Confused

>> 11.09.2010

I'm beginning to get a little confused.

It's not about the appearance of holiday decorations in the beginning of October...

and it's not about the home shopping networks pumping out holiday cheer for three solid months.

It's all of the early promotions and sales that are throwing me off of my holiday savings game.

As the retail market became more desperate over the past few years, their sales have begun earlier and earlier.If they want to win your money, they try to do it early on. But with the Black Friday sale prices that begin three weeks early and emails offering discount coupons similar to post-holiday clearance prices, is anything even "full priced" anymore? I know to expect some sort of discount when doing my holiday shopping, but it's hard to predict how low they'll really go.

What trends are you seeing in holiday sales?
When do you plan to do your shopping?

Jeannine @ Small and Chic November 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Everyone now gets "Friends and Family" cards/emails. Back when I worked at Banana Republic (the grad school years), each employee was giving a handful of Friends and Family cards to give to their...friends and family. The Friends and Family Sale was for a specific time (about four hours on a Thursday evening, maybe) and the store was full of people we knew. We all worked the sale because it was fun!

After I left that job, girls I knew on staff would save a card for me so I could go and catch up.

Now, everyone on a store's mailing list gets the Friends and Family discount and it lasts for days. It took something that was fun and small to a big sale that is probably a crazy time for the staff.

I don't object to getting coupons, but it just cheapened to whole tradition of the Friends and Family event.

LizzieBeth November 9, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I concur wholeheartedly! What amazed me was when a group of stores (Walmart, Target, Sears, and someone else) decided that the
"NEW" Black Friday was October 29th.

Just today I heard that Walmart was threatening Target to lower their prices even more. Go ahead guys, but I'm still going to shop on Amazon, cause they are cheaper (and i don't have to deal with Walmart customers ;)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

@Jeannine~ Oh, I remember those days when F&F was a giant discount! Gap brand stores are really out of control now. With my Gap card and all of the coupon codes they send me (a few each week), there's no reason why I should pay any more than 60% of retail.

The Brick Cottage November 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Jeannine, I know what you mean about F&F. I used to work for Macy's and F&F was such a big deal. We'd all receive about 10 coupons (and no more!) to give out to the people we wanted. When I resigned, customers were coming into the store during the event and demanding that they receive the coupon/discount. It definitely took the fun out of it and no longer felt special.

Kasey, did you catch any of that madness on Lowe's Facebook page over the weekend? They were giving away 90% off coupons and the comments from the "fans" were insane (for example, they were going to call corporate and complain because the servers kept crashing or how they were going to shop at the competitors because it wasn't fair they weren't winning any coupons). I can only imagine what it's going to be like on Black Friday (and it's not a pretty site).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog November 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

@The Brick Cottage~ Yeesh! I learned through the Cash for Appliances program that mobs of people trying to save money can be nasty over the internet. Honestly, I think internet shoppers are worse than the ones in the store!

Angela November 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware and lots of other retail stores start there after Christmas sales two days before Christmas. I get a lot of sleep the 22, get out early the 23 and get some amazing deals!

Devon November 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I work retail...for a local chain of pet supply stores. I love the company, but we're decorating for the holidays on Thursday. What happened to Thanksgiving? And we have Friends and Family nights, where we can invite as many people as we want and anyone in the store at the time gets the discount. Oh, and all of our holiday gear goes on sale two weeks before Christmas. Is this normal, and I just missed something? I miss when the holidays were about warm fuzzies, instead of cold cash...

Kate@TwentySixToLife November 10, 2010 at 8:51 AM

My Home Depot had Christmas stuff set up in September, it was ridiculous. I do most (I strive for all!) of my holiday shopping online. I just don't like all the crazy holiday crowds so I avoid it if I can.

cheryl November 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I totally agree with all you guys! What happened to Thanksgiving and the happy anticipation leading up to Christmas?! Thanksgiving disappeared all together this year and Christmas took over on Oct. 31st. Never mind Halloween was just getting finished. I'm sorry but I'm a traditionalist and I like my Black Friday on the day after Thanksgiving. Not the day of Thanksgiving not a month before. AFTER! lol. I say poo poo to the commericalism. I love your blog by the way:D Cheers!

Cheryl@My Own Snug Fireside

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Im just ordering crap on Amazon this year - with the great prices and free super saver shipping, there is no reason to go to stores anymore!

Brooke Anna November 28, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I happened to score $564 worth of clothes for $178 (for my kiddos) yesterday! GREAT Bargain... with presents being accumulated.