Déjà vu

>> 1.20.2011

I can't believe that I'm back here again, but I just happen to have another money saving story related to boring home repair. Remember that water damage cause by the now fixed roof?

If you look closely, you can see the chaos inside the house created by my trim painting project. For the record, priming and painting the trim in the entire house has taken 3x as long as I thought it would!

The rotted out board was obviously affected, but my back porch area was actually in need of a good bit of siding and soffit repair because of the leak. Because of the nature of the repair, I wasn't willing to touch it with a ten foot pole. Instead, I called a local siding company and they had it fixed within the week:
I'm obviously doing the paint repair to save a few extra bucks.

When the estimate came back at $365, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the number, but it was less than the $500 I was expecting them to come back with. Plus, I didn't really want to drive back and forth from work to my house to get more bids so I decided to go ahead and hire that company. Instead of telling them my thought process, I went ahead and tried to see if there was any extra money to be saved:

"Thanks for getting back to me with the estimate on my siding and soffit repairs. Unfortunately, we're looking to get closer to $300 on this project. Let me know if you have any ideas to reduce the bid." ~taken from my actual email

Magically, the cost lowered by $20. I know, that's not a ton of money, but it's something! Just imagine how long it would take to clip $20 worth of grocery coupons... spending two minutes typing out a question to save $20 isn't so shabby!

Kate@TwentySixToLife January 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM

It never hurts to ask! And $20 is still $20!

Jennifer January 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Hey that $20 can go towards the paint!!!

Hilary @ My So-Called Home January 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hey to me $20 is a weeks worth of Starbucks! It's always a good thing to just ask.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards January 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM

That's a great reminder to me. We were going to have someone finish the kitchen drywall since Ryan will be traveling and they came in almost 3 times more than what we expected. We need to go back to him and talk.

Ron January 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Kasey, like your blog... You need to install what's called kickout flashing on the roof in the spot where the damage was. The water from the roof basically just runs down that roof/wall intersection and then runs down the face of the siding and trim underneath it. Keeping it wet and eventually rotting it.

A kickout flashing is basically just a pieace of metal that is bent away from the siding at the end of the intersection att the roof edge. The water running down the roof/wall intersection hits it and the water is "kicked out" away from the lower siding.

Here is a link that shows what it looks like:

Just google "kickout flashing" and you'll get lots of examples.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

@Ron~ Thanks for the tip; I'll look into that!