Door Dilemma Decision

>> 1.28.2011

*Sorry about that title, I have a thing for alliteration.

I received a lot of great advice on my sliding glass door dilemma last month... so much so that it took me a while to come up with a decision. If you don't remember, I was trying to decide whether to replace my 1980's sliding door with a nicer (more expensive) set of french doors or go with a standard in-stock sliding door. After considering all of your points, I decided to go from this:

2009

to this:
I think I'll paint the new wood trim white for a more substantial looking frame.

Honestly, anything would have been an improvement! The reason why I decided not to splurge on the nicer door was because I started to feel like I wouldn't get my money back out of the purchase. I already have upgraded granite countertops in the kitchen, wood floors in the living areas, and a nice tub in the bathroom so it was about time to go with a moderately priced option to balance things out.

Even though this was a cheaper(ish: $900) choice, I think the change you feel in the room makes a world of a difference. The modern glass lets in a lot more light while sealing out the draft and the fresh, white look cleans up the look of the space.

This was never intended to be a blog picture, but it's the only one I could find with a picture of the sliding door from the inside during the day:

And after:

Trust me, the difference is amazing in person!

A few additional thoughts:
1. Yes, I know about the 2010 energy rebate program; this door would not have qualified, but is barely out of range and costs less than my alternative -rebate.
2. Yes, I could have saved a ton of money if I didn't pay for install, but I have no idea how to install doors and I hear that they can be pretty tricky. It was worth the extra money not to deal with those issues.
3. This is an example of "the extra."
4. I saved an additional $75 by using one of those Lowe's moving coupons (Google it), but made the purchase the day I found out my credit card is having triple points in February (boo!).
5. I skipped the screen doors because: a. my dogs walk/ run into them b. it saved me money c. I think it brightens the room up more

How do you feel about adding curtains around sliding doors? I'm thinking it might balance out my room a bit. Thoughts?

kim January 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I'd probably do curtains so you'd have a balanced look around the fireplace.

Also - I love that you've got Suze Orman on in the background! Too funny in a "thrifty little blog!"

Loribeth January 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I have no doubt that changing it has made a HUGE difference. We painted the trim of our living room windows white, and visually, it just made the room seem bright and lighter. Plus it gave the illusion that our windows were larger--big plus there!

You're new slider looks great!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM

@Kim~ I know, I promise everything I do/ watch isn't about saving money :).

@Loribeth~ Thanks!

Melissa January 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Love the new door! And I like your idea to paint the outside trim white. Curtains would look great... hang them high and wide, and it'll make that door look even bigger!

Kelly Michelle January 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

wow that does look really great. it fits the room well and looks so much sleeker, I think some sheer curtains would do it justice.

LizzieBeth January 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

1. You are so right, it make a HUGE difference! Totally fantastic.

2. I'm down with some sheer curtains. If you aren't worried about privacy, I would do something sheer so the light still comes in. I don't like a slider by itself-- it looks nekked.

3. Of course you would be watching Susie Orman <3

Heather @ REOlisticRenovation January 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Big difference. Awesome choice! I love that picture on your wall too.

Deborah January 29, 2011 at 8:26 AM

That new door looks great!

I'm all over wood drops and white sheers. That's what I'm going to be doing in my new addition. Along with white trim.

Your house is so cute and I love checking our your progress.

Hilary @ My So-Called Home January 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Love the slider and definitely think it needs some drapes. Can people see in from beyond the slider or is it pretty private? If it's private, I wouldn't even worry about curtains for privacy but rather for looks to soften up the wall. Nice job!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 29, 2011 at 8:51 PM

@Hilary~ I'm on a hill above a creek so it's really private... I thought adding window treatments might balance the room better?

Amanda- Hip House Girl January 31, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I think it's funny that we both have alliteration posts today (mine is a little more obnoxious though).

I think you made the right choice (the slider was my vote when you first posted). They look really nice. Good call skipping the screens, too. I do think some curtains (same height as the ones on the window) would balance the room nicely.

Kate@TwentySixToLife January 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Great choice :) I like the idea of curtains too. I just put some up in my kitchen over one of our sliding doors and it made a huge difference. The room looks super-tall now.

Liz January 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM

It looks great!
Yes! Add curtains-- yellow? grey with a cool pattern? Looks like a corner that could use a fun injection of color!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards January 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Looks so nice - really brightens it up.

Have I seen your living room before? I'm inspired by your furniture placement. Ryan and I have been goign back and forth on placement in the new house because the tv will be to the right of the fireplace and we want the fireplace to be the main focus.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM

@kim~ I guess I don't show a wide angle too often. Because of the couch, we really only had that one spot to put the TV in. So far, I'm happy.

3 door wardrobe May 23, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Love the new door! And I like your idea to paint the outside trim white!