Resolution Update

>> 3.08.2011

My big goal for 2011 is to complete the projects that I start. The result so far? Uh, I might as well get a tattoo on my wrist because I'm 100% #winning. So far, I've done boring non-blogworthy things like paint all of the trim in my house, filled a gap around the granite counters, and reorganized the pantry. This weekend, Nate and I finally got to one of the last giant unfinished projects of the house:

Back in 2009, the first project I attacked in my house was the popcorn ceiling removal. Can you believe that while I scraped 900+ square feet (including two vaulted ceilings), I actually lived in this tiny second bedroom- the only dust-free place in the house? Once it was clean enough to move out, I just wasn't up to finishing out the retexturing so it sat untouched (walls and all)... until now:

Woo! Better already, right?!

I'll give credit where credit is due- Nate was actually the one who dominated this room. We work best on a parallel project basis- he took on the bedroom alone while I focused on the bathroom:

Not only did the ceilings have to go in here, but the walls came down as well:

SOMEONE decided that it would be smarter to slap on ugly texture rather than simply removing the wallpaper that they didn't like... and I'm dealing with my third bathroom of it :(.

Obviously there will be some big changes ahead in here, so stay tuned!!

PS Speaking of winning, I've got a pretty amazing giveaway coming your way tomorrow!

PPS I'd be happy to answer any popcorn removal questions in the comments. You can also read about my 2009 adventures in popcorn here and here.

Mrs. Chic March 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Popcorn removal is messy!!

I still gasp when I see that Home Depot sells cans of it!!! Why on earth would anyone want their ceilings to look like cottage cheese!!! lol

Glad you got it taken care of

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

@Mrs. Chic~ I know! I'd rather just take down the entire ceiling than buy a single can of that patch stuff!!

cm March 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Nate's a gem. By the way, pat yourself on the back for tackling that boring but oh-so-necessary task of painting the trim. One of my good buddies, a painting contractor, shook his head in sympathy when I told him I was mid-way through that mind- and hand-numbing project.

"Yeah, it's wicked time-consuming" (in New England, wicked means anything from "very" to the f-bomb. "But it sure brightens up the space."

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess March 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Ugh, you are giving me flashbacks to our popcorn removal! That stuff is truly heinous. I hate it so much that we even paid pros to do that for us, even though we are gung-ho about DIY the rest of the time... but that dust, you can't escape it.

And the painted-over wallpaper... why?!?! I can't count how many times I cursed the former homeowners as I scraped and scraped and scraped. But fortunately for me it was only in one bathroom where they'd painted over it. I can't imagine doing three!

Sending lots of happy thoughts your way. Hope you can find some peaceful moments among what has got to be a load of frustration! :-)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

@Tanja~ Thanks, at least I knew what to expect this time :).

Meredith Travels March 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Wooo! Good work!

I bet your arms are sore from all of that scraping. A few years ago I helped some friends scrape their ceiling and my shoulders were dying the next day!

I'm excited to see the final product!

Liz March 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Not a popcorn question... but a question.
I noticed you have high, long windows--what kind of window treatments do you put on them? My house is full of long, high windows and I just have boring shades. Any suggestions or resources? I hadn't noticed them on your blog until now!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM

@Liz~ Faux Roman shade! http://high-heelfootinthedoor.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post.html

Mommyto3andahusky March 9, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to let you know that I am a new follower! :) love your blog!Erin

www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

Kate March 9, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I feel your pain on the popcorn ceilings, well, mostly my hubs feels your pain. Three years ago he scraped the popcorn ceilings in our condo...all 1500 square feet of it! Some popcorn ceilings are worse than others and ours was AWFUL. At least once a week I still look up at the ceilings and think how much better they look. It's a lot of work, but at least it's a pretty cheap fix!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d March 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Good for you! Popcorn is SO UGLY! The person who invented it should have serious doubts about their capabilities! The ceiling (and your bathroom walls!!) look so much better already! Can't wait to see the end result!