if maybe a deeper shade of yellow on the mirror would do the trick? I also like the idea of painting it black.

Amanda October 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Yell-go! Great job on the half iron man! Great, now I will probably feel the need to do one! I'm so glad you finished smiling- that is worth much more than a time goal. :-)

micah @ the yellow front door October 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

YELL-GO! Love the black, white & yellow combo! And congrats on finishing the Ironman, superwoman!

the cape on the corner October 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM

wow, that's amazing! you deserve to feel proud. and i am really loving the half bath with the yellow. it's bold, but it looks good!

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

Meredith Travels October 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

WOOHOOOOOOO for the ironman!!!

I really like the yellow mirror. But, maybe if the yellow feels too strong go with a cool accent color instead of a warm accent. Teal instead of yellow? But what an amazing transformation! It's miraculous!

The Brick Cottage October 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Congratulations! I can't imagine how much training went into completing a half iron man. I'm in awe!

I'm kind of liking the yellow in your bathroom. Defiantly better than the before!

Kate@TwentySixToLife October 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Huge CONGRATS for completing the half Ironman! That must feel so great! You should be super proud!

And I'm digging the bathroom too. In photos it looks great, but I can see how it might translate differently in real life. It looks great though and certainly makes a statement! :)

Jenny October 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I love the yellow mirror! But I think I might love it better in a darker, warmer shade of yellow? I think it's a great choice either way, especially with the lovely yellow flowers!
Also, congrats on the half Ironman! I wish I had the determination to do something like that!

chacha October 25, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Awesome job on your half! Is that you're finish time (on the clock), approx? That's pretty awesome.

I am not sure what to make of the yellow. Maybe there needs to be more? I feel like it looks out of place like there needs to be something else to go with that yellow. I think my eyes keep travelling to the white vanity countertop.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses October 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I agree with Chacha about the yellow. And the white countertop. But I really like how the stripes and light turned out. Where is that fixture from?

And congrats on the Ironman!

Kelly

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM

@chacha~ My swim wave started a little after the official clock start, but it's close

&Kelly~ Yeah, I hate the counter, but don't want to invest in a new one right now. The fixture is from Restoration Hardware. I got a great deal on it at the outlet.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner October 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Congratulations to you! That is beyond impressive!!

The yellow is a bold choice, but that goes with the bold black & white stripes! I'm not that adventurous - I probably would have done a silver frame or something. I like the idea of just doing some bright accessories, though.

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM

It's not the yellow mirror. I think it is the stripes. It sort of reminds me of a jail. It being so small the whole effect is sort of shocking. I loved your design sense so much, but this took me aback.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Wow, congrats!!

About the mirror - I think that yellow is not holding it's own against the really bold stripes. I would get a really thick, ornate mirror and paint it gold or silver to 'compete' with the stripes. That skinny mirror is just swallowed up otherwise.

Jackie October 26, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Congratulations on your 1/2 ironman! The bathroom looks great!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 26, 2010 at 5:56 AM

@Sara~ Hmm, maybe it is the thickness of the mirror that's causing the problem.

Ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com October 26, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I like the black and white stripes with the Yellow! Nice!

LizzieBeth October 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Congrats on the Ironman-- that is a huge accomplishment!

I'll be honest: Love the stripes, not so much the mirror. I agree with a previous poster that it reminds me of Beetlejuice.

How about an apple green?

Jenny @ Anything Pretty October 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

What an accomplishment! I am so impressed!

I think adding some other yellow accessories may make you really love that mirror. Love how it is coming together!