On Priorities

>> 1.18.2011

As I wrote about prioritizing yesterday on my wedding blog, I couldn't help but let my brain drift back towards my current obsession: houses.

Waaay before "wedding brain" (or Nate) even came into the equation, my brain was fixated on houses. I've even acknowledged it several times over the past few months saying, "I'm so glad that I started down the house path before I walked down the aisle." Now, as I plan our wedding, I can't help but imagine how each penny could go towards improvements in my own home or a down payment on the future "forever" home. If there's anything that will help a person pinch pennies on a purchase, it's having their mind stuck on wanting something else... and boy, do I ever have "house brain!"

So, there I was last night all proud of myself for putting my priorities in the right places and having the sense to put tens of thousands into a mortgage over funneling it into a wedding when I realized that there are other things in life that could possibly be worth prioritizing over a house and a wedding. For instance, I do know a couple of people my age with "retirement brain." They're the types who scrimp, save, and work like crazy now so that they can retire as early as possible. I'm on track to retire comfortably at an average age, but will I wish later on that I had invested more of that wedding or house budget to live the easy life ten years earlier? I don't have it yet (I promise, Nate!), but what about those "baby brainers?" I'm sure I could have finished out a couple years worth of a college savings account by now if that's where I wanted to be.

Where are your $$$ priorities right now- do you have wedding, house, baby, retirement, education, or vacation brain?

Have you ever overly prioritized a life event and then missed the money spent later on?

Hil January 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

It is always easy to look back and say "I could have spent that money on this." I think saving is great and important, but sometimes you do have to live for the moment and spend money on something fun and special, (within reason of course).

By the way, I am your newest follower. Come over and see my new blog.

LizzieBeth January 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

When we first started to plan our wedding, the first thing we cut out was a honeymoon.

As much as we would have liked to have gone somewhere tropical after the wedding, we decided to save that money for a house instead.

At this point, we might get to take a tropical vacation in two years, but I don't care. I'm so excited to be the first of my siblings to purchase a home!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 18, 2011 at 2:27 PM

@LizzieBeth~ We're not touching the honeymoon! We've never been on a real vacation together so it's about time... I'll cut on the dress, flowers, etc instead :).

Trish January 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM

In the past 4 years I've gotten married, vacationed and bought a home. Now that I've been through it all, I would definitely cut from the wedding. I know many would disagree.

We spent a pretty penny on our big day and it was a beautiful day. But, it's just one day that goes by so fast and is such a blur. The time we've spent as a couple on vacation, fixing up our home, and just enjoying our life together is priceless.

RJ @ A Life Designed January 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I agree with Trish above! In the past 16 months we bought a house, got married, went on a {North American} honeymoon, a few other close-to-home trips and are expecting a baby next week.

We have savings accounts for retirement and vacations, and will start a future-education account for baby within the year, but I wish we could go back and have a smaller/lower-budget wedding {and we by no means spent ridiculous amounts on what we did do!}. We'd have put the money towards a European honeymoon instead, because now it'll optimistically be at least 5 years before we get there.

Liz January 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I just was thinking (and blogging: http://justabouthome.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/setting-priorities/) about financial priorities too. Right now it's vacation, house, saving. Wedding is already done and paid for.
I think there are lots of ways to save on weddings if you go DIY--which I bet you're not afraid of!

Rhona January 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Right now I am fixated on a condo myself. I am working like mad to buy my own place and travel. Retirement is on track...I just wanna have some fun before it is too late.

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess January 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Same wavelength here! (Except that we already had our wedding, which we kept small -- super small, actually -- so that we could make it nice but still keep the cost way down. Check that out here. We have never once regretted going small. It was amazing!)

But now we're in house brain mode in a big way! After that, I suspect we will shift into retirement mode immediately, because we don't want to have to work a day longer than we have to.

I applaud you for putting longer term priorities at the top of your list, instead of having everything fall behind a single -- albeit important -- day.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner January 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM

We definitely don't have baby brain right now, but we do have basement brain! A lot of our money in the next few months is going to go toward finishing it. Unfortunately, there's no vacation brain anytime in the near future. :(

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards January 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM

hmmm... can I say all of the above? Probably house first, and then retirement at an earlier age. We'll see how it all pans out.

Ann Porteous January 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I am so vacation brian right now! The wedding, house, kids are all come and we are muddling through, we did have a great wedding and was able to pay for it all on the spot, honeymoon cruise to S Carribean was WONDERFUL, and now the house in the suburbs and two kids later I am really wanting a VACATION! We have college savings and retirement plans going but we have not been able to shift a lot of the money flow to those since we are now a one income home. I do not think I would change a thing. the only change is to have more time to plan and save on a vacation for the whole family. :)
I know we will get one this SUMMER!