Thoughts on Stripes and a Frog Tape Review

>> 10.06.2010

Thoughts on stripes:
1. Prepping for the stripes takes longer than you might think: tape around edges... mark with pencil... level tape... double check... repeat... repeat... repeat.
2. It takes sooo much more tape than you might imagine!
3. I wish I could pull tape off of walls for a living; it was so fun to see the stripes finally revealed.
4. There will be a bit of touch up work (which is what I need to work on).

A Frog Tape review*:
Thanks to my underestimation of the amount of Frog Tape that I needed to buy, I found myself out of tape with two stripes to finish :(. I did have blue painter's tape on hand so I thought, "what better time to do a first hand comparison?!"
*I bought this tape on my own.
blue vs. green

I was surprised at how dramatic the difference was. First, the blue tape:

and the Frog Tape:

Neither was absolutely perfect, but I must say that the Frog Tape leapt away with the win! Even when pulling the tape off of the wall, I could feel the difference in the Frog Tape's texture and hold on the wall.
 I'm still trying to find time to finish the details and the touch-ups, but here's a little preview of the striped walls:

Have you ever attempted stripes on your walls? What do you think of Frog Tape?

Kate@TwentySixToLife October 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Wow! What a difference! I've never used Frog Tape. I tried to get it at HD once but they told me the don't sell it anymore! Since Lowes is farther away from me I've never tried the wonders of the famous green frog tape. Maybe eventually though with results like that!

The stripes are so dramatic! Love it!

Kiley October 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Kasey! This looks great! I love the black and white stripes. Nice job.

Mrs. Kat October 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM

So I've tried the green and the yellow frog tape and I have to say that I was not impressed with either. I have the same crazy textured walls that builders in the Austin area love to apply to the walls and I've found that no tape can handle the cracks and crevices!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 6, 2010 at 10:21 AM

@Mrs. Kat~ Hmm, I bet my little experiment worked better because I recently de-textured and floated my walls.

Jess October 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I haven't had luck with frog tape. I found it didn't adhere well to the wall and kept peeling up, rendering it useless in masking an area. Maybe I just got a bad batch... :(

Meg October 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Love, love, love!!!!! Those black stripes are absolutely gorgeous!!

We painted horizontal stripes in our guest room and it was definitely time consuming. Kind of a headache, but totally worth it! One thing I did that really helped the frog tape work to its full potential was firmly run a credit card over the tape to seal it shut. That made it even more effective.

Can't wait for the full reveal! It's already stunning!!

Amanda October 6, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Wow, what a dramatic difference! That bathroom is going to be totally swank. I've never tried frog tape either but the blue tape has let me down before, so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Caroline,  October 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Wow, they look great. I painted stripes in our living room a couple years ago, before I had even heard of frog tape:(. But I do have a recommendation on how to make laying out the stripes much easier. I would measure the width. At the very bottom of the wall and mark it, and then have my husband hold a laser level at the bottom of the wall, and then I could then follow the laser line all the way down with the tape. Way easier than measuring and penciling out your lines. Just a thought for if yu ever do stripes again

Kelly Michelle October 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

wow what a difference. great stripes! I was wondering how that frog tape worked. thanks for the comparison. very educational

tellerallaboutit October 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Yes, I have painted stripes! Wow, it's a TON of work, but I think it is sooooooo worth it! I didn't use the frog tape, but I did use glaze (you can read about it here http://tellerallaboutit.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/earning-our-stripes/). I have textured walls (more textured than yours even), but I admit the next painting project I tackle will be with Frog tape! I've heard so many good things.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno October 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Wow, the stripes look so good! I agree that frog tape is superior for this purpose, I've had good success with it for some short-lived stripes in my house.

Flavia @ Estilo Home October 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Ooh, it's looking good!! Interesting that there was such a difference between the two tapes. Too bad I just purchased more of the blue stuff for my next painting project (luckily it's nothing intricate, so it should be fine). Good to know though!

savvy_homegirl October 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I never thought I'd be so excited about tape!!! And Frog Tape at that!!

I'm planning to stripe my craft room. Yes, the room I am possibly never going to finish. I bought the tape and paint last winter and I bought Frog Tape. Awesome post! Bathroom looks great too!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic October 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I don't know if my place was too humid, but when I used Frog Tape, it didn't really stick very strongly. I will definitely try it again in light of your results, though!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty October 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I love how you compared the two side by side! In my stripe painting, I have also been a huge frog tape fan. It makes such a difference!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

@Jeannine~ I noticed that mine would bubble up a bit if I left it on the wall for too long, but it was fine once I gave it a firm smoothing out.

Ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com October 7, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Frog Tape is AMAZING! And if you send them your comments, they'll mail you a free lime green frog tape tshirt! i love the shirt!

Anonymous,  October 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Those stripes are too dark/bold. Don't you feel you're in a zoo or something?

Livinia Redlips October 7, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Wrong! Those stripes are seriously stylin - great work!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 7, 2010 at 6:11 PM

@anonymous~ What can I say? Go bold or go home...

Shannon October 8, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I totally LOVE Frog Tape! It's tough to find...always out of stock! BUT SO worth looking around for it and paying the hefty price tag. Makes MUCH better stripes (and geometric patterns too).
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca

Stephanie October 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Nice job!

I just painted stripes in my master bedroom closet a couple of weeks ago. But I used the Scotch blue painters tape and got great results. There was no bleeding and I didn't have to do any touch ups.

Autumn @ Fall For Design October 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

We used Frog Tape. We prefer the blue masking tape. The Frog tape actually caused the paint to bleed under neath the tape while the blue masking tape kept the paint in place.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner October 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Wow, those are some dramatic stripes! They look really good. I wish I could make adventurous design choices like that -- they always look so good when other people do them! :)

Stacy H,  October 12, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I have found that the frog tape is the best for texture walls; however, you have to make sure you rub the tape into the crevices. The chemical used by the frog tape helps seal even better.
For (completely) flat walls and trims, the blue stuff is good value for price.
Neat side-by-side.

David W,  March 18, 2011 at 4:21 PM

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS PRODUCT!!!
I used this Frog Tape and it ruined the finish of my kitchen cabinet. Read the fine print on the inside of the tape roll: they don't take any responsibility for their product when it ruins your property. It msy prevent paint from seeping along an edge, but my experience is that it does not perfrom as advertised and may very well ruin your surface. Buyer Beware!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM

@David W~ Thanks for the honest feedback! Luckily, I haven't had any problems with it yet.