Black and White... and Black

>> 11.08.2010

I tried to stay out on that yellow ledge, but I guess my unadventurous side took over again.

The half bath mirror is now black:

(before)

For now, I think I'll just stick to using other accessories to inject a bit of color into the space.

Oh, and to the anonymous comments asking if "I feel like I'm in a zoo" or "in jail." Eh, not really. I think I feel more like I'm in the one bold room in the house- the room that happens to be the smallest and easiest to change. When doing this room redo I knew that I needed to accomplish two things: re-texture the walls and replace the ugly light fixture. While I was at it, I decided this would be as good of time as any to try out stripes for the first time. PS I still love you, anonymous commenters! I leave up the anonymous option in the comments so that I can continue to receive honest feedback from readers without blogs. Plus, you're way cooler than the spammers that seem to be attacking in full force lately.

So, thoughts on the black?

AJDerby November 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I think this is great. I thought it was a little crazy at first, but you're right, it's a small space, an easy re-do, and you need somewhere to let some creativity out.

My crazy is going to come out in the form of a copper wall in my craft room. Can't wait to see how that comes out.

Amanda @ Tall Glass of Water November 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I love boldness small bathrooms. The stripes rule!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic November 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I like the black A LOT.

I can't believe some wimp is posting negative comments anonymously. Own your opinion, Ms. Anonymous!

Amanda November 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I still like the yellow. But I trust that you'll bring it back with accessories, so the black mirror can stay. :-)

Liz November 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I like the black frame, it looks a little more grown up.

That said, I'm thinking of doing my guest bedroom in black, white, and yellow, and hoping it won't look too chaotic or stressful. Do you have any other tips for that color scheme?

(If you're interested I put together a little mood board here: http://justabouthome.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/guest-bedroom-blues/ )

Kerry November 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I'm loving the black frame as well. I like how the edges kind of blend into the stripes. I think it looks great and would be the perfect space to inject some colour with other accessories like you said.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM

@Liz~ I think my problem came down to two main issues: the yellow wasn't the right shade (too light?) and the frame was too thin to be next to think stripes. I hope to make a big comeback with maybe a yellow towel or artwork...

Elisa @ What the Vita November 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I like the black mirror better - looks great!

Some yellow vases for putting bathroom stuff in would be pretty, too.

Flavia @ Estilo Home November 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I like it! Just the pops of colors in accessories will be great!

Jamie Lee November 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I like the black and white a lot. I think that with a few accessories to add some pops of color, the bathroom will be fabulous.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner November 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM

The black mirror definitely doesn't make a statement like the yellow did. But I can't blame you for changing it back, seeing as how I often pick the "safe" design choices myself! I still wouldn't be bold enough to do black & white stripes though, so kudos to you for that!

Ingrid@morestylethancash November 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I thought the yellow was too pale but I kinda wanted you do still do something wild. The black is nice.....would be interesting to put gold in there, or would that be too Las Vegas?

laura @ so alaurable November 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I like the stripes! I do like the yellow better, but I see in your comment why you painted it black. This way it will be fun to switch out accessories. Turquoise one day, hot pink the next!

LizzieBeth November 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I like the black better. I think your accessories need to make a statement, not a mirror, and NOT in that small of a space.

Good choice lady :)

Life in Rehab November 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I LOVE the bold stripes (I'm not a conservative person at all though), but I think I would have hung onto the yellow mirror. Don't get me wrong, the black looks awesome; I'm just partial to a surprise of color. Nice job though.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Silly anonymous commenter! It looks pretty cool in there now!

rivka November 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Oh wow I hope you don't think I'm a spammer! I love your blog and have it bookmarked! I gave the jail comment but you -did- ask for honest opinions. I think the black frame and accessories makes the whole effect really elegant. maybe it was the yellow that gave it a weird look...to me only I guess. kudos to you for being bold and trying new things!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM

@Rivka~ I wasn't being sarcastic about loving any and all comments. The best thing about being a blogger is that I'm able to get great advice and feedback for free!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode November 12, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Really like how the black looks. However, I think both ways worked. But I think I agree with you that the mirror frame would have worked better in yellow if it was a chunkier frame. It'll still be fun to have small splashes of yellow if you choose.

Livinia Redlips November 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I like the black frame better.

Know what I think would look fab? A frameless mirror hung on a ribbon in an oval shape.

Like this...but oval (or a scalloped edge oval): http://img4.realsimple.com/images/home-organizing/decorating/0605/hanging-mirror-2_300.jpg

I bought one at Target for like 30 bucks...

Bargain Princess November 18, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I'm your newest follower... because I love the black and the yellow is so unpredictable and unpretentious YAY!! =)
I'd love to have you follow me and hear your suggestions.
www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com