March and the Yard

>> 3.01.2011

A lot of people really like March because spring begins, the weather gets warmer, the time changes etc. Well I like those things too, but I hate March. It's not the spring part that gets me, it's the "you think you're finished with winter but you actually have three more weeks" part that gets me every time. Each year I hate thinking that I'm finally finished with the cold weather just to have a random cold front come back in and ruin my outdoor plans- or my new plants for that matter!

So, even though I know that you're not supposed to do a bunch of planting before March is clear, I did a little garden work recently (and, of course I'll blame March if or when a freeze kills my plants):

I figured it would be okay if a freeze came because the new plants were at least f-r-e-e! Call us cheap if you want, but Nate and I actually dug out several native plants from my parent's land (30 acres- they won't miss them) and transplanted them over to our bare beds last week. I can't wait to add more plants and even some colorful flowers after I'm sure that frost won't get to them!

Before that happens, we'd really like to get to work on screening off the unsightly A/C unit and compost bin:

I really like the modern look of a horizontal slatted screen:

...but I haven't been able to come across a wood slat option that would be affordable. So far, the least expensive/ not ugly option that I've come up with is to make something like this from pre-fab trellis at Lowe's:

I'm hesitant to go for this option simply because it's not really my style, but it would definitely be a quicker and cost effective choice.

To Recap:

Should I just go for the affordable off-the-rack diagonal trellis or are there any inexpensive modern options that I'm missing out there?

Nancy March 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

hey kelsey,

I don't know about a screen option ... but, I live in Denver and just heard about free trees and free plants/bushes that the city transplants. You basically just need to contact them for it. You should see if your city offers something similar

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

@Nancy~ What a great program! I know my city gives out free mulch, but I'm not sure about other plants. I'll have to check!

Anonymous,  March 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Hi Kasey!

Old shipping pallets are quite easily obtained via Craigslist or Freecycle.org and could be taken apart to make one of those slatted screens you mentioned.
Go thrifty! Sarah

katiekathleen March 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I don't think pre-fab trellis is tooooo bad, it's the colors that get me. Maybe with a solid coat of dark stain?

Keep an eye out on Craig's List too for free plants - I scored 3 rose bushes that way!

Lynn March 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Not much different from the trellis but a prefab fence panel would do the trick, like the dog ear type. Should be able to maybe cut them to the right size also.

Tovah March 1, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I too was going to suggest a fence panel or even just check out the alternate trellis options at your Lowes/home depot. I would avoid putting up something just because it is cheap--because if you are like me you are just going to want to replace it as soon as possible and then you'll be out the money for the cheap option AND the money for whatever else you choose.

m @ random musings March 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM

You could prob get the cedar fence slats and install them horizontally for a modern look. [google image 'cedar economy fence']. The come in 6-8' lengths , so it shouldn't take too many to hide the ac unit.

Cindy @The Flipping Couple March 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Oh, this made me laugh. I live in Minnesota and we still have over three feet of snow on the ground. We don't dare plant anything until the end of May! So I'm living vicariously through you and your bare ground. Hope your new plants survive!!

Amanda- Hip House Girl March 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Can I just say that I love when you do the writing on your photos? I love it.

Yeah the trellis isn't too bad, and if it were me I would probably do that out of ease/saving money. But if you wanted to get a little more involved, it might be fun to build something similar to that other fence.

In other news, your yard is looking really nice, I'm jealous of your March springtime, and free plants are the best!