Alternate Titles to Yesterday's Post

>> 2.11.2011

You've got to give me a little credit-- before I even started on my spiel  my big five lifestyle choices that save a ton of cash each month I did say:

AKA "Top Five Reasons Why You'd Probably Hate My Life"

I know my choices not to eat meat, drink alcohol, have a smart phone, take a lot of vacations, or spontaneously spend money are different, but I'm actually quite happy with them. A few of you were quite concerned about my boring life... that's probably my fault for not painting the big picture. Maybe I should have been a bit more clear in my title:

"The Lifestyle Choices I Love That Happen to Save a Ton of Cash"

or

"Lucky Me, I Don't Feel the Need to Make the Following Expensive Choices"

You might be bored by the lifestyle that I live, but I must say that I'm loving life. Let's take last night for example:

Nate, I'm sorry the heart for Tina is so much bigger... I swear I didn't mean to!

Yes, we might have a very strict routine of Thursday run/ pizza/ frozen yogurt/ TV (Office/ Parks and Rec/ 30 Rock) night, but I love and look forward to it all week! As you can see above, I don't totally cheapen out on everything- I love my DVR that lets me watch and fast forward shows, that $7 yogurt (yep, we spend $40+ on it each month) is always worth every penny to me. Oh, and that amazing everydaysuede couch from Pottery Barn outlet (normally $2,500 but I got it for $1,400) is one of my favorite all time splurges! I actually asked for my 21st birthday money to go towards a couch (I saved up for the difference) instead of a big party. What can I say, I've just never been that into drinking.

My weird spending habits started well before my 21st birthday. In fact, I remember being a penny-pincher as a kid. I would ask to no end for a TV in my bedroom and each time my parents would say that I could have one if I paid for it out of my own pocket. Having a TV was important to me, but never important enough to take the money out of the bank. So, in the end, I settled for using the TV in the living room... and had a hefty amount of cash ready to use for a car once I turned 16 :).

I might have different priorities, but it doesn't mean I'm missing out on anything! You might think the amount of money I spend on running shoes is a little crazy-- $100/ pair every three months.
I could have one amazing collection of designer shoes by now if I funneled all of that running shoe money into fancier ones, but it's just not where my heart's at. Would you believe that I actually cried a couple of years ago when a doctor told me that I would need to take three weeks off of exercise in order to recover from an illness? Again, it's not the normal way of thinking, but it's who I am.

And yes, Mr. (or Ms.) Anonymous from yesterday's post, if I am diagnosed with pancreatic cancer tomorrow I will look back and feel like I did make the most of each day with the resources I had (which again, aren't that much). I get to spend a ton of time with the people (and animals) I love while working towards goals that make me feel satisfied. I might be different and I might be "boring," but I'm pretty darn happy and proud of the way I live!

PS I don't write this blog in order to get anyone out there to live like I live. If I come across an interesting idea, I like to get it out there... but mostly, I just love connecting with a community interested in some of the same things that I'm interested in. Oh, and getting home decorating advice for free in the comments is the best!

When I do ask questions, I'm genuinely interested in reading your answers so keep the comments (negative or not) coming!

Hannah February 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

great post! I didn't comment on yesterday's so I didn't see all the craziness in the comments at first, but I think people often forget how much happiness comes from "doing exactly what you want to be doing." If you're not craving spontaneous travel to foreign lands at this exact moment, forcing yourself seems unnecessary. Someday you might want to, and since you didn't waste your cash today, you'll be able to go for it.

Overall, I think it's a bit presumptuous for folks to assume that the joy they might get from their iphone/steak/vacation is somehow "better" than the joy you get from running, or snuggling with your guy in front of the TV. It doesn't sound like you're at all cramped by your lifestyle so to those commentors I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM

@Hannah~ Aww, thanks! It's not broke so I think I just might not fix it :).

Cassandra Miles February 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I am always amazed at people who comment on other people's lives from a blog post -- or at all! Good on you for choosing what you love and standing by it.

Kate@TwentySixToLife February 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I just went back and read the comments from yesterday, and whoa was I surprised by what I read. I felt the same way as Tovah reading some of those comments, I felt offended for you.

You (and Nate) are making the most of what you have and prioritizing based on your own wants and needs, and you're doing a fantastic job while you're at it. Different things fulfill different people. It's all about what makes YOU happy (and prioritizing your spending accordingly).

