easy weekend project

>> 4.19.2011

Please don't get mad at me for blogging about this. I know that DIY headboards are so 2009, but trust me, you'll want to blog about one too once you do it yourself.

Remember the $2 thrift store curtain panel that I wanted to use as a base for the room's design?

It got stapled to a piece of plywood this weekend:

I used the geometric pattern as a guide to centering the fabric and stapled away. The whole process took less than an hour (I started and finished during Last Cake Standing on Sunday night)!
Here's a look at my staple order:

And the headboard in the guest room:
Don't worry, the side table is temporary and I have plans to add a little art and interest to the bed.

I don't have the receipts on hand (I'll make sure to check them for a full budget guest room breakdown), but from what I can remember, the costs were:
$2 thrift store curtain panel
$14 plywood cut from Lowe's (only used half)
$6 batting at JoAnn's
$5 mirror hangers from Lowe's
*I had the staples on hand from another project
Total: $27ish
Total time: <1 hour of stapling + shopping time

Mrs. Chic April 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Kasey, I agree once you make a headboard yourself a blog post is a must!! Great thinking using a curtain panel!!! like the subtle pattern a lot

Jenna @ SpitzerStories April 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I don't think DIY headboard posts are overdone at all! I am always looking for new ideas/ways to construct a headboard and this plan seems to be the most do-able yet. And the results are great. Awesome!

Liz April 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

DIY headboards are so popular because they are so easy and so satisfying. I don't think I'm ever buying a bed! Good for you-- it looks great!

Audreya April 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Love it! I've been wanting to do this too. I see you used mirror hangers. What weight or size or whatever it is they are measured by? And just at the corners or did you do one in the center too? I'll be using it in our master bedroom so just want to make sure it's secure.

Lauren April 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I still love DIY Headboards! I love the fabric that you choose! Looks great! :)

Kasey @ Thrifty Little Blog April 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

@Audreya~ I just picked up one that said 50 lbs. I don't know if I can give advice about making it really secure because I thought guest room = limited use.

I would definitely ask the hardware people what they would suggest you use!

Kiley April 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM

What? I love the little "side" table. What is it? An old filing cabinet? Anyways, I dig the silver with the tan headboard. Nice job!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog April 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

@Kiley~ They're stackable cubes I got from the Container Store about 10 years ago. I like them, but the height is a little off for the low bed. Luckily, I have a table in my garage right now that should work better.

Erin April 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Kasey - I love it! And it has inspired me - so don't think that it's a 2009 idea, cuz I just may attempt it myself soon! And I'll be sure to check out curtains at the thrift store - what a great idea! Beautious!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards April 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Cute! I really like the fabric and am always a fan of a headboard project.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner April 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I haven't gotten tired of seeing DIY headboards, so I'm glad you showed us! It's always fun to see what different people come up with. Yours looks great - and you can't beat that price!!

Brittany April 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I love the fabric! That looks awesome!

laura@imnotatrophywife.com April 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM

new follower as soon as i saw your plywood and one tank of gas challenge. visiting from

laura

Jeannine @ Small and Chic April 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM

There is some serious winning there! Wow!!!

Jordan@the2seasons April 21, 2011 at 5:51 AM

I love these headboards they are so easy and the price is right. It looks good!

KT @ KT's Refinishing School April 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I love the headboard! I have several yards of very similar fabric in a bag in my closet that may have to make an appearance on a headboard soon :)

nancy @ {COZAMIA} April 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I'm totally NOT over DIY headboards or DIY anything for that matter as long as I can save some cash! I love how yours turned out, i am seriously thinking of doing one and yes, I will also post!

You should visit me, maybe you can win a nifty art print for this room if you see one you like :)

Heather @ REOlisticRenovation May 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I totally need to do this in our master bedroom only even if everyone says it's easy I am not convinced...you are convincing me. :) I think I might be ready to try.