I'm Crazy (About Christmas)

>> 12.03.2010

Really, this post is 50% crazy and 50% Christmas.

You see, I have a bit of an obsessive compulsive way of decorating my home for the holidays. I must not buy anything new or full price... ever! Which basically means I have to plan for my needs an entire year ahead of time. Luckily, that also means I get to do a lot of fun Christmas clearance sales shopping and begin December with a load of "presents" for myself.

It's been a long decorating road, but I feel like I've finally collected a fair amount of holiday cheer...

2005- This box of silver ornaments from IKEA and a garage sale 3 foot tree were my only two pieces of decor.
2006- I found a 7 foot beauty on sale after Christmas... but only had a small box of ornaments to decorate it with. Oh, and not to mention the one strand of lights that I zig-zagged across the visible side of the tree.

2007- Additional lights and a tree skirt were the two big updates to the tree that year.
2008- I realized I "needed" more ornaments and added a few gold stars into the mix.
2009- This was the year of the blogging... I did a little diy action to add some extra sparkle, but went a little green with envy when I saw the amazing ideas on the web. Going into holiday clearance time, I was ready to spring into action and bought a whole mess of ornaments and decoration (adding red into my silver and gold theme):

Oh, and I FINALLY got one of those extension cords that you can tap on and off without reaching around the tree:

I wouldn't be crazy Christmas clearance lady without saving away my receipt with the ornaments. Let me repeat: I pack my receipt with the ornaments on purpose so that I can review it the next year (crazy!).
I'm like Dexter with one of his trophies.

This is the first year that Christmas is doing a little spreading in the home. I actually had enough extra ornaments to add a centerpiece on top of the new beaded runner:

Hugo even got into the spirit by dressing as a snowman:

(kidding- I got distracted while taking a picture of the new advent calendar)

Before I forget, here's the new red, silver, and gold tree (next to the old, ugly and 80's door):

*See last year's tree here.

How do you buy your decorations? Do you plan ahead or go out and buy as you wish?

Mrs. Chic December 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I so stock up after the holidays too! But I also buy new ornaments if I see something that catches my eye - your tree looks great the tree skirt is pretty! love all its detail

The Brick Cottage December 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Comparing your thrifty trophies to Dexter made me chuckle! And Hugo is too cute! I love red, silver and gold trees (in fact that's what mine is, too). I've tried to hit the sales after Christmas but always miss out on the great deals. I purchase a few things here and there over the years. This year, I spent $6 on some red garland beads to add to the tree.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic December 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I'm the same way! I'm always buying ornaments between Christmas and New Years. I love opening my boxes to see what I have, since I usually forget about the new purchases. :)

Meg December 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Your tree was cute last year and those red ornaments absolutely made it pop! I love it all! Totally digging the tree skirt, advent calendar, beaded runner and display of extra ornaments. I bow down to you, Christmas clearance Target lady!

Carly @ Honey and the Moon December 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I love the pops of red this year. They're perfect! And I love your tree skirt too.

I buy Christmas decor after Christmas too. I might make a few small purchases during Christmas, but I don't like paying full price. Can't wait to hit up the after Christmas sales. I also take generous donations from family who is getting rid of decor they no longer use ;)

x

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Everything looks so pretty. I really like the beaded runner.

I'm a little (okay, a lot) excessive about Christmas. But, in my defense, I bought TONS of stuff after Chrsitmas in 2006 for our 2007 holiday wedding. Much of the basic stuff is from that. Then, I just add to it every day-after-Christmas. I need to stop adding. I"m at the max.

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life December 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I love that tree skirt!

There is nothing like hitting up the Christmas decor bargains- I however usually end up buying as I go along, because I get nervous that it won't be there when he gets on a mega sale after the season is passed! I need to learn patience!

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life December 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I love that tree skirt!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d December 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I do a little of both. I buy tons on clearance, but I also splurge a little when the new stuff comes out. I also make a lot of decorations. Or, I buy cheap things right before Christmas, like ball ornaments to make this wreath.

Lisa December 7, 2010 at 6:23 AM

Goodwill is my source for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc. I have found great stuff there.

Jennifer December 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Such pretty decorations! Your tree looks absolutely gorgeous =)

omg and where is the snowflake bead runner from? or did you make it? regardless its fabulous!!!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog December 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

@Jennifer~ Thanks! I got it at Target last year.

Yvette December 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM

We have an eclectic tree, nothing matches. But oh the memories it has! Every year since my first Christmas my grandma would buy me an ornament from Hallmark. She would try to find an ornament that pertained to some even that happened that year/an interest of mine. We have some of my husband's ornaments that were created by his great aunt. We also have a lot of my grandma's old ornaments, which conjure up so many fond memories. Every vacation we take we buy an ornament for the tree. Those are a blast to find! We also have lots of vintage shiney-brites that I have found at antique stores. A lot of the decorations (there's a ton!) in our home are like our tree, memory-laden hand-me-downs or purchased white someplace special. We have so much fun decorating that I love to post photos of them on my blog.