And I hope you didn't take my comment about traveling and being more spontaneous the wrong way. I was only sharing my experience, I wasn't making a judgment call on your decisions. Keep up the great work. :-)

Audreya February 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Well said! I wrote a post a few weeks ago about when people say "I don't have time for XYZ" what they really mean is that XYZ is not a priority for me. And that's okay. Same thing here. You're not saying you can't afford XYZ, just that you prefer ABC. I enjoyed hearing that DVR and frozen yogurt made your priorities list... because both are pretty high on mine too! :-)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM

@Cassandra~ Thanks!

@Kate~ Oh, no I didn't take it the wrong way at all! I just don't want anyone out there worried I'll regret my entire lifestyle if I get cancer tomorrow...

@Audreya~ You'd think a super saver like me would skip out on dvr, but at this point I can't imagine life without it!

Anonymous,  February 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM

So happy you blow money on TV! Dude, it's your life - if you're living it like you want to (and sounds like you are) - then yee haw!

craftosaurus February 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM

One of my favorite things is people who live the life they want to live, joyfully and unapologetically. I applaud you!

k + b February 12, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Good points. People can be really sensitive about stuff like money spending choices sometimes so it's easy to hit a nerve. It's easy to see where you make different decisions than me. For example, we don't subscribe to cable saving around $100/ month by going with Netflix. Which in a year funds about half of our annual vacations. It doesnt mean one is right or wrong... ;)

chacha February 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM

We are pretty frugal too (living on one income with a big mortgage, you gotta be). We hardly ever go out to eat, make our meals from scratch, I take leftovers to work, go to like one movie a year (if that), half my clothes are thrift store finds, etc.

The only thing that I think you should reconsider is the not vacationing (I seem to remember you saying that). We don't go anywhere crazy, but taking a road trip to a national park is cheap and it is awesome to see different parts of the country. Our trip to Zion National Park was cheap (like maybe $350 including gas since we camped and my parents dog-sat) and it was great hiking the trails, having a doe walk into our campsite. At the very least exploring the national parks is worthwhile.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards February 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Great post. It sounds like you have made a life to love. Friends of ours are often shocked that we don't have cable, but we just 'splurged' for Netfix and you know what? We don't have time to use it. We may cancel that, too. It's all about making your money decisions work for you - that's my mantra.

Amanda- Hip House Girl February 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I'm glad you posted a follow-up post. It takes courage to put your life on the internet for all to judge! Some of those comments were just plain rude, but I'm glad that you're the kind of person who probably knows to take those with a grain of salt.

I personally would never spend that kinda dough on cable, but I'm not over here judging you for doing so, just as I don't feel judged by you for spontaneously going out to eat. Our lives are different, but I don't think one is more full and rich than the other.

I always think of my grandpa. His advance planning for retirement has made it so he's able to live comfortably, fly out to visit family whenever he wants, and take us grandkids out to dinner or lunch often. To me, for an 85 year-old man, I think that sounds like a pretty full life! I'm happy that he was able to save for that kind of lifestyle- it benefits so many more people than just him. That was kind of a tangent, but I just hope people think of that kind of thing while they're young.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM

@chacha~ I know, I need to let loose with the vacation budget. At least we do make the most of the time we spend with families. Like last May, I went to visit my sister in Buffaly, NY and we drove up to Canada to do a half marathon. The year before that, Nate and I went to North Carolina for Thanksgiving with his family. I do get out, just not to places like the beach.

waldobungie February 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM

From reading your blog, it doesn't sound like you guys are suffering from the life you choose to live. It sounds like you guys spend money where you think it's important and you aren't tempted to spend on material things that aren't so important to you. GOOD FOR YOU! For all the haters, you write a blog about being THRIFTY. If they don't like it, they shouldn't read your blog. You go, girl! Ignore those haters - but way to call them out. Very brave!

Mel February 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I'm not a fan of blog haters. I read your blog not because I could ever live the same lifestyle you do, but because it's interesting.

Even though I believe in taking annual vacations to recharge and refresh, I'm still looking for ways to be thrifty in other areas so I have those luxuries without going into debt for them.

Sometimes I find them here. Sometimes I don't. And maybe sometimes I think you're crazy (please read that lighthearted as it's intended to be). It's your life and your blog.

Frankly, I think it's refreshing to read a blog that's not all about posting what I wore today and what designer did this or that. That's not what life's about people. And no amount of money spent (or saved) can ever replace the experiences and relationships you have with PEOPLE.

Keep blogging Kasey. I know I'll keep reading!

Booker's Mom April 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I think you are amazing. You and everyone else should live their lives the way they want and it seems the way you live your life brings you joy! I, like you love to do things myself instead of spending a bunch of money on something. There is no better feeling than knowing you saved money just by doing a fun project! Keep up the good work!!