Progress and Promises

>> 1.03.2011

Happy New Year everyone! Nate and I continued our tradition of waking up to watch the sunrise on January 1st and I must say that we were not disappointed at the view over Town Lake Lady Bird Lake.

I can't say that we're disappointed with our final DIY project of 2010 either:
See that orange area to the left of the path? It's the new decomposed granite patio. It's funny how quickly projects like that one can get done when you get a new fire pit for Christmas :). We were originally going to go with a paver patio in that area for a little extra visual appeal and to make for easier clean-up, but we weighed out the cost and labor options ($350+ and many hours work from us) and decided that a simple granite patio area would be fine.

We're really moving along compared to the before:

As for the "promises" portion of this post, I wanted to share my resolution for the next year:

I will completely finish one project before moving on to the next!

I've gotten into the bad habit of saying I'll get back to paint a touch-up or hang up a picture... and then never doing it (*cough* unpainted baseboards *cough*). For me, 2011 will be my year of finishing! As for those orange chairs above, they're waiting for their final coats of black spray paint (a paint that I bought for the project over SIX MONTHS ago) so that they can round out the new patio area. More progress posts to come!

Carly {Honey and the Moon} January 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Your yard looks great! Hope y'all had a great New Years! x

LizzieBeth January 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Good luck on your resolutions!

Amanda- Hip House Girl January 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

OK- not fair that you are posting about yard/patio projects in January. It was 14 degrees here yesterday!!

Jealousy aside, I'm excited for your resolution and I may try to half-assedly copy it.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner January 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Oh wow, your yard/patio is looking amazing! You're going to have so much fun with that fire pit! Great for entertaining.

I'm bad about moving onto other projects without finishing the previous ones, too, so I think that's a dandy resolution!

Elisa @ What the Vita January 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I second your resolution BIG TIME.

Anonymous,  January 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM

tudo bem? apreciei muito o teu blog, estás de parabéns!
Continua o bom trabalho

Sara @ Russet Street Reno January 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM

The yard is lookin NICE! I also have to stop starting new projects before the others are completed. It's so hard, though!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode January 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM

First, that decomposed granite patio looks great. We were about to install a paver patio last fall, but the work was just scary. Will have to ponder that granite idea.

Second, my resolution last year was to tackle one project at a time. :) I didn't do so well with it, but I'll try again this year!