The Yard Project (Part 1)

>> 10.27.2010

Some of you sure know your tools!
Hers: a rented carpet cleaning machine (totally not a blog-worthy task)
His: a rented tiller to prep the yard for sod (woo-hoo!)

While I was inside taking care of the carpet, Nate prepped our yard for new sod (along with a new path and paver patio). Because of the lot that my home is on, I have a unique side yard with views of a greenbelt and tons of privacy. I really want to play up this feature for the future buyers so deciding to invest in the yard was a no-brainer.

If you stood back really far and squinted, the yard might not have looked all that bad, but it was 100% weeds in reality. Sod became the obvious solution once we did a little research on growing grass in our region, but to minimize the water usage necessary, we included a good amount of xeriscaping in our plan. Before:

Okay from far away:

Horrible close up:

The tilled yard:

Laying the sod:

I love the instant gratification! Nate tilled on Tuesday of last week, we prepped the yard Wednesday-Friday after work then on Saturday we did about five hours of work laying it and ta-da:

Stay tuned for the upcoming pathway, patio, and flower bed projects!

PS I have to give props to Nate's problem solving skills. We had no clue how we were going to get the tiller out of the Home Depot truck (because I have the strength of a two-year-old), but he realized we could just back up the truck to a ledge of a nearby park and use it as a ramp. Clever!

Amanda October 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Woo hoo for new grass! That brings back so many memories... oh yeah, so that was like a month ago that I did the same thing (tilling, new grass, etc.) but still. I'm just glad it's over and I'm sure you guys are too! It's a really good idea to play up the yard- especially on a small house, it's nice to extend your living space into the great outdoors. The new sod looks awesome!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty October 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM

That looks awesome! I love the instant gratification of sod....it makes all the hard work really satisfying!

Kate@TwentySixToLife October 28, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Sod always looks so great. Awesome job!

Graham at Chadwell Chronicles October 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

We have thought about putting down sod in our back yard, but haven't been able (or haven't tried very hard yet) to find a supplier. Where'd you find it? What kind of prices did you see?

Mrs. Chic October 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM

The sod looks great!! Love how it can transform dirt in a instant! Our sod in our front year is over a year old and still looks great - requires so little care

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 28, 2010 at 1:42 PM

@Graham~ It was actually really easy to find sod in my area via google search. I've noticed that a lot of dealers post on Craigslist so that might get you started. Once we found ours, we did a quick Yelp check and ordered it for next day delivery. The actual sod costs were: $85 for delivery and $100 per 450 square foot pallet of St. Augustine. Almost all of the companies in town were within a $10 range.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner November 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Yay for sod and instant gratification! AND, it's a great workout! :)
Good job!