Please Spend My Money

>> 2.16.2011

So, I want to get one of these Lowe's tax refund promotional cards, but I'm just not so sure how much to put on it. If you haven't heard of it yet, it's basically a gift card that you load up with an amount between $500-5,000 then they add 10% of your original amount back to the card on March 18th. I've already called ahead to make sure you can use this card in addition to other promotions or coupons and to verify that it never expires so it seems like a pretty great deal (imagine $1,000 + $100 + using an additional 10% off coupon or a 20% off promotion). Plus, my Gap rewards card (which I pay off at the end of each month) is doing triple points right now so I can earn an additional rewards card from them by doing this.

So... based on the fact that I've spent over $4,000 at Lowe's in the last 12 months alone (seriously- we're talking new kitchen appliances, a new sliding glass door, etc), what amount would you put into this card?
And yes, I think it would be pretty sweet to get a new mixer or vaccum for "free" just for paying ahead for my normal spending.

Kate@TwentySixToLife February 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I have no idea, but I've been wondering this too. I would love to hear what others say. It seems like a great deal. You can't beat free money!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

...free money that you were planning on spending anyways!

I don't want to tie up to much of my cash, but at the same time, how many investments have a 10% return in a month?

Elisa @ What the Vita February 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I definitely would do this if I wasn't planning on using our tax return money to pay off a credit card...

Jenna Scott February 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I want to do this, I just got mine in the mail yesterday (the offer card) and thought it was fabulous.

My only problem is, I'd need my tax refund money in order to do this, and it wont be here until "sometime in March." If I get it by March 14th, I'll def be putting 500 in!

Jennifer February 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

oh wow I haven't heard of this! I'll throw this info at my husband tonight! thanks for posting this!!! <3

I'd put at least 500 on it.. hmm... No clue what i'm getting back either!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Sara February 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

It is such an awesome promotion. I was wondering Kasey who did you call? I just bought a new cooktop, hood and paid for the install through Lowe's. I asked if I could buy the $700 gift card on my Lowe's card using their interest free financing promotion and then use the card to pay for the stove etc. The cashier told me no. I'd love to run it by someone else.

PS I'd put at least $500 on there.

Cassandra Miles February 16, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Well, it depends - how much are you going to spend on Lowe's in the future? Do you always purchase your stuff there? For example, are you planning to gut your bathroom and purchase a sink/toilet there instead of Ebay or the ReStore?

You've spent that much in the past, yes, and you're planning to spend stuff in the future, but since it never expires, I'd load that sucker up as much as I comfortably could! :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

@Jennifer~ Just remember that you don't actually need to use the refund to get a card.

@Sara~ I called their 1-800 number and spoke to the gift card department. I know that you can make card purchases directly through that number so I'd give it a shot.

@Cassandra~ Well, it's my #1 big box hardware store so I'm always over there buying random tools and last minute supplies :).

Sara @ Russet Street Reno February 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I think if you shop there all the time, but a grand on it! $100 free is amazing. We don't have a Lowe's very close to us, so I wouldn't do this one.

kristi.w. February 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM

You know, I had that very vacuum and returned it. It didn't have as much suction power as my $25 plug-in vacuum, and it only lasts for 6 minutes at a time on a full charge. Just sharing my experience.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards February 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

This is so funny. I was just at Lowe's yesterday trying to work out our cabinetry and learned about this. We'll be buying appliances, cabinetry, countertops and fixtures, so it seems silly not to buy several.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog February 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

@Kim~ Wow, if I were in your position, I would be throwing money at those cards then taking advantage of the appliance/ countertop promotions they have going on!