Big DIY vs. Small DIY

>> 12.09.2010

I decided to make stockings this year. I wanted to have a cute coordinating theme with a bit of each of our personal styles and decided that I'd save some money by going DIY with the project.

After a several hours of hand stitching and carefully trimming my felt masterpieces, I realized that there's quite a difference between doing big DIY and small DIY projects.

DIY projects usually:
*save money
*allow for personalization
*provide a sense of accomplishment

Just like my Christmas stocking project, when I've done my own demolition, retextured my own walls, or reshaped my own landscape I've done all of the above, but on a much different scale. That "sense of accomplishment" sure takes a hit once the neighbors aren't able to notice my personal touches and my bank account shows that I've saved $15 rather than $1,500.

Still, with as small as those DIY perks are, I *think* throwing in a few of these mini craft projects are worth it every once in a while (especially if it means that I don't have to worry about making my walls fall down). Hopefully I'll be back with the finished projects next week for Kim's Dare to DIY party!

PS. Here's a picture of the bones of my felt flower for those of you who are into that type of thing:
(I'm not really into pattern making or templates so I just cut it freehand)

Are you more into the big or small DIY projects?

Jennifer December 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I think a little of both? =) I'd probably consider the upholstered bench the hubs and I made big and the rest of my main projects small... though they never quite seem small b/c there's so many half-finished projects around the house. I should really get around to those =)

xoXOxo

I love the stockings!!! so pretty!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Mrs. Chic December 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

For me it depends on the project, I love home diy projects!! Some crafty / sewing projects take me forever to complete..

I'm making stockings this year too!! Yours look cute - I love the flower :)

waldobungie December 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I love those stockings! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Meg December 9, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Those stockings are adorable!!! I am majorly impressed by your cute argyle and flower designs. You are so talented!

I like the combo. It's such a sacrifice to do big DIY projects on the weekends after a long week of work, but the payoff is so worth it. On the other hand, small diy projects can be more fun and feel more like craft projects.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I really like the flower you made. Very cute! Can't wait to see it all come together. And thanks for the shoutout for the blog party.

As for DIY, I tend to err on the side of small projects. Hubby tackles big projects. But, sometimes I go bigger, too. I'm mostly impatient, so small projects are better.

Kate@TwentySixToLife December 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Very cute stockings! I'm not really crafty, so I guess I'm a "big" DIY project girl. Maybe someday I'll invest in a glue gun and really learn how to sew so I can tackle some smaller projects ;)

Lemondrop Marie December 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I can only accomplish very small projects and still keep the house in somewhat running order. I love the stockings and I would wear that little flower on my jacket it's so cute!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge