Face Paper and Glitter Felt

>> 12.13.2010

I'm daring to deck the halls today with my newly finished DIY felt stockings:

From the moment that I saw these picture frame stocking holders on clearance at Target last year, I knew what I wanted to do to cheese them up for the holidays...
A little fake mistletoe and a few hundred pictures later, we were ready to replace the "face paper" with our smoochy selves. Nate used Photoshop and the white border trick to size the pictures for the tiny frames and I trimmed the borders before popping them in place.

I originally thought to add our names to the stockings, but I feel like they represent our personalities enough to go without those details. (Obviously, he's all about argyle and I'm Miss Glitter Felt.)

And yes, we've hung our stockings on the EXPEDIT next to the tree. Sadly, our fireplace doesn't have a mantle... but, really, what's more festive than an IKEA bookshelf ;)?

Do you hang your stocking in an unexpected place?

ETA: I almost forgot to do a budget breakdown:
Red glitter, red, and white felt- $6.50 (50% off at JoAnn's and plenty left over)
Silver and white embroidery floss- $2 (40% off at Michael's)
4x6 prints from CVS- $2 (1-hour)
Frame stocking holders- $5 (2009 Target clearance)
Total: $15.50 for both

Jennifer December 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I do! funny you asked that! Right now ours are hung in a rental house... so I was trying to work with what I had...

umm.. yeah they are def hanging from the knobs of the entryway double closet. so cheesy. but I get to see them when I walk in the door every da so that's kind of exciting! =) hehe

love the little stocking holders! and those pictures are adorable =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Amanda @ Tall Glass of Water December 13, 2010 at 11:31 AM

That's a cute idea! I wonder if they are on sale at my Target. We don't have stockings up yet but whenever I get to that I will probably hang them off my big kitchen Expedit :)

Michael - Innkeeper December 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM

very cute!

love the choice of photos! perfect!

visiting from newlywoodwards.

Kristen December 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I love your stockings! We would hang ours just on the wall... we had no railing, no fireplace & no mantle. When I was in 8th grade I made everyone a red velvet stocking & filled them with homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Kristen
www.bingopajamaswhengoodthingshappen.blogspot.com

missarahlou December 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I love the photos of you two! Way too cute! And of course very creative. Your stockings turned out great, too! I don't have a stocking at all... but if I did I would have to be creative since I don't have a fireplace OR an Expedit shelf unit!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM

The photos of the two of you are ADORABLE. I love how you did that with the frames and mistletoe. So fun! Your stockings turned out really well. Love it all.

LizzieBeth December 13, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I LOVE the pictures! How adorable is that??

We do not have a mantle at all, so our stockings hang from our IKEA wall shelf. Horray for Swedish design!

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life December 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Those look soo cute! Love the photo's! We have no mantle either, so they get hung down the stair rail...

Lucky Girl December 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Super cute pictures! We hang our stockings from the railing on our staircase - not exactly unexpected though.