Creating a Decomposed Granite Path

>> 12.07.2010

The nice thing about living in Texas is that we're able to spend time working outdoors during every season. The 80 degree temperatures that pop up every few weeks in December are actually perfect for yard work... if only the daylight lasted longer, creating this decomposed granite* path wouldn't have taken so long!

*I've been calling it "crushed granite" but later found out that there is a difference between crushed and decomposed- the decomposed stuff is in finer pieces (I think).

A quick rundown on how we got here:
1. Nate dug trenches and installed the recycled edging along our path site.
2. We dug (f-o-r-e-v-e-r)/ shoveled/ dumped the ground within the path area until the depth reached at least four inches.
3. I put down and stapled weed blocking fabric along the path route (I made sure to leave the fabric loose to account for the pressure of people walking along the path).

4. The easiest part was actually laying out the granite! We worked in one inch layers- we raked out an inch of granite at a time then 5. watered and 6. tamped 7. repeat!

In all, we used one inch of granite sand to help with drainage then 3-4 inches of decomposed granite. After hours of searching the internet for complete instructions on this project, I was left without a clear requirement for number of inches of granite to lay. Thankfully, Nate came up with the idea to ask the granite suppliers what they recommended for our area and came up with the solution.

Before:

Now:

There's still a lot of work to do on the yard plan: clear and plant the beds, create paver patio (where large mound of dirt is), and add camouflage around the compost and A/C unit. Who knows, maybe we'll finally have that backyard oasis by spring...

The Brick Cottage December 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I'm so jealous of your 80 degree weather! Your backyard plan is really starting to come together! I can't wait to see your backyard oasis!

LizzieBeth December 7, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I too, am crazy jealous of your warm temps. Currently, my iGoogle is telling me it's 33 outside. Brr.

LOVE how the path looks! You guys did an awesome job.

Carly @ Honey and the Moon December 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I love working outside in the Texas "winters." Looks great! x

Jeannine @ Small and Chic December 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Geez! You two are rock stars for doing that work! That's amazing!

Amanda- Hip House Girl December 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Looks awesome! And I'm so utterly jealous that you can get stuff done on the yard in December. Not sure I would trade that for the skiing here, though. :-)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno December 7, 2010 at 7:33 PM

That looks great. I'm looking out our window at snow and ice. Blah. Kinda morbid that they must call it 'decomposed', huh?

Hilary December 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM

It's currently 10 degrees in Ohio, and I'm pretty jealous that you are out working in your yard! I'd love to be able to garden all year round.

threeacres December 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM

OK I'm going to pretend you didn't post about the temperature it can be in December in Texas and get to the pathway. Love it! I love the composite edging and how it looks all compacted down. Now you just need to get planting!

Lourdes December 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM

This is awesome! I'd love to do this someday...thanks for the post!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty December 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM

OK first I am super jealous of that weather. And next I am jealous of that oath. I can't imagine how much work it took, but the end result looks great! Nice job!