what a weekend

>> 3.21.2011

This was one of those weekends that I felt like I was just bleeding money! First, there was there was the scheduled splurge on house-wide carpet, couch, and rug cleaning. We definitely went all out getting the pet treatments (thanks, Hugo) and upholstery done... to the tune of $350. Not only did we end up with good as new carpets, but a hectic mess in the living room:

This, I would have been fine with... I can handle a bit of chaos in the house for a good cause and the $350 isn't so bad considering how great the results ended up in each room, BUT taking Hugo to the emergency vet in the middle of all of it was just a pain!

Yes, I now realize that I shouldn't have even put the pancakes in the compost in the first place.
Yes, we had a barricade around the compost bin.
Yes, Hugo is the sneakiest little piglet of a dog you'll ever meet (he's the same one who ate an ice pack last year).

Somehow he managed to chew off the door to the bottom of the compost (in the five minutes he was left alone out there) then crawl inside the bin and eat enough junk that it looked like a little furry brown balloon with a pug-like face was walking around the yard. Knowing that compost can be toxic to dogs and bloat is a serious concern when they eat too much, we tried to use hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up. After we maxed out the vet's recommended dosage of peroxide, we were basically forced into taking him in so that he could get a stronger puke pill. As thrifty as I am, I will never avoid taking vet advice in order to keep my pups healthy so a couple hours later, Hugo lost the equivalent of 20% of his body weight in pancakes and I lost another $140. Then because the day couldn't end there, I got to spend $60 on a tank of gas on the ride home. Boo!

At least they'll turn into rewards points...

How not-thrifty was your weekend?

la mì March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

wonderful post!
HI! My name's martina and I come from Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want, follow me! I ait you and your tips! kisses ;D
marti
Glamour Marmalade

Comeca Jones March 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I got a ticket Friday evening after leaving the thriftstore:( Way to save huh?! lol

Heather March 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I'm sorry your weekend was so cruddy but thank you for the laugh--that "Assessment: Pancake ingestion" cracked me up.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM

@Comeca Jones~ I think your story has mine beat!! Thrifty-fail ;)

@Heather~ Sitting on a chair in the middle of my living room- because the couch, rug, and entire upstairs were still wet- I had to laugh at it too!

Audreya March 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Bruiser has had to make a few trips to the vet for eating things he shouldn't. Because dachshund bloat easily, I'm always a little antsy and probably take him even when it is just something that would run its course, but better safe than sorry!

Between grocery shopping, kids' birthday parties, and supplies for a couple projects around the house, my weekend didn't turn out very thrifty either. But at least -for once - it didn't involve dog puke.

The Brick Cottage March 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Aww, poor Hugo. Glad he's OK!

LizzieBeth March 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I am proud to say that I purchased a washer and dryer for $350-- for the set!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno March 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You know, I think from Thursday through Sunday we probably spent close to $300 in drinks, dinners, and coffees. Seriously, we were SO lazy about cooking and boozed it up this Pattys day weekend. UGH!

Oonafey March 21, 2011 at 8:52 PM

hehe, when we first got Gidget she ate an acorn squash skin the Mr. had neglected to actually put INTO the compost pile. She pooped bright yellow for three days. Poor baby.

Meg March 22, 2011 at 7:10 AM

OMG, I think I need a good carpet, couch and rug cleaning! I can't wait to see your results. We spring cleaned this weekend, but with old carpeting and a cream colored couch, I seriously need to copy you.

So sorry about Hugo! He's just too well aware of the delicious nature of pancakes. And I also think it's Murphy's Law that as soon as you get money or spend a good chunk, something unexpected and pricey pops up. But I'm glad he's OK!

Lee and I installed our new appliances this weekend: a fridge, stove, dishwasher and hood all from ApplianceSmart. We got a good deal,but we also didn't go for the cheapest. If you're going to spend so much money, I figure you should spend it on what you like!

Jenna Scott March 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM

My great dane recently ate a TON of grass (that I just planted last weekend, the whole grass concept is new to him). Not only did I have a giant barfing dog (who only threw up on carpet, even though half of the house is tile) but I had to go back to the store to get more grass to fill the spots he ate, and buy fertilizer (non-toxic dog safe) to get the grass to grow together right. Erg.

Looks like both of our dogs ate things they shouldn't have this weekend!

Kate@TwentySixToLife March 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

It's okay to laugh since Hugo is fine now right? Those vet notes are too funny. I am sorry you had to deal with that though, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time! :(

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog March 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM

@Kate~ It was funny as soon as he threw them up (and we knew he'd be okay)... I mean, you would not believe the number of pancakes this tiny dog shoved down!

grunge-queen March 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Oh, I feel for you. I have a geriatric kitty who's asthmatic and has diabetes - it adds up. Hope your wee pooch is doing fine!

I had a very non-thrifty wkend too - my eyeball prescription has changed and I now need bifocals too - $300 to start, eeps (just ranted about it on my blog; too funny we went through similar experiences! Except my living room doesn't look as nice).

waldobungie March 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Pancake ingestion?!

Oh my, the things we do for our dogs!

andiezoe March 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

the post made me laugh out loud. poor hugo!

Angela,  March 18, 2012 at 7:37 PM