Death of a Computer

>> 5.09.2011

Our desktop computer died last week. We thought replacing the hard drive would bring the thing back to life, but it didn't and now we're in need of a new computer. Thanks to Nate being ana.. really careful about always moving important files over to the external hard drive, we're not suffering a great loss.

please excuse the dust bunnies that jumped out of the computer

I'll admit that I'm sorta excited about having an excuse to upgrade to a more sleek-looking computer (I know, I should probably care more about performance than looks... but I don't).

This would be the dream... but Apple computers tend to be among the priciest out there, have bad markdowns, and the one Powerbook that I had died quickly and had a short battery life. Still, I love their simple designs. I'm sure that anything will be better than this cluttered mess (note tower and giant speakers):

From my research, I've found that there tend to be a few good times of the year to buy computers:
1. after the holidays
2. during Black Friday sales (if you can get one)
3. when a lot of new models are coming out (beginning/ middle of year)

We've decided on making things work without one for a month or so while we look for the most affordable option that will meet our needs. Until then, what advice do you have for getting great deals on computers?

Hannah May 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I'm Apple biased (My '05 powerbook lasted through 3 years of collegiate wear and tear, then another two of working from home, my little brother still uses it), but I definitely understand their price tags are pretty unfriendly. They sometimes have could refurbished deals on their website, but if you get friendly with the staff at your local Best Buy, you might be able to score a refurbished/returned deal there as well. They don't put them online or advertise them, but a friend of mine got a macbook pro for half off that someone had returned and it works perfectly. Might be worth looking into!

Kat May 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I 2nd the comment above. I bought my laptop refurbished from the Apple website. After doing a lot of research I actually found out that the refurbished ones are better than the original because the bugs that sometimes happen have been fixed. I've had my laptop for about 2 years now and haven't had one issue with it yet.

I believe I got about $400 off the original price tag

Kasey @ Thrifty Little Blog May 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

@Hannah and Kat~ Hmm, you're stories make going for an Apple really tempting! I'll tell Nate about your tips, thanks!

Jenna Scott May 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

My tablet hp died in January, so I talked to family and they all recommended Apple. I went and bought the MacBookPro, it's got an 8 hour battery life (seriously my computer really does last 8 hours) and has been fabulous. I bought new, so it was pricey, but totally worth it to have a laptop that lasts 8 hours and doesn't suck up viruses like an hp!!

Carole May 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM

i second the refurbished Apple idea--I have had 2 refurbs, and they are great! The refurbished 'last generation' models have the best discounts (and new iMacs just came out), so have a look!

Amanda- Hip House Girl May 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I love my Mac, but it hasn't been without its problems. The battery completely died (if someone bumps the power cord the thing dies immediately, which makes couch web surfing more stressful than it should be!). My track pad is all wonky. But other than that, I love it.

I got it when my local university was having a sale and clearing out the previous year's inventory. I got it with a student discount and they were also having a tax-free day. I wasn't a student, but Stan was. If you know a student, maybe a nearby university does the same thing?

Amy @ Lovely Nest May 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I too have a Mac and love it. My first macbook pro lasted me about 4 years and I'm now on my second. My only problem has been with a battery that neeeded replaced on my first one, but that was 3 years in, so not too bad considering. I was able to purchase both of mine with student/teacher discounts, which takes a few hundred off depending on what model you get. They're pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Especially when you don't have to worry so much about viruses, etc...

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog May 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM

@Amanda/ Amy~ Of the people I know with them, almost everyone has some sort of battery problems... it's the only major negative, I guess.

Hilary @ My So-Called Home May 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM

We just got ourselves an iMac for Christmas as a dual-present after our laptops died (a Toshiba that lasted 2 years and an HP that barely made one). We decided to invest in a desktop that would last longer than a laptop which definitely takes more of a beating and since we're not in school anymore we didn't need something portable.

We debated which one to get and the 21.5" brand new was only $70 less than the 27" refurbished so we sprung for the 27' refurb. We have not had a single issue and it was packaged like a perfectly brand new Mac, all pieces individually wrapped and protected and all the manuals in perfect condition.

So I'd say spring for the Mac desktop- you won't regret it!

Angela May 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I have had two apples...and no problems ever! Unlike the horrors of having a Dell for three years that was constantly in the shop. My powerbook from college (2005) still works great and we use it everyday!

Anonymous,  May 10, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I have been satisfied with a Sony, which I think is a step up from HP/Compaq but not as expensive as an Apple.

Good luck in your search!

Liz May 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

There are generally a lot of good sales right before kids go back to school.

Stephanie,  May 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM

Im jumping on with everyone else to say that I love Apple as well.
I've got one when i started university (Im graduated now) and when I had a problem with my battery I went into the store and they replaced it for free.
I definitely recommend buying AppleCare before your first year is up, it covers everything except water damage....but you cant really spill water on an iMac lol